Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York J1 Summer 2013

Options
  • 26-11-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey, Myself(f) and friend(m) are travelling to New York at the start of June..We are looking up houses and apartments in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Am wondering if anyone is looking to share accommodation,as there are some great places with good rates for small groups?... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pintar

Hi myself (f) and 2 friends (both m) are going to New York for the summer at the start of June too! We are looking for people to share with in the hope of getting good rates also so if you're still looking for people to share accommodation with pm me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kelleynangle

me too guys. going over by myself and need somewhere to stay. http://www.facebook.com/kelley.nangle

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Siobhain and Ciara

myself (f) and my friend (f) Just applied for the j1 ,we were looking for frat houses to live with a group of Irish ,but we cant seem to find any so are now just looking for Irish to live with

• Registered Users Posts: 5 houdini91

Hey guys
    I'm on the same boat, will be heading over to NY on the 19th of may on my own and am stuck for accommodation, i plan on staying till Oct 15th. Loved it so much im coming back this summer! I stayed with family slap bang in the middle of Manhattan last year, so would love to rent in manhattan/brooklyn/Astoria area preferably. Have been searching on craigslist, but 90% of places have leases, hopefully this will change coming up to summer.
    Anyway, keep us posted if you find something! I'm female, 21 and very easy to live with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Siobhain and Ciara

Hi is it okay if you give me your face book link , id find it easier to talk about this on that as were not very good at working boards:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

Can anyone tell me what it's like finding jobs in NY?

Myself and a friend (both girls) have booked our J1s and flying into Boston, but no idea where we wanna go!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mrsbrightside

Hiya, myself and a friend, both female, are also heading over this summer, flying out May 28th. We've been in touch with alot of real estate people about apartments and housing, and our budget is about 650 per person a month based on 4 people sharing. We've found a good few apartments in central midtown Manhattan for this price. As it's not an awful lot cheaper to live in Brooklyn we would prefare to be as central as possible.

We've also been e-mailing many bars and restaurants and have been told that many are expecting to hire alot of students in early may and june.

If any other irish students are interested in sharing mail us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Metamorphosis 13

Flying into New York from Cork (via London) on June 1st and coming back September 22nd. I'm prepared to go anywhere I can get a job so long as it's on the East Coast obviously.

It's my first time doing a J1 as well as my first time doing any long-haul travelling at all (never went on holidays as a kid or anything!) so I'm a tad nervous and totally new to all this.

I'm flying over solo but my friend (also a girl) is joining me on 10th June. She's also leaving earlier than me by about a week or so.

Just wondering how ye'd recommend best going about getting a job and finding accommodation? Would any of ye be looking for people to share with?

My embassy interview is in like 12 hours! Eeeeeep!

Thanks lads! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Daydreamer91

Hi Guys,

Me (f) and 2 friends (m) are flying to new york end of May. We are looking for people to share accom with so anyone interested pm me or we chat on fb; http://www.facebook.com/#!/zoe.behan.9

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irishdave21

hey everybody me and one of my friends are heading over in the first few days of june and we were looking for people to share accommodation with if anyone is interested. Two easy going lads dont really mind where we live once there is plenty of Irish students around and we can find work. If anyone has any leads on jobs or even websites to look for some I would really appreciate it. feel free to add me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/david.greally.7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 aisroche

Hey Everybody!
    Me and 9 other girls and 1 boy (poor him!) are heading to Long Beach just outside New York on Long Island. We may have to split up to get accom. so anybody thinking of going to a more summery resort style location but still near New York is more than welcome to come share with us!

Ais.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irishdave21

hey ais yea me an my friend dont really know where we are gonna end up so long beach is always a possibility once we can find work

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sarah.C

Hey everyone,
    So I'm headind over to NY by myself this summer... Don't know if I'm totally crazy or what but I really wanted to do it and my friends are staying put this year. I don't have a location in mind right now, I went to Long Beach on holidays last year and it was unreal. I'm looking for people to share accommodation with.. and the banter and craic :) I'm 21, girl, from Cork.
    Sarah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aismaria

Sarah C, my name is Aisling, 22 yrs old from Dublin, and I'm going to the U.S. this summer with a female friend, also 22, from Bray. We're looking for roommates as well! We're flying into New York and were thinking of heading towards Montauk, if that would be of any interest to you?

Hi Ashling
    Yeah I'd be definitely interested in Montauk, would love a summery resort location. :)
    Here's my email address sarahmcasey@hotmail.com might be easier to communicate throught that..

aisroche wrote: »
    Hey Everybody!
    Me and 9 other girls and 1 boy (poor him!) are heading to Long Beach just outside New York on Long Island. We may have to split up to get accom. so anybody thinking of going to a more summery resort style location but still near New York is more than welcome to come share with us!

Ais.

@aisroach
    I stayed in Long Beach a few year ago, just on a family holiday. But I was gorgeous there! I'd be interested in sharing accommodation with ye for the summer if you were still looking for people? I'm 21 from Cork. Might be easier to email? sarahmcasey@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 47 shtory

I went on both the summer j1 and the one year j1. Stayed in a nice area on the upper east side. Cost me and a mate 1600 a month between us for a studio so 800 each. We were able to get a couple more into the apartment and that got it down to around 530 each, not too bad for where we were staying, i'd recommend it to anyone. I still have an email for the apartment building if you want me to pm it to you. They rent out the apartments on a month to month basis so no long contracts.

This is the one we stayed in twice: http://www.nycityliving.com/Apartmen...number=1010010
    Its two single beds pushed together, not a double. And its more spacious than the pictures make it seem in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cara_

Sarah.C wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    So I'm headind over to NY by myself this summer... Don't know if I'm totally crazy or what but I really wanted to do it and my friends are staying put this year. I don't have a location in mind right now, I went to Long Beach on holidays last year and it was unreal. I'm looking for people to share accommodation with.. and the banter and craic :) I'm 21, girl, from Cork.
    aismaria wrote: »
    Sarah C, my name is Aisling, 22 yrs old from Dublin, and I'm going to the U.S. this summer with a female friend, also 22, from Bray. We're looking for roommates as well! We're flying into New York and were thinking of heading towards Montauk, if that would be of any interest to you?

Hi guys, I'm Cara, nearly 21, also looking to go to Long Island this summer. :) However none of my friends are doing J1s this year so looks like I'm heading alone! Kinda worried about sorting accommodation etc. on my own, so I'd defo be interested if ye are still looking for roommates? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Smcardle

cara_ wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm Cara, nearly 21, also looking to go to Long Island this summer. :) However none of my friends are doing J1s this year so looks like I'm heading alone! Kinda worried about sorting accommodation etc. on my own, so I'd defo be interested if ye are still looking for roommates? :)

Hey guys, I'm Shauna, also heading alone, would love to head to Long Island, just trying to sort a job and accomodation :) Let me know if you need an extra person

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mrsbrightside

Hi, so as already posted myself and one girl are going to NY on May 28th. We want to stay as central in Manhattan as possible, many people recommending to do so as it's not actually alot cheaper to live outside the city.
    Have bar-work sorted, should be easy to get if you don't have a job sorted yet, many places told us they're hiring in early summer.

We're looking for 3 or 4 people to share a 3 bed apartment with in central manhattan.
    Because we don't have a particular apartment in mind yet we don't have exact costs, but looking around 3500$ max per month between 6 people.

Message me on facebook if your interested ASAP :) x

https://www.facebook.com/Emmabbzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Caoimhe91

Hey, heading over end of June with another girl, want to stay as central as possibly, preferably Manhattan. We're both 22 and looking to share with people around the same age, if anyone is interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TheLiveWire

Hey everyone, Im in the same situation as most here. Brian, 20, have a job sorted for Manhattan and i MIGHT have a lead on a house near Van Cordtland park some friends stayed in last year, 1200USD a month between 4 guys, so 300 each wasnt bad. Flying over on my own on the 16th of may but i have a place to stay for a few nights before sorting out a place properly. Give me a shout if anyone's interested, ill keep looking anyway and post more about the house when i find out:)

http://www.facebook.com/WhichOnesTheLiveWire

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KarenMcL

Hi guys, moving to New York on the 24th of May and looking for accommodation in the Brooklyn area. I've contacted some of you facebook already as it's easier to chat on than but just wondering if anyone's interested in sharing accommodation get in touch! https://www.facebook.com/Karen.Mc.Laughlin.91

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ItsNotAyne

Hi! Im 19 from Tipp and currently actually in NY but dont know any other Irish :(. I have accomodation for now. Id love to meet up with J1ers coming over though. Or if anyone needed another person for an appt I might be interested :) But basically to meet other real Irish people in Manhattan would be great. Aine

• Registered Users Posts: 2 barry_crisp

Hi guys,

I'm moving to New York at the end of August to go to college there for the year. I was thinking some of you might have found it hard to get short term accommodation in New York and are now going to lose your security deposit if you leave before 12 months.
    Just wondering if anyone would be interested in subletting their apartment to me and my friend for the year that way you will get your security deposit back and we can avoid brokers fees? We are looking for a two bedroom apartment (preferably in queens or brooklyn) for a maximum price of $2000 a month. We'll be arriving on the 20th of August and would be looking to move in before the 5th of Septemeber until the 20th of May.

Let me know if any of you are interested! :)

Advertisement