Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with 20 limes ?

Options
  • 26-11-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

I have a bag of limes left over from a party. I used a few of them up over the weekend but still have 20 left. Any ideas apart from things like Key lime pie (I don't have a sweet tooth). Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Two pitchers of Margarita

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/preserve/pickled-limes.html

I've no idea what they taste like but heard Paulo Tulio talking about picked limes on the radio last week. Might be worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Squeeze them and freeze the juice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Slice some of them and freeze in baking paper. Handy for dropping into drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I was left with a load of limes lately too and the best thing to do is home made lemonade.

Get a lemon or two and an orange and some ginger if your feeling adventurous.Make some sugar syrup , about 1.5ltrs of water,loads of ice and a few sprigs of mint.You wont be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Gosh, aren't you all very creative ! So many ideas to choose from, I'm impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

This will get rid of a few, its lovely i have cooked it a few times
    http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/124/Lime-Marinated-Grilled-Chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

lime jam(preserve) is lovely:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Freeze them in segments for future use. They thaw absolutely perfectly.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Cook Thai or Mexican and you'll get through a few. I'd second lime pickle too though, it's so nyum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

damagegt wrote: »
    I was left with a load of limes lately too and the best thing to do is home made lemonade.

Get a lemon or two and an orange and some ginger if your feeling adventurous.Make some sugar syrup , about 1.5ltrs of water,loads of ice and a few sprigs of mint.You wont be disappointed.

This is what I'd do particularly if you have kids, for 10 limes use 5 oranges, 500ml syrup, about 1.5L water (tasting as you go obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

This is what I'd do particularly if you have kids, for 10 limes use 5 oranges, 500ml syrup, about 1.5L water (tasting as you go obviously)
    I had real lemonade once in the states.. Fecking gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Juice them all and mix with an equal measure of sugar syrup. Store this in the fridge and use as a sweet-n-sour mixture for all manner of cocktails. It's delicious, especially good with cointreau, whiskey and vodka (though not necessarily all together :))

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Preserve them - get a large jar and add salt plus your favourite spices (cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, bay leaf etc.) and water with some lemon/lime juice. You can slit the limes first and rub the salt mix into the cuts as well.

Make sure the limes are covered in fluid otherwise they'll go off. The fluid will evaporate, so keep it topped up.

They can then be used in cooking as you go along - curries, fish dishes etc.

F.

have you been in this predicament for almost 4 years?

http://www.mamapedia.com/article/what-to-do-with-20-leftover-limes

Squ wrote: »
    have you been in this predicament for almost 4 years?

http://www.mamapedia.com/article/what-to-do-with-20-leftover-limes

That is seriously weird, especially with it being 20 as well. Strange or what !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Top Shelf Margaritas

2 parts good quality tequila
    1 part Grand Mariner or Cointreau
    4 parts freshly squeezed lime juice
    1 part water + 1 part sugar dissolved (simple syrup)
    Coat top of glass rim with coarse salt (rub with lime wedge to make salt stick)
    Serve with lots of ice and a lime wedge
    (add more simple syrup if too bitter)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Here's a "recipes for baking with limes" article from the Guardian last week.......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/nov/23/baking-with-limes-recipes-lepard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

You could freeze the juice in ice trays, they'd make a really nice kick instead of ordinary ice cubes, especially for alcoholic drinks like rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I could take or leave the Margaritas.

Mohitos on the other hand....

Another use I have for limes (and lemons) is as a preservative for fruit salad. Chop up your fave fruits and put them in a bowl. Take some out each day to take to work for lunch with you.

Having chopped them up and put them in a bowl however squeeze a lime over them and it will keep them fresher for longer.

If they start to harden over time then microwave them for 20 or 30 seconds and the juice is much easier to squeeze out.

Oh and another one.... if you have any avocados... mash them up in a bowl and add lime juice, chilli flakes and black pepper. Theres a guaccamole dip for you if you have any dorito type things for dipping lying around.

• Advertisement

31059248.jpg

Sorry.

^ Brilliant Squ :D:D
    Quick update, I made Outkast's marinated chicken, made a moxy load of lime curd (very nice), froze some in segments and got the son to make a couple of margaritas. Totally limed out at this stage !

• Registered Users Posts: 13 VKenneally

lots and lots of key lime pie :-) yummy!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

After reading this thread I'm going to buy 20 limes tomorrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

make a sorbet.

A mojito sorver to be exact.

Make a syrup of sugar, mint, lime juice and a good aged rum (something like Matusalem or Havana Club 5 year old, anything with colour, avoid clear rums).

Or just follow this recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mojito-sorbet/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Since we're talking limes and cocktails, I can't let this go without mentioning Brazil's national drink, the caipirinha. Unfortunately you need cachaça (sugar-cane brandy) to do it right, but if you can get your hands on some, it's a fabulous drink.

For each one, you need two limes. Cut one into wedges, put them in a short tumbler with a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar and muddle together until the sugar is dissolving in the juice. Fill the tumbler with crushed ice, squeeze in the juice of the other lime and top up with cachaça. Serve with two short straws and sip it through the sugar so that you're blending the sourness of the lime juice with the sweetness of the sugar in every sip. Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

VKenneally wrote: »
    lots and lots of key lime pie :-) yummy!

Not unless they're actually key limes (which are smaller, tarter and a lot harder to find than normal limes)...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I found a great use for some leftover limes after a party recently. Use them to clean (resurrect) copper saucepans. Just dip a slice in salt and rub it on the tarnished copper, super quick and easy to do. Our pans were quite nasty looking after a couple of boilovers and came back close to new.

Advertisement