Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Academies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

3 locks is alot isnt it. Thought they shouldve shared them around the provinces in terms of gametime and optimum development but seeing as Hayes and O'Flaherty are leaving theyll probably get gametime

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Where it says Cathal O'Flaherty has not been re-contracted, does that mean that both Munster and the player mutually agreed to a release? Or is an academy spot a rolling one year contract for three years?

Academy contracts are handed out annually i believe. So if not deemed to be progressing enough are released. Good to see lads rewarded for Comps SCT performances. Dolphin with a lot of Academy/Development lads now. Expect a big yr in UBL from them, may lose Bohane a bit to Munster, guys a talent. From the 1st yrs in the Academy i'd say the John Madigan and Darren O Shea are the best prospects. Need to see more from O Shea and needs to improve his skills substantially!

Regarding Buckley, i've seen plenty of him and think he's a guy who would run through a brick wall for you but you'd have to point out the wall for him. Isn't the most intelligent of players, gives away the most ridiculous penalties consistently. Am surprised he's still there if i'm tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Academy contracts are handed out annually i believe. So if not deemed to be progressing enough are released. Good to see lads rewarded for Comps SCT performances. Dolphin with a lot of Academy/Development lads now. Expect a big yr in UBL from them, may lose Bohane a bit to Munster, guys a talent. From the 1st yrs in the Academy i'd say the John Madigan and Darren O Shea are the best prospects. Need to see more from O Shea and needs to improve his skills substantially!

Regarding Buckley, i've seen plenty of him and think he's a guy who would run through a brick wall for you but you'd have to point out the wall for him. Isn't the most intelligent of players, gives away the most ridiculous penalties consistently. Am surprised he's still there if i'm tbh

I'd be more concerned if it was the other way around tbh, maturity can bring about more intelligent, less petulant play. Hopefully anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

They might be but you rarely hear of players being dropped after 1st/2nd year and only see players leaving after 1st/2nd year to be promoted to development contracts.
    Ulster is different and academy seems to be year on year basis.
    Good to see players recognised for playing for their school but shame clubs players not screened as much. Plenty of academy, development staff at schools games and never in same degree at the big pan munster /youths league games.
    Greg's skills are quite good and all players need to improve skills considerably.
    Don't see why Buckley wouldn't still in academy. He has another year to go so was always going to complete the 3 years. Not sure he'll be contracted next year though but has plenty of time to prove doubters wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Munster13

Can someone fill me in on how Jonny Holland, Brian Haugh and Darren Sweetham are doing for the Munster academy? Will they be brought through like Scannell or Bohane to the first team, or will they be let go? Because i've heard that they are brilliant players

• Advertisement

From seeing Haugh play AIL i thought he was okay, a good goal kicker but very slow on the ball for a 9, takes too much out of the ball a lot of the time. Unless he improves his speed of play i can't see him making it at Munster. Holland has been very impressive for Cons, had a slow start to the yr from a kicking form point of view but than started nailing last minute touchline and long distance winners for Con. His game management is very strong and is supplemented well by Gerry Hurley inside him at 9. Would think he'll get Development after this upcoming season. Can't comment on Sweetnum as i haven't seen him.

I'm very interested to seeing the young lad Cullen from Saracens that joined the Munster Academy

So from what you've seen of the academy of Munster last year and this, who do you think will get a devlopment contract at the end of the next season? Because i really want Jonny Holland to get one

I'd expect Holland to get one

Is Holland the only guy you think will get a devlopment contract? or others as well?
    sorry for the questions, i just keeping hearing things from mates that players like Holland, Ryan Murphy, and Harry Mcnulty are great players.

I haven't seen a whole pile of McNulty with YM but from what i have i haven't seen anything to suggest he'd warrant a development contract! Ryan Murphy may warrant one, has been exceptional for Dolphin and got A game time so he'd be in with a shout. Don't see Darren Moroney getting one, or Jack O Donoghue just yet, he may complete the 3 years in the Academy than get one. From the current crop of 2nd yrs i don't think any will skip the 3rd year of the academy like some have done recently but if one was to it would be Holland or Murphy

• Advertisement

Munster13 wrote: »
    Can someone fill me in on how Jonny Holland, Brian Haugh and Darren Sweetham are doing for the Munster academy? Will they be brought through like Scannell or Bohane to the first team, or will they be let go? Because i've heard that they are brilliant players
    Theyre doing ok. Not been involved that much at A level. Haugh has most games. Wont be let go anyway as all have years to do in academy. Haugh should be getting pro12 gametime next season. He'll have to step up with the cookies in AIL considering prendegast has left to go to France to coach.
    No reason at all that they would be let go
    So from what you've seen of the academy of Munster last year and this, who do you think will get a devlopment contract at the end of the next season? Because i really want Jonny Holland to get one
    Way too early to say anything about end of next season. This season hasn't finished ffs..
    Not sure but think Jonny Holland will get development.
    Is Holland the only guy you think will get a devlopment contract? or others as well?
    sorry for the questions, i just keeping hearing things from mates that players like Holland, Ryan Murphy, and Harry Mcnulty are great players.
    Don't rate McNulty but if Ryan Murphy keeps on playing like he has he will get development contract
    I haven't seen a whole pile of McNulty with YM but from what i have i haven't seen anything to suggest he'd warrant a development contract! Ryan Murphy may warrant one, has been exceptional for Dolphin and got A game time so he'd be in with a shout. Don't see Darren Moroney getting one, or Jack O Donoghue just yet, he may complete the 3 years in the Academy than get one. From the current crop of 2nd yrs i don't think any will skip the 3rd year of the academy like some have done recently but if one was to it would be Holland or Murphy
    Jack O Donoghue is still very young and underage for Ireland 20s next season. He is potentially irish 20s captain next season though leavy from Leinster will be up there in that role.
    Moroney will not get development imo. Would rate JOD higher than Murphy

Having seen both lads on a good few occasions this year playing AIL i would rate Murphy much higher than O Donoghue, the age difference is only a yr or two but JOD does look a very clever operater but Murphy has a lot more physicality and grit about him. Murphy's future at 6 or 7? JOD an 8 in the future?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

Murphy better player right now but is somewhat limited physically at the highest level. Unless he moves to openside.

JOD has more potential than Murphy imo.

Good to see Lyons and O'Shea stick with Munster. Not a fan of provinces poaching guys from other provinces especially straight from school.

Jack Cullen is an interesting pickup aswell...

No TH taken, Brian Scott is a huge kid but pretty sloppy and raw. Probably another year in the sub-academy needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Good to see Lyons and O'Shea stick with Munster. Not a fan of provinces poaching guys from other provinces especially straight from school.

The only reason there was talk of O'Shea going to Leinster, was because he was apparently going to go to college in Dublin. In which case, I wouldn't call it poaching. I'd call it logic.

Hagz wrote: »
    The only reason there was talk of O'Shea going to Leinster, was because he was apparently going to go to college in Dublin. In which case, I wouldn't call it poaching. I'd call it logic.

Call it whatever you want, I'm not a fan of kids who are developed in a certain provincial setup moving to another out of school.

Murphy better player right now but is somewhat limited physically at the highest level. Unless he moves to openside.

JOD has more potential than Murphy imo.
    Murphy to Openside is a good call. Think he's played there quite a bit at AIL level. Still young so hard to say he's limited physically at higher level. Not 20 yet.

Jack Cullen is an interesting pickup aswell...

No TH taken, Brian Scott is a huge kid but pretty sloppy and raw. Probably another year in the sub-academy needed.
    To be fair some provinces don't look to sign players and those players have a right to look elsewhere especially if going out of their own province for college.
    Wouldn't say Scott is sloppy but prob best off in sub academy for another year. O Shea could still have been in Munster academy if he did go to Dublin for college. Think Harry McNulty was in college in Dublin while in Munster academy... listed club as Dublin university for a year or so

Call it whatever you want, I'm not a fan of kids who are developed in a certain provincial setup moving to another out of school.

I'm very much a fan of it if it means they have the opportunity to do a degree they want to do. What they do in college can set up a career path for them once they're rugby career is over.

Pretty sure Murphy is 20 fwiw.

He is what 6'1/6'2 100kg? decent sized but not big enough at the highest level for 6 or 8. Which is why i'm in favour of him playing 7.

Scott is sloppy enough physically, has improved his body shape but needs to continue to lean out.

ormond lad wrote: »
    Murphy to Openside is a good call. Think he's played there quite a bit at AIL level. Still young so hard to say he's limited physically at higher level. Not 20 yet.
    To be fair some provinces don't look to sign players and those players have a right to look elsewhere especially if going out of their own province for college.
    Wouldn't say Scott is sloppy but prob best off in sub academy for another year. O Shea could still have been in Munster academy if he did go to Dublin for college. Think Harry McNulty was in college in Dublin while in Munster academy... listed club as Dublin university for a year or so

Harry McNulty didnt join the academy until this year. He was in trinity for a year 11-12 but not in the munster academy,then was offered it if he came down for the 12-13 season

• Advertisement

So if Murphy moves to a 7, and JOD will possibly replace Coughlan, and CJ hopefully gonna battle with POM for that 6 jersey, will Murphy fight O'Donnell for the Munster 7 jersey?

What is going on with Barry O'Mahony, has he been injured or something, because i've never seen him play before? Is he going to be more active next season or is he just going to move on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

What is going on with Barry O'Mahony, has he been injured or something, because i've never seen him play before? Is he going to be more active next season or is he just going to move on?

He's in his mid-twenties and has just finished his first season as a professional. I'm sure that the management have been monitoring his progress and we'll see more if him next year if he is thought to be good enough for pro rugby at Munster.

He's in his mid-twenties and has just finished his first season as a professional. I'm sure that the management have been monitoring his progress and we'll see more if him next year if he is thought to be good enough for pro rugby at Munster.
    Ahh thanks mate, was curious as Murphy and JOD coming through, I do hope BOM proves himself next season

3 locks is a lot, especially O'Shea who is 21 going into 1st year.

Madigan probably has the most potential.

Itll be hard for the locks in the academy now to get through, considering when POC, DOC retire, till be DR, Nagle, Foley and Holland thatll be first choice second rows

BTW cant wait to see more of Dave O'Callaghan next year, looked brilliant when he played, cant wait to see him play more

He was injured for vast majority of the season, had that osteo pubis thingy that many pros are gettin is a 9month injury but caught it early so managed it well and was only out 4/5 months i think

More suited to Munster thread considering Barry has not been part of academy system for a few years. Was in academy. didn't get a contract continued to play AIL then last season got a development contract.
    3 locks is a lot, especially O'Shea who is 21 going into 1st year.
    Madigan probably has the most potential.
    3 is a lot but tbf POC and DOC don't have a huge amount of time left and then their will be Ryan, Holland, Nagle and Foley which isn't a lot espec when Ryan will be away with Ireland for a considerable part of the season

• Advertisement

Holland is nothing special, decent squad player. Ryan is nearly 30 already anyway and Foley and Nagle are very unproven.

3 makes sense i guess especially as they are all different ages.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this group of academy players, i think a lot of gems will come from this crop i hope, i'm hearing good things about Greg O'Shea and Jack Cullan so i hope they can do well in the academy

Holland is nothing special, decent squad player. Ryan is nearly 30 already anyway and Foley and Nagle are very unproven.

3 makes sense i guess especially as they are all different ages.
    Holland is decent option at pro12 and showed this season just gone that he's better than I thought he was.
    Ryan doesn't have huge mileage done so has quite a few years left at the top level. 2nd rows can play much longer than other positions in general.
    Surely other positions are in much more need for signings. Halfbacks, centre

I do hope then, we see more of J.J and Bohane next season, they both look good players for years to come, I hope to see them get game time next year,

Holland is decent option at pro12 and showed this season just gone that he's better than I thought he was.
    Ryan doesn't have huge mileage done so has quite a few years left at the top level. 2nd rows can play much longer than other positions in general.

can only sign players if there is talented guys coming through.

a homegrown munster centre is a rare sight.

Leinster Academy for next season confirmed
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/9901.php#.UaSlcDJOPMw

6 players in for next season. 3 youths and 3 schools players
    Adam Byrne, Steve Crosbie, Thomas Daly, Billy Dardis, Peter Dooley, Ross Molony

• Advertisement

Leinster Academy for next season confirmed
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/9901.php#.UaSlcDJOPMw

6 players in for next season. 3 youths and 3 schools players
    Adam Byrne, Steve Crosbie, Thomas Daly, Billy Dardis, Peter Dooley, Ross Molony

no surprises there.

shame to see David Doyle has retired due to injury.

no surprises there.

shame to see David Doyle has retired due to injury.

agree,I wonder will he go abroad or what.
    Huge talent,always had immense physical presence and great footballing ability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Fair play to Dardis, Leinster would only give that to a really good player straight out of School. He must be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Fair play to Dardis, Leinster would only give that to a really good player straight out of School. He must be very good.

Molony straight out of school too-although an age grade older. I would Dardis in the same bracket as Conway when he left school-bags of potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Molony straight out of school too-although an age grade older. I would Dardis in the same bracket as Conway when he left school-bags of potential.

Delighted for Dardis. Fully deserved. I remember Conway was similarly very elusive for Rock at fullback.

• Advertisement

Leinster and Munster Academies for next year:

Loosehead James Treacy(Year 3 - Leinster - 22) - could be at Hooker.
    Loosehead Ed Byrne(Year 2 - Leinster - 19)
    Loosehead Peter Dooley(Year 1 - Leinster - 19)

Loosehead Niall Horan(Year 1 - Munster - 19)
    Hooker Brian Byrne(Year 2 - Leinster - 19)
    Tighthead Tadhg Furlong(Year 3 - Leinster - 20)
    Lock Tadhg Beirne(Year 2 - Leinster - 21)
    Lock Gavin Thornbury(Year 2 - Leinster - 19)

Lock Darren O'Shea(Year 1 - Munster - 21)
    Lock Sean McCarthy(Year 1 - Munster - 20)
    Lock John Madigan(Year 1 - Munster - 18)

Lock Ross Molony(Year 1 - Leinster - 18)
    Backrow Shane Buckley(Year 3 - Munster - 21)
    Backrow Conor Gilsenan(Year 3 - Leinster - 20)
    Backrow Jack Conan(Year 2 - Leinster - 21)

Backrow Josh Van Der Flier(Year 2 - Leinster - 20)
    Backrow Ryan Murphy(Year 2 - Munster - 20)
    Backrow Dan Leavy(Year 2 - Leinster - 19)
    Backrow Jack O'Donoghue(Year 2 - Munster - 19)
    Scrumhalf Luke McGrath(Year 3 - Leinster - 20)
    Scrumhalf Brian Haugh(Year 2 - Munster - 20)
    Scrumhalf Jack Cullen(Year 1 - Munster - 18)

Outhalf Cathal Marsh(Year 2 - Leinster - 20)
    Outhalf Johnny Holland(Year 2 - Munster - 21)
    Outhalf Steve Crosbie(Year 1 - Leinster - 20)
    Outhalf Gearoid Lyons(Year 1 - Munster - 18)
    Centre Colm O'Shea(Year 3 - Leinster - 22)
    Centre Jordan Coghlan(Year 3 - Leinster - 20)

Centre Harry McNulty(Year 2 - Munster - 20)
    Centre Tom Daly(Year 1 - Leinster - 20)
    Centre Rory Scannell(Year 1 - Munster - 19)
    Wing Andrew Boyle(Year 3 - Leinster - 22)
    Wing Sam Coughlan Murray(Year 3 - Leinster - 21)

Wing Darren Moroney(Year 2 - Munster - 22)
    Wing Adam Byrne(Year 1 - Leinster - 19) - could also be at centre.
    Wing Greg O'Shea(Year 1 - Munster - 18)
    Fullback Darren Sweetnam(Year 2 - Munster - 20)
    Fullback David Johnston(Year 1 - Munster - 19)

Fullback Billy Dardis(Year 1 - Leinster - 18)

Gearoid Lyons and Dave Shanahan to Ulster I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

What now for Harrison Brewer?

Wattle wrote: »
    What now for Harrison Brewer?

College, AIL rugby, u-19s rugby (maybe u20s), hope to get into the Academy next year.

Although there will be two strong candidates pushing for their own Academy spot in the centre next season in the form of Peter Robb and Rory O'Loughlin.

lurtz wrote: »
    Gearoid Lyons and Dave Shanahan to Ulster I think

Gearoid Lyons was announced in the Munster Academy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

College, AIL rugby, u-19s rugby (maybe u20s), hope to get into the Academy next year.

Although there will be two strong candidates pushing for their own Academy spot in the centre next season in the form of Peter Robb and Rory O'Loughlin.

Peter Robb is more suited to the English kinda game, maybe a move to Rotherham or Doncaster could be his calling. O'Loughlin oozes class, would rate him very highly. Can mix it up with the physical as well which is also impressive.

Brewer is only leaving school, will be eligible for the under-20s for 2 years. Loads of time. Very, very few players go from under-18 Leinster to academy straight from school.

Gearoid Lyons was announced in the Munster Academy

ah Im mistaken woe is me.

Still think Tom Farrell could also be in with a shout. Hopefully he can perform at the JWC.

Still think Tom Farrell could also be in with a shout. Hopefully he can perform at the JWC.

Yes there's a good crop of centres coming through. I'll be interested to see how Sebastien Fromm does out of school, and then you have Fergal Cleary and Andy Marks who have the potential to be picked up out of school.

If I'm not mistaken, after this season, Tom Daly will be the only centre in the Academy (excluding Byrne who I think will go down the back-three path), so I'd expect a couple to be taken in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement