Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many lights?

Options
  • 26-11-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi. just wondering how many lights would be enough for a 7ft tree?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

We have a 7'6 tree and use 400, we had around 350 last year but it was too few, lighting was a little patchy so I'd go with 400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I've 200 warm white LEDs . 200 twinkling low voltage clear lights and a ribbon of 120 blue LEDs that fade . So 520

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I've 200 warm white LEDs . 200 twinkling low voltage clear lights and a ribbon of 120 blue LEDs that fade . So 520

How do you find the warm white LEDs? We've lovely twinkly traditional bulbs but they're for replacement this year and everything seems to be going LED based. Do the LEDs have a nice sort of halo of light around them or are they just bright dots?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I hate the warm white LEDS. I don't find them warm at all. :(

That the cool white LEDs
    Here's the warm white

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

How do you find the warm white LEDs? We've lovely twinkly traditional bulbs but they're for replacement this year and everything seems to be going LED based. Do the LEDs have a nice sort of halo of light around them or are they just bright dots?

Well heres 400 warm white LEDs on a 12 foot real tree.

That the cool white LEDs
    Here's the warm white
    I had the warm white ones last year. I just hated them. I didn't find them really warm compared to fairy lights, which I've gone back to this year. :)

But they look the same as clear fairy lights ??

Maybe the ones I had were crap, but I just don't like the LEDs.. damn new fangled technology! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fungums

hey thanks for yer replies, ended up with 600 lights
    Anyways a new problem one of the sets is after dying and was just wondering where is the best place to get good lights at a reasonable price ?

• Advertisement

Are they LED ??
    B&Q seem to be the cheapest for LEDs

Are they LED ??

no traditional fairy lights

Are they LED ??

So Homestore & More right next door to B&Q in Airside are not cheaper???

I think so.;)

50% off all Xmass lights.:D

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/christmas-lights/tree-lights/icat/spechrlig1trelig/

Heres clear LED lights at night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

paddy147 wrote: »
    So Homestore & More right next door to B&Q in Airside are not cheaper???

I think so.;)

50% off all Xmass lights.:D

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/christmas-lights/tree-lights/icat/spechrlig1trelig/

was just down in fonthill - tons of lights and great prices.
    200 blue led's for e12.50 - great price.

Where is fonthill?

Where is fonthill?

Fonthill Retail Park...just opposite Liffey Valley and all the car dealerships.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Fungums wrote: »
    hey thanks for yer replies, ended up with 600 lights
    Anyways a new problem one of the sets is after dying and was just wondering where is the best place to get good lights at a reasonable price ?
    Hi fungums. How did the 600 lights look? Did you feel you needed all of them? I have 480 warm white LEDs (2 sets of 240s) Before I start decorating a 7ft tree do you think I'll need another set of lights? I'll have to decorate all the way around as the tree will be at a window and not up against a wall.

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Hi fungums. How did the 600 lights look? Did you feel you needed all of them? I have 480 warm white LEDs (2 sets of 240s) Before I start decorating a 7ft tree do you think I'll need another set of lights? I'll have to decorate all the way around as the tree will be at a window and not up against a wall.

I think I'd go for more. My tree has enough but next year I will be getting another set to put up as it has enough on top but not on the bottom(just the way i put them up tho). . . so yeah I'd get more :)

Thanks for the reply. Ill prob get the same 240 led set again. 720 lights it is then :)

• Advertisement

Yous must be all lashing your 7 foot trees out of it with lights if 480 lights isnt enough.

Surely 600-720 lights on a 7 foot tree is absolute overkill??

Ive 400 white LED lights on the 14 foot Noble Fir in the garden and also 400 coloured LED lights on the 7.5 foot Noble Fir in the living room,and both trees lovely just nice with the lights.

Not over-crammed and not too too few either.

Just nice.

It's hard to get the balance right with lights! I had 200 on my 7 foot tree to begin with but it looked so dark! So I had a spare set of 60 lights which I added to it.
    I'm now considering sticking another 100-150 fairy lights on it on Friday... I'll mostly put them deeper into the tree and around the back to let it shine from within so to speak! :)

Stuck with my 480 lights. Think it looks good but had to do the bottom two rows of branches just to the front to have enough. Doesn't make any difference though as its below the window.

Advertisement