Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options
  • 26-11-2012 9:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Not really sure where to post this, so sorry if its in the wrong forum.

I am a transition year student who is interested in film and film production i have not done a a lot in the lines of production but am interested in it and am wondering do you guys know any places i could go to that would give me an insight into production and maybe even the editing side of things. I would love to gain some experience in this, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

First and best way to get work experience in a post house or a production company is if you (or your parents) know anyone that's involved in the industry. Any time I've encountered people doing work experience it's nearly always been a nephew of someone in the place or a relative of a friend of the business.

So if you know anyone that's connected with the industry be extra nice to them and ask them is there anything they could do to get you in for a while.

Are you based in Dublin?

There's lots of post production houses around where you could see editing in action. Be warned though that some editors will not want a student sitting in with them as they work (it all depends on the person really and the job they're doing). But you might get to watch an assistant setting getting an edit ready.

Production offices might always have use for a student - be prepared to make lots of coffee, run to the post office/shops and generally be an assistant to everyone about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

Thanks for the reply, but no i don't seem to know any in the industry that i could get in with.

I am not based in Dublin, but getting to Dublin daily wouldn't be problem as i have many relations i could stay with.

Would you know anywhere/anyway i could get in contact with these production houses? Making the coffee doesn't bother me, it's a foot in the door.

Thanks for the help :)

Here's some of the post houses you could get in contact with:

Windmill Lane
    Screenscene
    Egg
    Element

But be prepared to not even get an answer back from some of them.

You'll find a load of post houses here: http://www.iftn.ie/post-production/whoswho/

Here's some of the post houses you could get in contact with:

Windmill Lane
    Screenscene
    Egg
    Element

But be prepared to not even get an answer back from some of them.

You'll find a load of post houses here: http://www.iftn.ie/post-production/whoswho/

Thanks so much , i actually rang up the egg post production company and ive secured work experience there. Really appreciate your help.

peterk675 wrote: »
    Thanks so much , i actually rang up the egg post production company and ive secured work experience there. Really appreciate your help.

Well done. It's a good place, you'll learn a lot in there.

• Advertisement

Would just like to thank Miguel_Sanchez for your help with the post companies, really opened up a new world to me and hopefully a possible career path. My work experience at 'Egg' went very well :)

You're very welcome Peter. Glad it went well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paddyormsby98

im a 3rd year who is thinking of production for next year i came across your conversation on google and i was wondering what jobs you did at egg peter and what was the work place and staff like to you im a person who interested in creative writing for tv so i think production would be good work experience considering rte is extremely hard to get into if you could could you tell me please

Hey buddy :) I done alot of making tea and coffee and assuring everyone was okay, this would be 65 percent of most days. But usually they would try and assure that i got to do something worthwhile everyday whether is was as simple as just sitting in with an editor or watching from behind someones back. If you show an genuine interest in the field everyone and i mean everyone in Egg will answer your questions with a smile on their face. And yes i have heard that RTE is like a lottery so i wouldn't get your hopes up for that. But Egg themselves are usually booked up quite early so i would ask your teachers when your dates are going to be and assure that you reserve your dates in Egg.Oh and make sure when sending emails or whatever to use correct grammer and spelling and be pollite :)

Also if i where you i would start out on youtube there are TONS of channels out there with great experience and help for people like us starting out, and the film production forum is also worth a look on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paddyormsby98

THANKS MAN!! the thing is my work experience in my ty programme is every thursday for the year nd i know when it starts i dont start til sectember so i want to have my work experience sorted by end of march i have tv3, 4 radio stations and the four post production companys you mentioned listed and have all the contact details just need to decide which one chances at tv3 are slim nd likely so for most radio stations i think im gonna go with egg the only thing is i wont see any script writers but thats ok finding out how everything works is priority do you work in the building on fitzwilliam street or does it very seriously thanks man and ye ive checked up some of the vids on youtube really helpful advice thanks. Not alot of top class media jobs in this country though thats the only thing. But where you thinking of college so far maynooth media studies or dcu communications are the courses but ive a long way to go havent even done my junior yet lol but thanks for advice

• Advertisement

No problem glad i could be of help, just get contacting and if they say no ... try again!

Advertisement