If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Audio BX2 Issue

Options
  • 27-11-2012 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hi. I purchased a pair of BX2's from you guys last year, but only got round to setting them up recently (long story:)).
    On the back of each speaker I'm given the option to plug my cables into 2 HF inputs or 2 LF inputs. When i plug into the 2 HF inputs, the sound only comes from the tweeter and is frankly terrible. It's much better when plugged into both of the LF inputs, but no sound comes from the tweeter and is lacking a lot of high end. It sounds muddy.
    No sound comes from the speakers when I plug into one LF and one HF input.
    What am I doing wrong?
    I am using high quality chord cables and my AV receiver is the Denon 2312 (also purchased from you guys).
    Any advice?

Regards,

Zak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Hi. I purchased a pair of BX2's from you guys last year, but only got round to setting them up recently (long story:)).
    On the back of each speaker I'm given the option to plug my cables into 2 HF inputs or 2 LF inputs. When i plug into the 2 HF inputs, the sound only comes from the tweeter and is frankly terrible. It's much better when plugged into both of the LF inputs, but no sound comes from the tweeter and is lacking a lot of high end. It sounds muddy.
    No sound comes from the speakers when I plug into one LF and one HF input.
    What am I doing wrong?
    I am using high quality chord cables and my AV receiver is the Denon 2312 (also purchased from you guys).
    Any advice?

Regards,

Zak.

Hey Zak,

you need to link the terminals together with a small extra piece of speaker cable or bi-wire the speakers.

ipodrocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

ipodrocker wrote: »
    Hey Zak,

you need to link the terminals together with a small extra piece of speaker cable or bi-wire the speakers.

ipodrocker.

hi ipodrockers. Cheers for the help. Please excuse my ignorance, but not 100% sure what you mean by linking the 2 terminals together. Can you explain a bit more or provide a link to a site that shows what you mean?
    (i tried looking around online myself, but had no luck as i wasn't sure exactly what i was looking for)

regards,

zak.

I dont have a link but bascially:

with the HF terminal 1 insert left channel cable and in the LF terminal 1 insert right channel cable. Next cut a small piece of cable and insert into the same HF terminal one and link it to HF terminal 2, do the same for LF

This is work about instead of using two separate lengths of cable of bi-wiriing the speakers.

Make sense?

ipodrocker wrote: »
    I dont have a link but bascially:

with the HF terminal 1 insert left channel cable and in the LF terminal 1 insert right channel cable. Next cut a small piece of cable and insert into the same HF terminal one and link it to HF terminal 2, do the same for LF

This is work about instead of using two separate lengths of cable of bi-wiriing the speakers.

Make sense?

You mean like in the attached photo?
    So if that's the case, i cut a small piece of cable, and insert into top left, and link it to top right? Then the same for below (into bottom right, then link to bottom left)?
    Ok.
    Still unsure of some stuff. What kind of cable? How do i insert it into a place where there is already a cable? Do I attach 2 more banana plugs to go into the free inputs?
    Sorry, I'm really new at this.

ah your using bananna plugs!

i dont use them! I just hard wire the terminals instead of using plugs. In your case you may need scratch using the plugs.

I have done a sample pic of how you should do it.

you may be able to use the the plugs and small cable.

cable-example.jpg

I would get some of this cable:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-cables/cambridge-audio/symphony-200/gale-symphony-200

hope that helps you!

ipodrocker

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@ipodrocker,

I understand the intention to be helpful, but queries here are for Richersounds to answer, as per the Charter - feel free to offer advice and reply to queries on the Home Entertainment forums.

The potential for confusion when answering queries of this kind are obvious - in the circumstances I'm not going to snip your posts - the one with the diagram helped to clarify - but would ask you to comply with the charter in future.

Thanks,

Ritz.

Thanks for your help, ipodrocker....i'll wait to see what advice richer sounds give me....:)

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks Ritzy and Ipod,

Zak - your BX2 came with 4 small metal link connectors that you use to connect the terminals on your speakers - if you can find these then the mystery will be solved...

..if you cant find them - then ipod has actually probably done a better job of trying to explain it than we could do - essentially each red and black pair of terminals on the rear of the BC2 accesses each individual drive unit (ie the tweeter for treble and the woofer for bass) if the links are removed you will only get bass or treble, exactly as you have described. The reason there are two sets of terminals on each speaker is to allow 'bi-wiring' ie to essentially use separate amplifiers to drive the tweeters and woofers to give maximum quality and separation - however in practice this is rarely done - hence the need for the links!

If you have a look at the page on the MA website for the BX2 http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/bronze-bx/bx2/ and look at the picture - you can rotate the picture to give you a rear view of the BX2 - this shows the links in place - then if you cannot find the original metal links - all you have to do is cut a very short length of decent quality speaker cable and connect the terminals exactly as per the picture (ie RED to RED and BLACK to BLACK!!!!!!!)

If you are using banana plugs it's even easier as you can just use the small holes in the shaft of the terminal to connect the terminals and then remove the small plastic 'bungs' at the end of the terminal and pop the banana plugs in - ALWAYS ENSURE THAT YOU ARE CONNECTING RED TO RED AND BLACK TO BLACK AND FOLLOW THIS THROUGH TO THE AMPLIFIER (Or else you could actually damage your amp!)

I hope I haven't confused things - as ever if you are in trouble give us a call when you are actually connecting up and we can talk you through it 'live' or of course just pop us another post and we will do our best to assist,

Thanks as ever,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thx again Ipod & Ritzie

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks Ritzy and Ipod,

Zak - your BX2 came with 4 small metal link connectors that you use to connect the terminals on your speakers - if you can find these then the mystery will be solved...

YEAH!!!! Problem sorted John!!
    I was sure I had thrown those metal link connectors out, but I hadn't. Just attached them now and it's working fine.
    Thanks so much for your help.:D

I'm glad I bought my 5 Monitor Audio speakers from you guys.
    And my Samsung D7000.
    And my Denon AVR - 2312.
    And my Logitech Harmony One +....;););)

Zak.

PS: Thanks again iPod and the Ritz!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I'm glad I bought my 5 Monitor Audio speakers from you guys.
    And my Samsung D7000.
    And my Denon AVR - 2312.
    And my Logitech Harmony One +....;););)

...so are we ...:D

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.