Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife set

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Why would anyone need 24 cheap knives?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What would anyone not want 24 knives at a reasonable price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Nobody really needs 24 knives at home, no matter what price. You only really need a good chefs knife, a small 'office' knife, a carving knife, bread knife and at a stretch a fish boning knife. Spend your money on decent set of those, look after them and they'll last you a lifetime. A poultry shears is also great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

So no reviews then?

I've had a Dunnes Store 10 euro block set of knives for the last 10 years, still going fine for my use. This set is a gift for someone i know who, like me, cooks alot at home and would like something like this assuming they hold some sharpness and the handles don't fall off, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'd be wary of them myself. I've never heard of them and that price is just too cheap for that many knives. My chefs knife cost nearly twice the amount of that whole set

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm always wary of knives with handles like the ones in your link unless they're very well made. They can fall apart.
    I'm no chef, I cook a lot for my family a lot though, and I bought the older version of these JML knives 2 or 3 years ago, and they've served me very well:
    http://www.jmldirect.com/eu/knives/miracle-blade-4-world-series/invt/m18w220100000001/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

They are supposed to be German quality knifes but I have never heard of that brand before (I am German)
    Google only throws up other deal sites and a warning about fake knifes on an American site. I'd stay well clear. I have a knife block with 5 knifes and a honing steel plus poultry scissors and a carving set, that's all I need and I'm a keen cook!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

I'm a very keen cook and regularly use 3 knives all Global, an 18 cm vegetable, a 27 cm cooks, and a 18 cm slicer. I'd swap all of those knives for any one of the Global knives.

Advertisement