Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance

Options
  • 27-11-2012 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Any ideas on whats the best health insurance plan to go with these days?! I just want something that will cover me to stay in hospital if i coe down with anything serious. Work will pay 400 towards it but I ament on great money so it will probably only be a basic enough package that i can afford! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Look at the hia.ie website, it compares the plans available
    You can get cover from about 650 p.a.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

anybody got the dates to put into Laya to get that discount. Very clever they way the cover themselves

Please note, prices may vary depending on policy start date.

I have tried various dates without success including 31/12 and 01/01 and 14/12

its worth €150 if you can hit the correct date and the policy roughly compares with what you already have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Hi,

I too am looking for health insurance.

my company are not contributing anything, so i will be paying for it myself.

I too am not loaded, so it will be the basic package - just something to cover me if i get something serious , like cancer, or if i need a small operation - say for example, to get out my appendix , or something like that.

dont want to have to spend all my savings on something like that ! :confused:

anyone got any advice - where do i begin? how much would it cost - on average? any good deals goin these days?

thanks,

Jo

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi,

I too am looking for health insurance.

my company are not contributing anything, so i will be paying for it myself.

I too am not loaded, so it will be the basic package - just something to cover me if i get something serious , like cancer, or if i need a small operation - say for example, to get out my appendix , or something like that.

dont want to have to spend all my savings on something like that ! :confused:

anyone got any advice - where do i begin? how much would it cost - on average? any good deals goin these days?

thanks,

Jo

Was getting confused! HIA website was stating one price, Laya a different price. In the end got my head around it. Basically at the moment Laya have a 10% discount, on 1st Jan they have an increase of 4%, if you key in 01/01 as your start date you get no discount and the 4% increase, if you key in 31/12 you get the discount, and the policy only runs until 30/11 next year, and charge 11/12 of the full premium less the 10% and they then add 3% if you pay monthly. confusing or what? I settled for their essential plan (11/12 of €622 less the 10% - and hopefully if they do increase again after 01/01 it wont be until 01/01 2014- though that is probably unlikely, as they all increase prices now around 2 times a year.

I am very surprised and disappointed by the way Aviva have ignored 2 phone calls to state that I was not renewing in 2013. Phoned them around 6th December and they promised to ring back. No return call. Called them again around 18/19/20 December to inform them that I was not renewing and was changing to Laya. I enrolled with Laya on 21st according to the paparwork received from them. In the meantime Aviva wrote to me informing me of the dates and amount of direct debit for next year. And now this morning more correspondence thanking me for renewing with them for 2013. I sent them an email on 31st December informing them that I have changed to Laya, needless to say no acknowledgement from them.

Probably have to contact my bank now and inform them not to act their direct debit.

• Advertisement

Finally got Aviva to acknowledge that I have cancelled previous policy. New policy broadly similar but cost approx €500 less for 2013 for 11 months. From reading other forums appears my best bet next year is to inform Laya that I am not going to renew the policy, and then sign up as a 'new' customer. Appears this is perfectly acceptable and you get whatever deals 'new' customers get. Doesn't make any sense to me but apparantely lots of customers are doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BMFD

Does anyone have any experience of the Hospital Saturday Fund? I have had health insurance all my life with VHI and Aviva but it is now prohibitively expensive. Am very nervous about cancelling policy but this HSF seems very good. You seem to get a lot more money back. Anyone familiar with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

BMFD wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience of the Hospital Saturday Fund? I have had health insurance all my life with VHI and Aviva but it is now prohibitively expensive. Am very nervous about cancelling policy but this HSF seems very good. You seem to get a lot more money back. Anyone familiar with them?

I have a policy with them for a few years now and always get back more than I pay. My policy covers the OH and two kids. You get money back on basically everything within a 12 month period but the amount depends on the scheme you choose.

It doesn't replace private healthcare insurance but if you wear glasses and attend the GP several times throughout the year it may be worth it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BMFD

Thanks Arnold. Good to know. I know it wont replace the private healthcare totally but lately private healthcare seems to cover less and less. I dont mind paying upfront once I know I'll get some money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Gilally

Just bumping this.

I am with company plan with VHI. Is there any policy cheaper with similar cover for a female aged 31.

• Advertisement
Advertisement