Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier Heifer Sale in Roscrea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

i see a certain newmarket man paid top price..there must be a bit of money in selling beef nuts for roches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

a daughter of a vantastic heifer we bred made 4300. kinda wishin we did'nt sell her now;) delighted for the man though

a daughter of a vantastic heifer we bred made 4300. kinda wishin we did'nt sell her now;) delighted for the man though

fari play, that great money she must have been a smasher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I was there myself. I bought a pure bred early in the year and I wanted to see how the different bulls were breeding. What did you think of the sale overall? A serious number went through unsold. They don't exactly say that in the report. I was tempted by a few. You could buy a decent one there for the €2k mark.
    Cerebus is breeding serious cattle, isn't he?

pakalasa wrote: »
    I was there myself. I bought a pure bred early in the year and I wanted to see how the different bulls were breeding. What did you think of the sale overall? A serious number went through unsold. They don't exactly say that in the report. I was tempted by a few. You could buy a decent one there for the €2k mark.
    Cerebus is breeding serious cattle, isn't he?
    did'n make it down my self pak but yeh i see they did'nt say what % sold. ye cerberus is the bull to use pity he so expensive (75). bought 2 straws have 1 pregnancy to him and the other in the flask. i still have a hawk sis to the mother of that €4300 heifer so might keep him for her!! what other bulls stood out for you?? what were the ampertaine commanders like?? have a handfull of him too.

• Advertisement

fari play, that great money she must have been a smasher
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4208689 this is her vander

..what other bulls stood out for you??
    I like the look of Picador. Nice deep body and good bone. I wouldn't be a great fan of Sympa, all muscle but bone isn't great. Just my impression anyway. Haltcliffe Dancer stands out too.

What time does the Limousin Premier Heifer sale start tomorrow (27 April 2013) in Roscrea? I can't find it on the website.:(
    They generate the catalogues from ICBF but never add the sale details.

What time does the Limousin Premier Heifer sale start tomorrow (27 April 2013) in Roscrea? I can't find it on the website.:(

12.30 according to add in journal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

Show at 10 and sale at 12:30

• Advertisement

You'll be busy soon so, with the curry comb. Best of luck.

Yeh best of luck MM heres hopin you get overall champ and top price!! Then we can all meet up and drinks will be on YOU:D:D

Yeh best of luck MM heres hopin you get overall champ and top price!! Then we can all meet up and drinks will be on YOU:D:D

Here's hoping:-) I will settle for top price though

Just heading home now. Standard is poor enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Here's hoping:-) I will settle for top price though

Just heading home now. Standard is poor enough

Do you leave them in the night before?

reilig wrote: »
    Do you leave them in the night before?

Ya, had to be down for inspection between 6 and 8 this evening. The Newtown Cerberus heifer is the best of them imo, lot 29

Lot 13 Nenuphar heifer was champion

Lot 29 Newtown Cerberus heifer got reserve champion

Ended up with 3rd in class 4 ourselves. Very poor turnout, sale will be poor

Champion sold for €5000, Newtown Cerberus not sold at €11000

Cerberus heifer sold for €12500

Just home from the sale, didn't sell, was getting €3500. First few lots were going bad but once the champion and reserve came in prices improved. Better than I was expecting tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Just home from the sale, didn't sell, was getting €3500. First few lots were going bad but once the champion and reserve came in prices improved. Better than I was expecting tbh

Will you breed the heifer yourself now?

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Will you breed the heifer yourself now?

yep, that's the plan. She is out of a very good cow so no problem breeding her. Not sure what to use or when to bull her, she is 14 months at the minute so will wait another few months anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I dont know alot about showing cattle , but is it a kick in the ass to the judges if the reserve champion made double the money of the champion ?

moy83 wrote: »
    I dont know alot about showing cattle , but is it a kick in the ass to the judges if the reserve champion made double the money of the champion ?

Well I did say it here last night that the Cerberus(Reserve Champion) was the best heifer there imo but peoples opinion differ I suppose. Still as you say a big difference in price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Well I did say it here last night that the Cerberus(Reserve Champion) was the best heifer there imo but peoples opinion differ I suppose. Still as you say a big difference in price
    You were on the money with that call Munster . Did you feel any regret for not taking the 3500 for you own heifer or had you a figure in mind beforehand that you would sell for ?

moy83 wrote: »
    You were on the money with that call Munster . Did you feel any regret for not taking the 3500 for you own heifer or had you a figure in mind beforehand that you would sell for ?

No regret. Said that I wouldn't sell for less than 5000 and I was sticking to that. Didn't expect her to make it but I think she is a smashing heifer and she should breed well.

I even had a lad tell me on Friday night that she should win her class which included the Newtown Cerberus heifer. There were alot of people looking at her but I think her figures put alot of people off

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Anyone at this sale yesterday. Can't find much info on the limousin website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Poor sale, judging by the tweets shown. I see none of the big name herds sell at these premier heifer sales, like Roundhill, Castleview & Ardlea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Poor sale, judging by the tweets shown. I see none of the big name herds sell at these premier heifer sales, like Roundhill, Castleview & Ardlea.
    Roundhill and castleview hold their own sale of heifers every two years. There will be one this year. They also sell alot from home same as Ardlea. With the price of bulls this year, hard to justify spending big money on a heifer. From what I'm hearing alot of lads are not bothering with ai this year, just letting them off to a stock bull assuming they have one!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I was hoping to go but mad busy with everything. Some nice heifers, on paper anyway. What were the Wood Road heifers like?

Advertisement