Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse ..thinking of buying

Options
  • 26-11-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I live in Enfield. I want to buy a horse for the young lad....11 yrs.
    Ideally I hoped to get some kind of insurance to cover major bills or unforeseen accident. I don't have land etc so it would be kept at the equestrian centre.

In the times that are in it , finance is an issue , I was just looking for advice to avoid pit falls etc .... It will probably be next summer when I buy ..also is any particular horse type to go for ...young lad has experience on horses and works in stables in summertime. Any idea of price / what to watch for when purchasing.

Many thanks

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Before buying you need to think of the following:

- How tall is your son now, and how long do you expect him to have the horse for? As he will surely be growing a lot - this will determine the size horse.
    - What does he want to do with the horse? If he wants to compete seriously, then the horses you'll be looking at may be more expensive.
    - How much experience has your son got? This will determine what kind of horse you get.

If you have no experience with horses, I'd look to be asking someone with experience to help you out in your search - maybe the stables your son rides at can help?

Livery for a horse depends on how much you're able to do yourself. Some horses do quite well living out all year round (depends on the type of horse you buy, liaise with your Yard Owner for advice on this), and you can get grass livery sometimes for about €30 a week, DIY stable livery for €45 a week, and full livery can be upwards of €90 a week. The more you can do yourself, the cheaper it will be.

The inital costs of the horse will really be nothing compared to the ongoing costs. There's shoeing every 6 weeks which can be about €70 for a full set, rugs to be purchased/repaired, tack to be bought/repaired, and lessons, show entries, transport etc if your son wants to compete or attend hunts etc.

Great that you're looking at insurance - really great to have IMO. Allianz and Wexford Insurances do equine insurance.

Above all, keep in mind the commitment to the horse. It's not like buying a car, where if he loses interest you can just park it up. If he does lose interest, it will fall to you to take care of/provide for. Ensure he does have an interest and you have the funds/commitment to help him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I live in Enfield. I want to buy a horse for the young lad....11 yrs.
    Ideally I hoped to get some kind of insurance to cover major bills or unforeseen accident. I don't have land etc so it would be kept at the equestrian centre.

In the times that are in it , finance is an issue , I was just looking for advice to avoid pit falls etc .... It will probably be next summer when I buy ..also is any particular horse type to go for ...young lad has experience on horses and works in stables in summertime. Any idea of price / what to watch for when purchasing.

Many thanks

Paddy

Paddy - based on your post (maybe you have more experience than your post implies) you have no business going ahead with this without urgent help from an experienced person you can trust - what about the yard owner where you son rides currently?

Dont misintrepret this, but the idea of you buying a child's first pony/horse based only on pointers and tips you might get from a web forum, however well meaning, is scary.

Edit - also, sign him up for the Pony Club when you get going, check the Kildare Branch website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

works in stables in summertime.

If you trust the people who run these stables, talk to them. Ask them (and others) to keep an eye out for a suitable horse, ask re costs and insurance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KazNCD

If you trust the people who run these stables, talk to them. Ask them (and others) to keep an eye out for a suitable horse, ask re costs and insurance etc.

Maybe ask at these stables if there is anyone who is interested in part sharing their horse with your son 2/3 times a week. This will give you both an idea of the costs and committment involved before getting in too deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Mr Tank.....you may note i say next summer! nothing urgent about it ...so relax!
    I am commencing my enquiries and starting here! I have a reasonable amount of intelligence , hence my endeavoring to find more information..Thank you for your advice.

• Advertisement

============================================
    thank you , we leased one last year and he loved it...he is very sure of his love of horses so.......thinking of buying ....next logical step! thks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Mr Tank.....you may note i say next summer! nothing urgent about it ...so relax!
    I am commencing my enquiries and starting here! I have a reasonable amount of intelligence , hence my endeavoring to find more information..Thank you for your advice.

I doubt that Mr Tank (:D) was questioning your intelligence and that his/her post was well meaning and has bases. :) There has been plenty of cases where an owner rushed into buying a horse and it was a huge mistake, hence the number of abandoned horses in the country (although this number is vastly exaggerated by the media).

Anyway, the tip about going through the school is a good one, they would not only know what to look for but also what your son is capable of riding.

Make sure you can fit a horse comfortably into your budget, not only for regular spending but also for emergency vet or farrier bills.

For an 11 year old, I'd suggest something around 13-14hh but this depends on your sons height/weight. I would also suggest something aged (in the teens) and possibly cob type (but again, depends on the horse and your son). If you do find a horse, (assuming you bring someone experienced with working with horses with you to buy), be sure to take it on trial.

sup_dude wrote: »
    I doubt that Mr Tank (:D) was questioning your intelligence and that his/her post was well meaning and has bases. :) There has been plenty of cases where an owner rushed into buying a horse and it was a huge mistake, hence the number of abandoned horses in the country (although this number is vastly exaggerated by the media).

Quite sure your correct! he has been helpful....by saying next summer in my original post would have indicate the opposite of "rushing ...in" thats all!!:D

I much appreciate all the good advice I have been given , thank you.

yes , he had a cob , last year , and he enjoyed it ....would you recommend a vet inspection? I would get this done anyway i reckon , as I am anxious to avoid , medical bills , which could have been noted by a vet initially and perhaps hold on for another horse.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

would you recommend a vet inspection?

I would insist on a vet inspection :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I would go even further again and go for a 5-stage vetting. You will need a 5 stage vetting for insurance, insurance companies will require it. Costs in the region of €100 - €150 depending on the vet, but will save you excessive vet bills down the line should your horse have any pre-existing conditions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement