Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Academies

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

Isnt this the first year Dempsey has taken over from McEntee?

yup, would be his first mistake aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

JagerScout wrote: »

Come on Tom, shouldn't you be out training or something? :pac:

Come on Tom, shouldn't you be out training or something? :pac:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

yea.its his first year and looks to be making an error here. they have offered 6 spots already. could it be a question of finances?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

Given the demographic and the make up of recent under age rep squads, this is going to happen an awful lot more with Leinster, they have an abundance of talent coming through and only a certain number of places. The rumour is that Shanahan is to join the Ulster academy. I have no problem with Leinster players moving to other academies as long as it keeps them within Ireland.

It's happened before sure, my biggest problem with it is that I think Leinster are making a mistake not offering him that spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

RuPi wrote: »
    Given the demographic and the make up of recent under age rep squads, this is going to happen an awful lot more with Leinster, they have an abundance of talent coming through and only a certain number of places. The rumour is that Shanahan is to join the Ulster academy. I have no problem with Leinster players moving to other academies as long as it keeps them within Ireland.

I have no problem with lads who aren't given a position in their home province's academy going to another but not provinces directly competing with each other for lads who are in/just out of school, the Luke Fitzgerald saga was something I wouldn't like to see repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Hagz wrote: »
    Maybe they rate O'Loughlin and Cleary more.... I'm perfectly happy to see Farrell taken into the Munster academy. I just want to see him in some form of an academy in Ireland.

Yeah this is a good point, Cleary and O'Loughlin are definitely rated highly and both primarily play 13. O'Loughlin will presumably be playing 13 in next year's JWC and you would expect Cleary to be there too in the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised at all if those 2 are seen as better prospects (O'Loughlin more so than Cleary, who is still in school I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

So if Cleary and O'Loughlin are 13's who will play 12 next year? Have heard Peter Robb's name mentioned quite a bit?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    So if Cleary and O'Loughlin are 13's who will play 12 next year? Have heard Peter Robb's name mentioned quite a bit?

Well Cleary is still in school so he will be with the under-19s.

Think next year's 20s number 12 will be either Robb or Brewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Quint2010 wrote: »

Robb and O'Loughlin played centre together for the U19s this year and both played well by all accounts so they would appear to be in pole position, but we usually see several different combinations over the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I have no problem with lads who aren't given a position in their home province's academy going to another but not provinces directly competing with each other for lads who are in/just out of school, the Luke Fitzgerald saga was something I wouldn't like to see repeated.

Totally agree but still would prefer the best talent available to stay with leinster when they have option. I think girvan might be reading too many message boards/media hype and not judging with his own eyes!new to the job and all!

Joking aside, mike ruddock clearly rates him to put him straight back into the team and if leinster are looking for 6'3 centres(evidenced by coughlans switch) why not go with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Munster13

I know its a few years away but i cannot wait for the battle of the tall second rows between Darren O'Shea and Devin Toner in a Munster Leinster match, that will be one hell of a fight.

Any news on Tom Farrell signing for Munster Academy yet? I would love to see him in the academy, he looked really good in the JWC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

For those in the know, how many of the u20 JWC team will not be in some kind of academy next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    For those in the know, how many of the u20 JWC team will not be in some kind of academy next season?

Adam Boland - Tight-Head Prop
    Peadar Timmins - Back-row/lock
    Tom Farrell - outside centre
    Mark Roche - centre

Mark Roche - centre

Roche is with Connacht isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Roche is with Connacht isn't he?

Not in full academy no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Mark Roche - centre

Cheers

Hopefully Farrell will get picked up....Boland was fairly impressive, but he is very small for a prop, wonder if anyone will take him on as a project

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Cheers

Hopefully Farrell will get picked up....Boland was fairly impressive, but he is very small for a prop, wonder if anyone will take him on as a project

not sure how much bigger you can make someone with his frame,could have a future at hooker. has the brain,scrummaging ability and dynamism and has played there recently

• Advertisement

Interesting to note that

Sean O’Connell who was a member of the Ulster academy has left and joined the London Irish academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Interesting to note that

Sean O’Connell who was a member of the Ulster academy has left and joined the London Irish academy.
    Former Munster Academy player Ian Crosse has also joined LI academy, having played rugby league for a short while, and John Quill is on a short training contract

heard John Quill was getting a trial,probably similar to what Foster Horan was on

Cross must be 23 or 24 at this stage?

lurtz wrote: »
    Cross must be 23 or 24 at this stage?

24 in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Cross was over there last summer and got injured so came back to Ireland, didn't play any senior rugby last yr i don't think. Quill is savage player, dunno how he hasnt been picked up in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Dave Shanahan confirmed to be joining Ulster's academy. Started up there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Good signing. Lively player with a snappy pass. The real block to him making it is the fact that he's very small. He's the same size as Paul Marshall, possibly has better basics though already.

Masterson on trial with Connacht academy. Two young Leinster players reportedly going to a Pro D2 side on trial

Dave Shanahan confirmed to be joining Ulster's academy. Started up there today.

Will be interesting to see which club he is affiliated too, good signing for Ulster and I wouldn't be surprised to see him push ahead of Heaney in the pecking order.

Will be interesting to see which club he is affiliated too, good signing for Ulster and I wouldn't be surprised to see him push ahead of Heaney in the pecking order.

really? I would have thought Heaney is much further ahead of him right now.

• Advertisement

really? I would have thought Heaney is much further ahead of him right now.

Personally don't think Heaney is that great, liable to the odd brain fart ala Marshall at times, alot of people would rate Ian Porter ahead of Heaney and with Porter getting a deal until December it could be interesting to see how things work out.

As for Shannahan he seems to have a very sound all round game with a very sharp pass and a lot of potential. Excited to see how he goes.

Heaney would still be a lot further along than him, would be shocked of shanahan leap frogged him this season.

Still no word on Thomas Farrell's future or Ulster's academy.

You won't hear anything confirmed about the Ulster Academy until after the inter pros at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Still no word on Thomas Farrell's future or Ulster's academy.

There is and will public soon enough

must be abroad then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Bay of Plenty Steamers have been in contact with Harrison Brewer about playing NPC B in two years with a view to advance him to ITM in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Whats NPC B?........ITM?

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Whats NPC B?........ITM?

NPC B is the equivalent of Leinster A,the ITM Development team

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Bay of Plenty Steamers have been in contact with Harrison Brewer about playing NPC B in two years with a view to advance him to ITM in the future.

Is this confirmed ?

• Advertisement

That'd be a fairly strange/impatient move for him, unless he's planning on a permanent return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That'd be a fairly strange/impatient move for him, unless he's planning on a permanent return home.

Would he even consider it his home? I'm assuming the family moved when his father left NZ at which point HB couldn't have been more than 1 year old or so. He has been in Ireland for the bulk of his life.

I don't think it'd be a great move for him, to be honest. I'm sure he has family and a good network of people there to look after him there but (and I might well be wrong on this) I have the impression that the U20 or so level in NZ has plenty of superb athletes who are fast tracked when they show the required pace and power. A number of their JWC squad have already made appearances for S15 development sides.

Brewer looks good but not good enough to put himself in contention for real recognition any time soon by those standards. If he was to leave, I assume he'd be giving up his chance to play in a JWC and becoming a small fish in a big pond.

he is far more likely to make it in Ireland, but top athletes usually don't view their career like that.. still assuming he returns to top health and form post injury. I'd expect him to be in the Leinster academy this time next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Buer wrote: »
    Would he even consider it his home? I'm assuming the family moved when his father left NZ at which point HB couldn't have been more than 1 year old or so. He has been in Ireland for the bulk of his life.

I don't think it'd be a great move for him, to be honest. I'm sure he has family and a good network of people there to look after him there but (and I might well be wrong on this) I have the impression that the U20 or so level in NZ has plenty of superb athletes who are fast tracked when they show the required pace and power. A number of their JWC squad have already made appearances for S15 development sides.

Brewer looks good but not good enough to put himself in contention for real recognition any time soon by those standards. If he was to leave, I assume he'd be giving up his chance to play in a JWC and becoming a small fish in a big pond.

Yeah absolutely stupid move unless he plans to come back after stint. He's on Irish radar, will be on the 20's soon enough. I'd say he has no chance over there to make it. I'm sure his father has connections and it helps...

but I thought Leinster should have offered him a full academy as I thought this might happen. People can say he's hyped but there is a lot of pressure for him to perform as a stand out, plus he changed positions and is still learning the role. Theres been much weaker players than him offered academy roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Yeah absolutely stupid move unless he plans to come back after stint. He's on Irish radar, will be on the 20's soon enough. I'd say he has no chance over there to make it. I'm sure his father has connections and it helps...

but I thought Leinster should have offered him a full academy as I thought this might happen. People can say he's hyped but there is a lot of pressure for him to perform as a stand out, plus he changed positions and is still learning the role. Theres been much weaker players than him offered academy roles.

I have it on fairly good authority that Brewer was not offered an academy spot for this year because he will spend a fair amount of it recovering after two operations in the last three months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I'm pretty sure he was born in Ireland and his mother is Irish.

O'Leary has signed with Grenoble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

lurtz wrote: »
    O'Leary has signed with Grenoble
    yep. confirmed last night when he was training in Nenagh
    Best of luck to him. Wonder why he didn't get a shot with Munster..

Rumours on twitter that Jerry Sexton and Rory Kavanagh are to join Auch's academy in D2 in France

• Advertisement

Rumours on twitter that Jerry Sexton and Rory Kavanagh are to join Auch's academy in D2 in France

Sexton definitely is.

Advertisement