Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks

Options
  • 26-11-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

With a town the size that it is in Dundalk..... Why doesn't it have a Starbucks?

Costa seems to pull a good trade..... would a starbucks not pull in good trade too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

they do its in the college

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Vego wrote: »
    they do its in the college

Allow me to be frank..... it's bog all use to me on a campus at the other end of the town !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Im sorry frank let me relay that on to the lads so they can build one next to your house

Vego wrote: »
    Im sorry frank let me relay that on to the lads so they can build one next to your house

Not necessary.

How about one more central for the general population of our fair town to make use of?
    It's not as if we don't have enough empty units !

I am pretty certain that the one in the College is just Bucks beans served by a third party by the way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Why starbucks? You'd be far better off investing a few quid, buying freshly roasted beans and brewing your own. Starbucks, Costa et all really do serve over-roasted, over-extracted, over-priced coffee.

• Advertisement

Why starbucks? You'd be far better off investing a few quid, buying freshly roasted beans and brewing your own. Starbucks, Costa et all really do serve over-roasted, over-extracted, over-priced coffee.

True.... I suppose it's generally a nice place to be.... I've always found their coffee quite tasty to be honest and I do a lot of reading in my spare time. I suppose, I'd like to be able to retreat to the local with a book on a Saturday afternoon and enjoy what's so readily available just up or down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

MugMugs wrote: »
    With a town the size that it is in Dundalk..... Why doesn't it have a Starbucks?

Costa seems to pull a good trade..... would a starbucks not pull in good trade too?

Why does it have to be some faceless, homogeneous, multinational company? There are plenty of local, independent pubs and cafes that serve more than decent coffee. I drink (and read) in them all the time. :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Plenty of places around the square that can make a decent cup of coffee I'm sure. Panama, Jackies, Barry's, Judges Chambers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

True.... I suppose it's generally a nice place to be.... I've always found their coffee quite tasty to be honest and I do a lot of reading in my spare time. I suppose, I'd like to be able to retreat to the local with a book on a Saturday afternoon and enjoy what's so readily available just up or down the road.

There is coffee shop in the north link retail park (where franks and wogans is) that serves starbucks coffee....its a nice enough place too.....Coffee House or something it is called

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Much better avoiding the big corporates and going local. prices are relatively the same and its better coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

Allow me to be frank..... it's bog all use to me on a campus at the other end of the town !

Is it an actual official starbucks? they dont list any in Dundalk on their website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If its on a campus. I'd imagine its a 'Proudly Serving Starbucks Coffee' location rather than an actual store, same as DCU and DIT.

Put simply, although they have a huge amount of stores, they aren't franchised so they choose locations very carefully and usually only if its a 'sure thing' location with little chance of failing. There are exceptions of course.

Franchises are willing to open a lot more easily, due to the fact that closure will have very little effect on the actual company, just the franchisee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

MarkMc wrote: »
    If its on a campus. I'd imagine its a 'Proudly Serving Starbucks Coffee' location rather than an actual store, same as DCU and DIT.

Put simply, although they have a huge amount of stores, they aren't franchised so they choose locations very carefully and usually only if its a 'sure thing' location with little chance of failing. There are exceptions of course.

Franchises are willing to open a lot more easily, due to the fact that closure will have very little effect on the actual company, just the franchisee.

Starbucks is a 100% franchise operation in Ireland. Expect them to open more outside of Dublin in the new year (if they can get their act together). Massive IF there. The new owners aren't doing a great job yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

No theyre not, theyre company owned, then operated by an Irish company Entertainment Enterprises which are run by Colm and Ciaran Butler. The Irish Subsidiary of Starbucks is called Ritea Ltd and is wholly owned by Starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

MarkMc wrote: »

Correct. It's also pricey so I don't buy the fancy coffees. the selection of food and snacks is poor. Tried the filter coffee from there a few times and because no one else orders it it's not fresh.

For all its faults I actually like starbucks, but I wish dkit's effort was replaced by a normal coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

tony81 wrote: »
    Correct. It's also pricey so I don't buy the fancy coffees. the selection of food and snacks is poor. Tried the filter coffee from there a few times and because no one else orders it it's not fresh.

For all its faults I actually like starbucks, but I wish dkit's effort was replaced by a normal coffee shop.

I can second that. The filter coffee was poor to say the least and the other selection of coffees is far too expensive.

The selection of snacks is not only poor but extremely over priced. You're far better off taking a wee trip down to the canteen for a coffee and something to eat.

Advertisement