Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Academies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

bayern wrote: »

Interesting appointment.

If he can do half as well as Byrne he will be doing very well.

Best of luck to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,720 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Always thought it was a bit of a shame how things worked out for him, he was a decent prospect that could've been at least a good squad player for one of the provinces if it hadn't been for all the drama with the academy offer and getting left out of the u20 squad.

His time in England wasn't great, but he had a few great performances for Clontarf in the handful of games I seen him play in the 19/20 season, but by that stage all the provinces were set in terms of hookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

He blotted his copybook with leinster when he couldn't handle requirements of sub-academy and was released.

Though you wonder sometimes does sub-academy process suit certain personality types.

He blotted his copybook with leinster when he couldn't handle requirements of sub-academy and was released.

Though you wonder sometimes does sub-academy process suit certain personality types.

Takes a fair bit of commitment for the sub-academy for players outside of Dublin to be fair, particularly when they're trying to juggle college and the amount of travel if they're living at home, unless they're lucky to have parents front up rent for a house share or they get accomodation through college.

Although I think McElroy had other issues than that, and the agent wasn't helping matters either.

Possible Academy additions:

Leinster
    Jack Boyle(LH Prop)
    Lee Barron(Hooker)
    Mark Hernan(Backrow)
    Tim Corkery(Outhalf)
    Jamie Osborne(Centre)
    Chris Cosgrave(Back Three)

Munster
    Mark Donnelly(LH Prop)
    Cian Hurley(Lock-Blindside)
    Ethan Coughlan(Scrumhalf)
    Cian Whooley(Outhalf)
    Conor Phillips(Wing)

Connacht
    Diarmuid McCormack(Backrow)
    Matthew Devine(Scrumhalf)
    Marcus Kiely(Centre)
    Hubert Gilvarry(Wing)

Ulster
    George Saunderson(LH Prop)
    Oscar Egan(TH Prop)
    Harry Sheridan(Lock-Blindside)
    Conor McKee(Scrumhalf)
    James Humphreys(Outhalf)
    Jude Postlethwaite(Centre)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Surprised nobody took Hernan last year. He's a natural 7. Do Leinster have any standout 9's in the pipeline?

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Surprised nobody took Hernan last year. He's a natural 7. Do Leinster have any standout 9's in the pipeline?

Hernan took a place in the leinster sub-academy instead of looking elsewhere.

No outstanding 9's in leinster system at the moment, plenty of promising ones but the lack of rugby hasn't helped anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭luke9311

Nothing i can think off the top of my head going by last years schools season that michaels 9 last year looked good but think hes a 5th year this year. Someone made the point earlier in this thread too of LBN was brought in they might switch him to 9 if possible as i think someone said he could have played there for newbridge in earlier years...

luke9311 wrote: »
    Nothing i can think off the top of my head going by last years schools season that michaels 9 last year looked good but think hes a 5th year this year. Someone made the point earlier in this thread too of LBN was brought in they might switch him to 9 if possible as i think someone said he could have played there for newbridge in earlier years...

Conor Duggan(Castleknock) - Leinster u19 2021, irish u18 2020
    Oisin Devitt(Clongowes) - Leinster u19 2021
    Fintan Gunne(St. Michaels) - Leinster u18 2021 & 2020

were my top three 9's returning this year, Gunne looks like maybe the best bet but he is still in school next year so still awhile before he matriculates to the academy.

They've all missed out on a year of rugby now at this stage so whose to say what will happen going forward.

LBN being converted to 9 won't happen until he is out of school, if ever. But I agree that he could be potentially special there.

Other notable names:

Michael Moloney(Blackrock) - Leinster u19 2021
    Paddy Byrne(Temple Carrig) - Leinster u18 2021
    Conor Tracey(St. Marys) - Leinster u18 2021
    Tadhg Brophy(Newbridge) - Leinster u18 2021

Will any of these be ready to start for leinster at 21? Id be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Sheridan likely joining Ulster academy, apparently.

• Advertisement

Lbn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Lbn?

Had the same question. From digging through the thread and looking up some schools rugby team sheets, I think they’re talking about a Newbridge schools player called Lucas Berti Newman.

Serbian wrote: »
    Had the same question. From digging through the thread and looking up some schools rugby team sheets, I think they’re talking about a Newbridge schools player called Lucas Berti Newman.

Yeah that's the one, he is a small centre even at schools rugby level but he is a playmaker with very good skills.

that newbridge side missed out on winning two cups last year and this year.. they have 5/6 potential academy players in:

Diarmuid Mangan(Lock)
    Luke Dunleavy(Backrow)
    Donough Lawlor(Backrow)
    Sam Prendergast(Outhalf)
    Lucas Berti Newman(Utility Back)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Is Marcus Kiely involved with Connacht already? Hard to know what our academy intake will look like, given all of our notable u20s are already in (bar Diarmuid McCormack but there's a lot of backrows in the academy already). Last few years we have tended to bring in homegrown lads after their u19 season, but obviously those lads have missed out on a lot of rugby. I think Kolo Kiripati, Kacper Palarmczuk, and Matthew Devine would be a few standouts from that age group.

Is Marcus Kiely involved with Connacht already? Hard to know what our academy intake will look like, given all of our notable u20s are already in (bar Diarmuid McCormack but there's a lot of backrows in the academy already). Last few years we have tended to bring in homegrown lads after their u19 season, but obviously those lads have missed out on a lot of rugby. I think Kolo Kiripati, Kacper Palarmczuk, and Matthew Devine would be a few standouts from that age group.

Unsure on Kiely.

Kiripati is a good shout, as you said the lack of rugby this year might slow his progress down.

Jack Tucker another one, Mark Purcell too.

Possible Academy additions:

Leinster
    Jack Boyle(LH Prop)
    Lee Barron(Hooker)
    Mark Hernan(Backrow)
    Tim Corkery(Outhalf)
    Jamie Osborne(Centre)
    Chris Cosgrave(Back Three)

Munster
    Mark Donnelly(LH Prop)
    Cian Hurley(Lock-Blindside)
    Ethan Coughlan(Scrumhalf)
    Cian Whooley(Outhalf)
    Conor Phillips(Wing)

Connacht
    Diarmuid McCormack(Backrow)
    Matthew Devine(Scrumhalf)
    Marcus Kiely(Centre)
    Hubert Gilvarry(Wing)

Ulster
    George Saunderson(LH Prop)
    Oscar Egan(TH Prop)
    Harry Sheridan(Lock-Blindside)
    Conor McKee(Scrumhalf)
    James Humphreys(Outhalf)
    Jude Postlethwaite(Centre)

I'd say Alan Flannery (Centre) could be in with a shout for a spot in the Munster Academy. He was involved in a few A games earlier in the year.

I'd say Alan Flannery (Centre) could be in with a shout for a spot in the Munster Academy. He was involved in a few A games earlier in the year.

Yeah he is there with a shout for sure, probably needs to get some irish u20 rugby under his belt though.

I think quite a few players who are u20 this season will be given longer than usual to prove their ability due to the covid break, he could be one of those.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yeah he is there with a shout for sure, probably needs to get some irish u20 rugby under his belt though.

I think quite a few players who are u20 this season will be given longer than usual to prove their ability due to the covid break, he could be one of those.

Without question - All those 18/19 year old coming out of school in the last 12-18 months are a year plus behind for the most part in terms of their development cycle - They've had a year in the gym certainly , but they've played no rugby , had no squad sessions etc. etc.

We might see a larger group in the sub-academy category next season to try to catch all those guys up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Unsure on Kiely.

Kiripati is a good shout, as you said the lack of rugby this year might slow his progress down.

Jack Tucker another one, Mark Purcell too.

Would be encouraging to see some lads from Creggs/CBS make it, great work being done down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Would be encouraging to see some lads from Creggs/CBS make it, great work being done down there.

Shame nothing came of Aodha Hession - looked like a quality half back

• Advertisement

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/u-20-side-named-2021-22-season/

The berti named in this side is that the newbridge centre with the scrum cap we refer to commonly on this as LBN or that player Ed named a totally different person does anyone know? Just wondering if it is why isn’t his name not printed to as we know it....

luke9311 wrote: »
    https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/u-20-side-named-2021-22-season/

The berti named in this side is that the newbridge centre with the scrum cap we refer to commonly on this as LBN or that player Ed named a totally different person does anyone know? Just wondering if it is why isn’t his name not printed to as we know it....

LBN was named in the u19 squad https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-rugby-u-19-squad-announced-for-interprovincial-series/ so not entirely sure tbh. Sebastian is his da's name, ex Chilean international fly half who plays for newbridge, so unless he has a year older brother?

LBN was named in the u19 squad https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-rugby-u-19-squad-announced-for-interprovincial-series/ so not entirely sure tbh. Sebastian is his da's name, ex Chilean international fly half who plays for newbridge, so unless he has a year older brother?

Thanks, year was unsure by this thinking Leinster might have had a misprint and maybe they meant LBN and the time I know of his dad yeah he’s on the coaching team for Lansdowne 20s last I heard.

I think there's some good prospects in this year's u20's team. The academies could pick up some good players, not already in the system.
    Mark Donnelly , Okeke could make the Munster academy
    Corkery, Cosgrove, Ilho and Lasisi for Leinster.
    Boyle is just 18! He could also be picked.
    Other lads that could be signed
    Loughnane
    Kelleher
    O'Connor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Ulster announced their academy for the season with 5 new entrants

James Humphreys

Conor McKee

Jude Postlethwaite

Harry Sheridan

George Saunderson

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2021/08/ulster-rugby-academy-squad-for-2021-22-season-confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Humphreys?

Poor tournament but well connected family I guess.

Strange call

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ljsulster

Was in Gloucester academy so obviously has a bit about him.

The Italy performance was shocking yes, but having watched it back his scotland performance wasn’t nowhere near as bad as people make out. He has a good pass and a smart kicking game.

Thats harsh. have you seen him play apart from that tournament? He was in Gloucesters set up as well and he clearly has something about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

So a club where is dad of director of rugby took a punt on him and now a province where is dad has a lot of history is taking a punt on him?

I haven't seen him outside his 20's performances but I thought he was among the poorer performers. Maybe judging against a high bar as we have had some excellent 10's at that level recently.

I doubt there would be an academy place for him without the surname.

• Advertisement

But you dont know anything about him other than 5 games of rugby he's played. He played essential role in getting his school towards top of daily mail cup in england and they took punt based on that. it wasnt like he was added to academy while not starring at schools level. He's then came back to ireland and like many exiles given an opportunity with a province. again not that different to the multiple other exiles who've played/still play with the provinces

Advertisement