Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Churches and toilets

• 27-11-2012 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

As far as I am aware many churches either do not have toilet facilities or else they hide them from me very well. Maybe they have their reasons for this, could be that they fear their toilet facilities may be taken over by people other than those who simply wish to pee, maybe they feel that providing a water closet would distract people from praying, I can't be sure.

Do people agree that churches should remain bathroom-free? Or would more people like to see a simple, basic lavatory installed for the congregation?

One reason against these facilities would be the possibility of someone wrecking the place therefore requiring further work for the cleaner. But the oppurtunity would be there to charge a nominal fee in order to cover expenses and discourage non-essential bathroom visits.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

As far as I am aware many churches either do not have toilet facilities or else they hide them from me very well. Maybe they have their reasons for this, could be that they fear their toilet facilities may be taken over by people other than those who simply wish to pee, maybe they feel that providing a water closet would distract people from praying, I can't be sure.

Do people agree that churches should remain bathroom-free? Or would more people like to see a simple, basic lavatory installed for the congregation?

One reason against these facilities would be the possibility of someone wrecking the place therefore requiring further work for the cleaner. But the oppurtunity would be there to charge a nominal fee in order to cover expenses and discourage non-essential bathroom visits.
    f.f.s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The Mass isn't that long.

You can Praise the Lord by making the effort to hold it in until you get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Is this what ah has become

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

They usually have them well in the back so you can be cornered easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I hope they have a condom dispenser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

I just piss into the collection box

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

1ZRed wrote: »
    They usually have them well in the back so you can be cornered easily

Speaking from experience 1ZRed? ;)

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Speaking from experience 1ZRed? ;)

I was waiting for it :p

That doesn't sound good either.. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Just pray at home. I don't understand going to church. Although the notion of having the body of Christ on my tongue is pretty hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Dirty protest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

You know that thing with the holy water.

It ain't holy.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I have had the (Mis)fortune of being at a confession mass , only to witness a constant and I mean really constant stream of children, their siblings and to top it finally off their parents and families streaming in and out of the church toilet. It was as if no one there had ever been to a toilet before.
    When one child went every single one of them copied. It was extremely annoying and distracting.
    Mass isn't that long that you can't hold it in, the toilets are only there for dire needs or at least when mass is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Use the font like normal people.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I hope they have a condom dispenser.

Boys can't get pregnant, silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Well, I wasn't actually at a mass when nature called, I was just near a church and not a lot else. I hear pregnant women can pee in a Garda's hat if necessary, wonder if I could trouble the priest for a hat to piss in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Isn't the confession box for number twosies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

benwavner wrote: »
    Isn't the confession box for number twosies?

Nope, that for talking šhît, not having one.

*Im going to hell :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The great question of our time: Which is more enjoyable, a work poop or a church poop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What the fuck are you smoking?
    It's a church not a restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

All churches have toilets AFAIK. Maybe some have them in the vestury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

They're usually in the sacristy aren't they? Have never been to a church without a toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Now I'm just imagining a priest in there yelling, "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" :pac:

Ha! Nothing funnier than poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

If they serve food to be eaten on the premises they are obliged to provide toilets with hand washing facilities however these may be locked outside opening hours.

Seriously, I have often travelled for hours to attend weddings, funerals, christenings ect. Church toilets should be signposted better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

It's our councils that should be providing public toilet facilities. In Australia they have an online national public toilet map so that you can plan your journey without being caught short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm just amazed at how many boardsies go to mass.

Nope, that for talking šhît, not having one.

*Im going to hell :(

I figure everyone worth a bit of craic is going to hell anyway.

We'll have a great time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Most churches I've been to bar very rural churches have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Having gone for a few pints before many a wedding I think i can categorically state that all churches have a toilet, normally in the sacristy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Any church I've been in had a toilet. The four most local to me definitely do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

2 stroke wrote: »
    It's our councils that should be providing public toilet facilities. In Australia they have an online national public toilet map so that you can plan your journey without being caught short.

sounds like the George Michael tour :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Churches are supposed to lack basic facilities and be uncomfortable, inhospitable and draughty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Had a piss in the church toilet before me brother's wedding last year! And it defo wasn't in the holy water thing!

I would imagine all churches have a jax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Smaller, rural churches never had them and many still don't.

Back wall was the usual spot.

Advertisement