Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

46" LCD wall mount for shmups

• 27-11-2012 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to mount a 46" Sony LCD on the wall of my man cave and have it so I can rotate it for shmups(I know, I know it's LCD but i'll have an SLG and other stuff to help out a bit).
    So, anyone have any ideas as to what's the best way to do this? I'm not looking for anything as advanced as a motorised system (although that would be cool and I'd do it if it was not crazy pricey), just something that would hold it well and allow me to rotate it easily.
    I think I prefer an expert to come out an do it for a reasonable fee so if anyone has any contacts in Dublin/Wicklow who might do something like this let me know.

I'd be doing it in January/February when I'm renovating the room so I'm just pricing things up now.

Edit:
    Maybe something like this, or a motorised version :)
    http://www.displays2go.com/Product.aspx?ID=14898

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

That link U provided has to be in way or the other, can't be rotated to the best of my knowledge. U either install it in a horizontal position or vertical. I have one of these brackets, very happy with it. That would be a very cool to be able to rotate, but surely if u were to rotate that big of the screen, the cables connected would just pull and strain also?

I have a 47 wall mounted and are very easy to install. I have done a few of em. If I was closer to your gaff, I would have gave u hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    and I'd do it if it was not crazy pricey

Does not compute :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The cables won't be an issue as I'll easily work something out for them.
    I must say, the more I think about it a motorized solution might be what I want :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Why settle for using your own manual effort when money can be used to automate the process? Although buying a slave to do the job might be cheaper.

Go for it steve!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The cables won't be an issue as I'll easily work something out for them.
    I must say, the more I think about it a motorized solution might be what I want :)

Especially if it has some sort of Robocop-esque sound to it. :cool:

• Advertisement

Why settle for using your own manual effort when money can be used to automate the process? Although buying a slave to do the job might be cheaper.

Go for it steve!

If anyone comes across a decent motorized solution do let me know. Ideally something in Ireland or something I can get and have someone install as I'd like someone who knows what their at to do it as I'm sure if I did it it'd fall off the wall or something.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Especially if it has some sort of Robocop-esque sound to it. :cool:

"Freeze Punk! While I rotate your screen."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Solid block wall or flimsy internal partition ?

If someone helps me find what I need for this I promise I'll have robocop sound effects for when it rotates.
    Installing a wall mount is not my thing but setting up sensors so that it plays audio when it starts to rotate is right up my alley :)

Solid block wall or flimsy internal partition ?

The wall sounds hollow in parts when I tap it but it's the wall for the side of the house so there must be bricks behind it I guess (it's a semi detached house and that wall is the detached side so is a solid brick wall on the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'm looking to mount a 46" Sony LCD on the wall of my man cave and have it so I can rotate it for shmups(I know, I know it's LCD but i'll have an SLG and other stuff to help out a bit).
    So, anyone have any ideas as to what's the best way to do this? I'm not looking for anything as advanced as a motorised system (although that would be cool and I'd do it if it was not crazy pricey), just something that would hold it well and allow me to rotate it easily.
    I think I prefer an expert to come out an do it for a reasonable fee so if anyone has any contacts in Dublin/Wicklow who might do something like this let me know.

I'd be doing it in January/February when I'm renovating the room so I'm just pricing things up now.

Edit:
    Maybe something like this, or a motorised version :)
    http://www.displays2go.com/Product.aspx?ID=14898

You can indeed get them - http://www.lumi.cn/en/protypesd.php?tid=119

Linky to many sources ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, I like the little one, I could see a little LED Tv on the wall, rotatable for tate gaming.
    But CRT is so nice!
    What to do?

Well I'm only looking for the motorized option now. I've my heart set on it :)
    I'm giving myself a budget of 400 euro for everything (motorized tv mount, postage for it and paying someone who knows what they're at to install it).

€400 might sound like a lot but most of the motorized mounts I've seen are a lot more expensive than that.

Well I'm only looking for the motorized option now. I've my heart set on it :)
    I'm giving myself a budget of 400 euro for everything (motorized tv mount, postage for it and paying someone who knows what they're at to install it).

€400 might sound like a lot but most of the motorized mounts I've seen are a lot more expensive than that.

Youd nearly get a second tv to leave permanently 'tated for that :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Youd nearly get a second tv to leave permanently 'tated for that :)

I know, but it wouldn't be as cool :)

I know, but it wouldn't be as cool :)

Meh, cooler I'd say :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I've zero experience with rotating wall mounts but with anything mechanical like that I'd be concerned about how long the thing would keep working and build quality - it is weaker than a standard wall mount. Can I afford for it to break off and smash the tv to bits etc.

Surely be cheaper to get a separate tv (CRT or otherwise) a leave it in permanent tate mode.

I'd say you'd be doing well at €400 to get something decent and safe installed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I have the Trini for horizontal duties and for the 'Tate I have a Philips CRT doing the doo.

If you were determined to have LCD or LED's doing display duties you may be as well having two....

Just sayin' y'all....

Or just leave the tv horizontal and lie down on the floor whenever the tate urge takes hold.

• Advertisement

The reason I'm using the LCD is because I have a spare 46" and it will look very nice indeed on my man cave wall.

I'd say you'd be doing well at €400 to get something decent and safe installed.

I'd have to agree with this, to buy a proper stand & have it properly fitted for 4 ton sounds optimistic man :(

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with this, to buy a proper stand & have it properly fitted for 4 ton sounds optimistic man :(

€800????

All the motorised mounts I can see online are basically tilt or pan only even these ones are $400-$500 and can't find any that rotate.
    They also seem to add a couple of inches to the overall depth which I don't think would look good having the TV sticking out from the wall too much.

Car wiper motor, couple of fan belts, a hammer and you're good to go :)

Just get an unmotorised one and make the transformers noise yourself when you 'tate into Tate!

But I can see your need, I was playing Dodopachi Resurrection on the 360 last night, sucked at it natch, and it was just way too small up there on the LCD, Tate that sucker around and your into Shump-y bliss, all it lacks are the scanlines!

Next thing you'll be using two screens and playing some Darius nonsense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

The reason I'm using the LCD is because I have a spare 46" and it will look very nice indeed on my man cave wall.

A spare 46 inch tv ??

Aahhh. The Steve's ark principle.

Advertisement