Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time Kit user - what to put in?

Options
  • 26-11-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My boyfriend who is teetotal, very kindly got me a brew kit for my birthday. I do enjoy a lovely beer :)

I've not even started and I already have so many Qs. I would be very grateful for a few pointers before I get going.

KIT: Wheat Beer.

The kit did not come with instructions, so I'm a bit confused about the main contents, the first of which are:
    Coopers Malt Extract Tin [net weight 1.5K]
    Muntons Wheat Beer 40 pint Beer kit Tin

I am not sure if I am supposed to put both of these in together in the same batch?

Second query, in the Sticky it says to put the bung in the lid, so there still shoud be a small hole/opening in the lid?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but I really want to get cracking on this in time to make a second batch for Christmas, as I am sure i will mess up this first one!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Feu wrote: »
    Coopers Malt Extract Tin [net weight 1.5K]
    Muntons Wheat Beer 40 pint Beer kit Tin

I am not sure if I am supposed to put both of these in together in the same batch?
    Yes, you are. Before opening them, put the tins in some hot water for a while to soften them up. Put about 5L of boiling hot water into your sanitised fermenter, add the contents of the tins, stir it really thoroughly, then top up with cold water stirring vigorously all the way through. When you have it filled to 20L and fully mixed in you should have a gravity somewhere in the 1.040s and a temperature around 25C. Add the yeast in, and you're done.
    Second query, in the Sticky it says to put the bung in the lid, so there still shoud be a small hole/opening in the lid?
    There usually is, for fitting an airlock. If there isn't don't worry about it. Just leave the lid on loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

thanks so much, does the tin opener need to be sterilised?

ta

That shouldn't be necessary.

hi again, should i also add the spray malt as well as above 2 tins?

No. You can substitute the malt extract tin for a kilo of spraymalt but you don't need them both.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help, she's all tucked up now anyway, for better or worse!

On a related note - Is it safe to have the fermenter quite close to heating pipes, say 18 inches, like it won't blow up or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

On a related note - Is it safe to have the fermenter quite close to heating pipes, say 18 inches, like it won't blow up or anything?

No, but it might raise the temperature of the fermenting beer. I doubt if that would be a concern unless it was enclosed (like a hot press).

You really want your beer to be in the range of 18-20C

thanks sharingan, seems to be steady at 20C now, so hopefully should be alright, and thanks again beer nut

Hi folks
    More help needed please :)

Beer is fermenting away, a good nice beery smell from the hole, colour has lightened well, there is a foamy crud on the top. So all good. However, there is no bubbling that can hear or see. So im not sure how I'll know when it's done and ready to bottle.
    Any advice appreciated!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

[Quote=Feu ; 10-14 days and bottle it up

• Advertisement

In the second week take a gravity reading every couple of days. Once you get two readings the same, somewhere in the 1.008 to 1.016 zone, it's done.

Thanks so much for coming back to me. i will do as advised thanks :)

- this the same for Wheat beer? apparently the vendor told my boyfriend wheat beer would be ready for bottling after 1 week. I'm not in a rush, just want to get it right

this the same for Wheat beer?
    Yep, for all room temperature fermentations, so every kit beer.
    the vendor told my boyfriend wheat beer would be ready for bottling after 1 week.
    And the instructions often say this too. Fermentation might be finished after a week, depending on temperature, but it's a good idea to give it the extra week anyway. Beer is best not rushed: you can leave it safely in the fermenter for six or seven weeks, but two or three usually does.

ah brilliant, that's really cleared it up for me! I know it's only a kit beer, but I'm pretty excited. Now to think of a name!

An update!
    My first batch of wheat beer "very bad elf"for Christmas obviously! turned out brilliantly. Or at least half of it did. I bottled in 2 batches, due to time constraints, and the first batch was gorgeous, proper wheatty, creamy, with a nice effervescence. The second batch was flat and undrinkable. I think that might have been down to an error in sanitising. Thanks again to the people that helped out above :)

I've made a New batch :) hopefully it will be more terminator 2, than gremlins 2. I have a couple of queries if anyone can help?

First thing, i brewed the batch last Saturday ( 8 days ago),on Tuesday evening (about 3 days in ), it bubbled up and out through the top bung hole and the lid and the teeny holes for the fernenter handles. The scum / froth has now totally abated. Should i be concerned? This did not happen the last time.

Secondly, related to the first, will this affect taste or brewing process? I checked gravity today and yesterday and its static at 1.16. I did use a different starter than last time, but think that levelled out at 1.08. Is 1.16 on the high side? Its a wheat beer.

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

I checked gravity today and yesterday and its static at 1.16. I did use a different starter than last time, but think that levelled out at 1.08. Is 1.16 on the high side? Its a wheat beer.

1016 , what was o.g ? What was put with kit ?

I have done a few wheat kits that finished 1014-1016 but started 1054 ,as 1.5kg spraymalt used

tteknulp wrote: »

1016 , what was o.g ? What was put with kit ?

I have done a few wheat kits that finished 1014-1016 but started 1054 ,as 1.5kg spraymalt used

Hi there thanks for that, mine was similar, o.g. 1050, and Coopers Malt Extract Tin [net weight 1.5K] was added. Think i will keep an eye til tomorrow anyway and see.

Thanks.!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

Fermentation temps this time?

Hi Joctl,

apologies for delay in response. Temps are same as before, steady 18-20. Although perhaps the cold in the past 2 weeks affected it. I have bottled it now, but i have a bad feeling it's "corked" or whatever you pro's call it.

I shall wait a while to open one, but i have a bad feeling brewing. Ah ha ha.

Advertisement