Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A life without races is a life half logged

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Friday 07 February - Fartlek

Distance: 8.90 km
    Time: 45:24
    Avg Pace: 5:06 min/km

Took it easy enough for most of this run. I'll rest up tomorrow and see what Enniscorthy has in store for me.

Sunday 10 February - Enniscorthy 10km

Distance: 10 km
    Time: 42:43 (chip time)
    Avg Pace: 4:17 min/km

I was a bit annoyed with myself after this race. The start was inevitably going to be a bit congested. Before the gun, I wandered back over the start line, past all the lads with 0% body fat, and settled in to where I considered I "belonged".

When the gun went it took me a while to cross the line, a process not helped by walkers who had decided to hang out up front. The garmin clocked my first km at 4.50 and I was not happy with myself at all. My 10km pb stood at 45.27 and was set last September. I was fairly sure that I could break it still, but I wanted to go better than 43 mins (and had had vague optimistic thoughts of even hitting 41 mins if everything went my way). Once the bobbing and weaving was out of the way, I still wasn't where I considered that I should be.

I did get my head up after a bit. I'd been told about the few obstacles in my way, and indeed the hills weren't too bad. Nothing my hills training hadn't prepared me for! I also felt that I was making up positions on the downhill sections.

I was hurting a bit from 8 k on, but I knew i had a nice closing segment to come. Unfortunately the wind took some of the goodness out of it. I got some decent HTFU encouragement from the side of the road and tried to comply!

I was disappointed to see the clock standing at 43:08..but cheered up over a few slices of coffee cake.

My chip time also helped my mood. PB of 42:43. Basically I walked over the start line..but the Garmin doesn't lie and I should have got it together faster after that.

Still, all good training for Ballycotton (hills and congestion!).

Great value race too. All organisation spot on and coffee cake. Mmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

That's 2 good results in 5 mile and 10k in a month, nice going fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

druss wrote: »
    Sunday 10 February - Enniscorthy 10km

Distance: 10 km
    Time: 42:43 (chip time)
    Avg Pace: 4:17 min/km

I was a bit annoyed with myself after this race. The start was inevitably going to be a bit congested. Before the gun, I wandered back over the start line, past all the lads with 0% body fat, and settled in to where I considered I "belonged".

When the gun went it took me a while to cross the line, a process not helped by walkers who had decided to hang out up front. The garmin clocked my first km at 4.50 and I was not happy with myself at all. My 10km pb stood at 45.27 and was set last September. I was fairly sure that I could break it still, but I wanted to go better than 43 mins (and had had vague optimistic thoughts of even hitting 41 mins if everything went my way). Once the bobbing and weaving was out of the way, I still wasn't where I considered that I should be.

I did get my head up after a bit. I'd been told about the few obstacles in my way, and indeed the hills weren't too bad. Nothing my hills training hadn't prepared me for! I also felt that I was making up positions on the downhill sections.

I was hurting a bit from 8 k on, but I knew i had a nice closing segment to come. Unfortunately the wind took some of the goodness out of it. I got some decent HTFU encouragement from the side of the road and tried to comply!

I was disappointed to see the clock standing at 43:08..but cheered up over a few slices of coffee cake.

My chip time also helped my mood. PB of 42:43. Basically I walked over the start line..but the Garmin doesn't lie and I should have got it together faster after that.

Still, all good training for Ballycotton (hills and congestion!).

Great value race too. All organisation spot on and coffee cake. Mmmmmm.
    Good time, well done. Good race well organised and yes coffee cake was spot on. Roll on next race.

Tuesday 12 February - Indoor Football

Distance: 3.11 km
    Time: 53:13
    Avg Pace: 17:07 min/km

I was allowed a few days off post race and considering that I am moving into a more intensive speed phase of training.

In my return to football, I didn't notice any negative after effects from the race. Felt absolutely fine and got in some decents sprints. It was only four a side, so more room to run.

No complaints.

Wednesday 12 February - Medium Long Run
    Distance: 11.40 km
    Time: 1:04:20
    Avg Pace: 5:39 min/km

No complaints, that is, until my medium long run.

Felt crap. Muscles aching. I ran out a different route and got lost. I came back to work some 20 minutes and almost 4k before I should have done.

At one point, during the run, I started thinking about some work stuff I needed to sort out. That ended up being my fastest km of the workout! This probably indicates that I am a bit wimpy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

might want to watch the timing of your sessions, football & MLR.

Normally following 5-Aside, I do a recovery run the next day and a MLR the following day.
    Especially following a race - your muscles would be like stretched cheese strings!

I equate football to a session - it builds up lactic acid (like a session does) so you need ample recovery to remove the lactic acid.

Thursday 14 February - Windsprints

Warm up/warm down times
    Distance: 4.77 km
    Time: 27:12
    Avg Pace: 5:42 min/km

Sprints:
    Distance: 2.40 km
    Time: 11:34
    Avg Pace: 4:50 min/km

This exercise centres around completing 12 X 100m sprints, separated by 12 x 100m cool down(s). I wanted a flat course, so I decided to head off to the local GAA pitch. I also decided to use my flats. Both decisions turned out to be mistakes.

My warm down took me out to the pitch, which was after taking on a fair bit of water. My flats weren't quite doing it for me in these conditions. My first 100m saw me flailing along, feeling like Bambi on ice..but without the grace and agility. With muck flying everywhere, i started to look a bit more like Swamp Thing.

I did find one corner of the pitch with a bit less surface water and focused on that..but I just couldn't get the traction to get really fast.

I had seen a Garmin version of somebodys attempt at this exericize, and they did their cool down 100s in speeds close enough to what I was managing for my 100 sprints. They are undoubtably faster than me, but on track they were able to manage the transitions much better, if that makes sense. They went out fast, glided down a level for recovery and accelerated again. I would just about manage to get up to a level of speed in the 100 and when I slowed down...well, I slowed down.

I did hit a wall of fatigue on the way back. (I was warned that could happen!).

For what it's worth, my best 100m effort was a mediocre 18 seconds, my worst 21 seconds. I was holding that speed for 500m on a dry track! Usain Bolt has nothing to worry about..but then GAA pitches in Jamaica are probably dry.

I was a really interesting session though. I would just love to try it on a track and see what I could manage. Even a dry GAA pitch would do!

might want to watch the timing of your sessions, football & MLR.

Normally following 5-Aside, I do a recovery run the next day and a MLR the following day.
    Especially following a race - your muscles would be like stretched cheese strings!

I equate football to a session - it builds up lactic acid (like a session does) so you need ample recovery to remove the lactic acid.

Needless to say, my coach is blissfully unaware of when I decide to throw football into the mix! I read day off in programme this week and I thought "football"!

I was treating football as the recovery, but hey, there were only four of us there and the plan foundered!

I was also hoping that a football game tomorrow would help to remove some of todays lactic from me...that might be a bad plan. Maybe a stint in goals.:o

Maybe it's all relative. I run around like a lunatic and sweat like a pig (even though CM swears Pigs don't sweat), so for me it's an anaerobic workout.

If you're the sort of player who sweeps up and sprays the ball around, maybe it's a recovery :-)

Maybe it's all relative.

1)I run around like a lunatic and sweat like a pig (even though CM swears Pigs don't sweat), so for me it's an anaerobic workout.

2) If you're the sort of player who sweeps up and sprays the ball around, maybe it's a recovery :-)

Well, I am certainly not type (2)! I think of myself as the Michael Owen type player. The "he'll be nothing when he loses his pace" type. Shoulda been a sprinter...

No football today. I enquired about doing tomorrows run today and was talked out of it!

Ballycotton number arrived today. :cool:

• Advertisement

Saturday 16 February - 5km Time Trial session

Distance: 5.00 km
    Time: 20:41
    Avg Pace: 4:08 min/km

I did 15 mins warm up before this. I was feeing a bit stiff, particularly in my calves, so i did a bit more stretches than I normally would before setting off on an out-and-back 5km run.

My first km was slightly uphill but I pushed hard enough and clocked 3:55. I realised I was already losing a bit of puff and still going slightly uphill, so I eased back to 4.23 for the next km with the aim of hauling it all back on my return. I was seriously under pressure from 3.5km on. I was supposed to warm down for 15 mins. I did. But I walked for 10 mins before i got back to jogging!

I still have never done a 5km race, but I am hopeful now that I could get sub-20 on the day.

I have a long recovery run tomorrow. And I have been advised to respect the plan for once and to focus on the recovery aspect of it. Next week is a tough one. A 3km time trial, medium long run, windsprints and another 5km time trial!

Sunday 17 February - Long Slow Run

Distance: 18.18 km
    Time: 1:44:39
    Avg Pace: 5:45 min/km

Only just back in from it. Bit colder than I thought it would be. Time for multiple coffees.

Monday 18 February - 3km Time Trial session

Distance: 3.00 km
    Time: 11:45
    Avg Pace: 3:54 min/km

The circus is in town. I mention this as on my first lap I rounded a corner to come face to knee with a camel chewing a corner flag contemplatively.

Thankfully he decided that the flag was more interesting than me and just kept an eye on me as I moved (slightly more cautiously) on.

Laps were 3:41, 4:00, 4:01. Aside from camel disturbance at the end of lap 1, I think i went out too fast again.

I also did a 15 min warm up and warm down at close on 6:00 min/km pace.

Wednesday 20 February - Windsprints

A complete mess up on my behalf. I played football yesterday and I was scheduled to do a medium long run today. However I misread the days and trotted off to do windsprints instead.:o

15 mins warm up and down with some stretches (at least I did that much right!)

I was supposed to extend the session a bit from last weeks version. So 16 x 100 sprints instead of 12.

I bombed out on the thirteenth attempt though. The only things I can say in my defence are 1) I shouldn't have been doing the session anyway and 2) I put in a more honest effort than last week.

Best effort was 16 seconds. Worst was 22 seconds. Those were my 12th and 13th effort respectively! Average was around 18 seconds. Basically, I tried to up the tempo for my 12th sprint. My 13th tapered off into ignominy.

Two runs, two disasters. Even if for different reasons.

Saturday 23 February - 5km Time Trial session

Distance: 2.50 km:mad:
    Time: 10:18
    Avg Pace: 4:07 min/km

I didn't get out until late. I also didn't eat until late. I thought a 15 min warm up would settle me down. It didn't.

First km was done in 3.48. Second was done in 4.18, which was ok as it was slightly uphill. However at this point I knew that I was on the verge of throwing up. I warmed down for another 15 minutes and managed to recompose myself. It was just pointless trying to attempt a sub-20 minute run barely an hour after dinner.

Sunday 24 February - Long Slow Run

Distance: 9.61 km:mad:
    Time: 53:51
    Avg Pace: 5:36 min/km

Absolute disaster. Again I went out late. I did warm up, but my left knee was acting up throughout. I did three km and stopped and did a few stretches. Another 3km and stopped again. Three km more and it was really throbbing. I stopped and walked home.

I am feeling really doubtful about doing Ballycotton tonight.

Monday 25 February - Recovery Run

Distance: 6.32 km
    Time: 34:01
    Avg Pace: 5:23 min/km

I'm not sure that this was advisable, but I wanted to see if things had improved. Summary...No.

I was ok until the mysterious 3km mark, at which point my left knee began throbbing ominously again. Nothing too severe but I definitely don't think I can push on at the moment.

I am off tomorrow and I have windsprints on Wednesday. I might give that a lash on grass and see if I feel a bit better.

Tuesday 26 February - Indoor Football

Distance: 2.63 km
    Time: 41:38
    Avg Pace: 15:50 min/km

Earlier on in this thread, I promised myself that I wouldn't play football in advance of a target race. Well I lied.

I didn't plan on playing, but the game was on the verge of being cancelled so I stepped up to the mark. This decision was opposed by my coach and running companions, but I must say I felt better for it. No knee pangs, but then the distance wasn't all that.

Wednesday 27 February - Medium Long Run

Distance: 12.13 km
    Time: 1:05:41
    Avg Pace: 5:26 min/km

I don't know why I keep trying to convince myself that I am doing windsprints on Wednesdays.

I was actually down for a medium run. I came up short enough, but no pangs or twangs. I didn't feel particularly good about it..but happy enough that I can turn up in Ballycotton and see what happens.

Tomorrow..wind sprints and then rest and lots of stretching.

Be careful Druss, might be running into a rut. Don't let yourself fall into it.

Seems to be a lot of that about these days on boards!!

Big rest after Ballycotton?

Be careful Druss, might be running into a rut. Don't let yourself fall into it.

Seems to be a lot of that about these days on boards!!

Big rest after Ballycotton?

Relatively speaking. Will have some shorter stuff after that and it should be a while before I need to wind up the mileage again. I might even get a few more football games.

Still no plans to join the marathon brigade.

Thursday 28 February - Windsprints
    Sprints section
    Distance: 1.34 km
    Time: 5:20
    Avg Pace: 3:59 min/km

Warm up of 15 mins and off to the GAA pitches. Lots and lots of stretching.

I was down to 50m sprints for the day and the aim was to do 16 sprints, with 15 seconds recovery between them. I maxed out on 13 sprints. Fastest sprint was a mere 9 seconds. Then more stretching and 15 mins back to work.

Nothing more to do till Ballycotton. (I did offer to play football today, but there were only 6 takers so no game. Probably for the best!).

• Advertisement

Best of luck with the race!

Best of luck with the race!

Cheers! Looking forward to it now. My first race back on home turf and all that.

Sunday 3 March - Ballycotton 10 Mile

Distance: 16.24 km
    Time: 1:12:44 (chip time)
    Avg Pace: 4:29 min/km

Two steps forward, three steps back.

This wasn't as good a time as the one I posted back in Dungarvan a month ago. Although my Garmin insists that the pace i set is identical with the distance in Ballycotton being slightly longer. Obviously I took a poorer racing line this time out!

Plus points today:
    Really big race day feel
    My accent being the normal one again
    Nice course
    Never being alone on the course

Negatives:
    10km my Garmin fell off. I stopped to pick it up and ran the rest of the way with it clutched in my fist.
    Slightly later, at the 7 mile point, my left knee twanged. It didn't keep it up constantly as it was doing a week ago. But every now and then it let me know that something was up. My pace didn't drop much and it certainly didn't cost me my optimistic pre-race dream of challenging the 70 min barrier. That was already gone.

When I went over the line, my knee seized up completely. I collected my mug and hopped and hobbled my way back to the marquee. Part of the problem may be still not warming up very well, but there is certainly an underlying problem there. Another 5km race in two weeks time is probably not a good idea.

Still, despite the negatives, I enjoyed my day out. Some day I will do myself justice on that course.

Tuesday 6 March - Recovery Run

Distance: 5.24 km
    Time: 29:36
    Avg Pace: 5:39 min/km

And I'm back. I took it easy today. but no twinges.

Thursday 7 March - Medium Long Run

Distance: 10.8 km
    Time: 54:27
    Avg Pace: 5:03 min/km

Not really a long run. I was still reluctant enough to go too far from base, in case I seized up enroute. Most of this was doing laps on of a park, but with the amount of fog around I could have been anywhere.

Nothing posted in the last while as not much actual running has taken place. I played a game of football on Friday last before a combination of bad weather and family kept me busy on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

On my few trips out to pick up stuff in the supermarket and pharmacy, I saw joggers moving along in the sleet and felt a pang of guilt.

On Tuesday I went for a game of football and felt distinctly queasy during it. The toddler had eventually succeded in bringing me down with her bout of gastroenteritis. Returned home to find that my wife was further down that road.

Although my symptoms weren't as dramatic as those exhibited by toddler and missus, I haven't had anything to eat except a few slices of toast and a banana between Tuesday morning and now. On the plus side, my crash diet has brought me down under 70kg. Every cloud...:pac:

Last weekend, I decided to enter a 5k in Enniscorthy on Paddys Day. I've done nothing very much since, but I still think that I might as well give it a lash. I'm more worried about the lack of long runs completed in the last while and the potential impact of this on my half marathon. Anyway, todays plan is just to get moving again. So...

Thursday 14 March - Recovery Run

Distance: 6.35 km
    Time: 31:20
    Avg Pace: 4:56 min/km

Sunday 17 March - Davy Fortune Memorial 5km

Time: 19:21
    Avg Pace: 3:52 min/km

After my run on Thursday, I still didn't feel the urge for dinner on either Thursday or Friday. I decided not to run Friday or Saturday and just rest up and see if I was feeling a bit more energetic before deciding on the Sunday race.

As it happens, my appetite returned with a vengeance on Saturday so I figured it was safe enough to give the 5km a go. I obviously haven't done enough running or eating lately, but I'd paid for the race :cool: so off I went.

The course starts slightly around the corner from the Enniscorthy 10km starting point. There is a reasonable incline for almost a km, then an undulating bit, then a good downhill stretch before I needed to start climbing again. I would then return to the starting line at 2.5 km mark, then rinse and repeat.

What I should have learnt from the 10km in February was to go out a bit slower on the first km. I did not.

1st km was 3.53
    2nd was 3.41

In this period I passed a few people who I was fairly sure were running within themselves. Locals with a better idea of what was to come, as it transpired!

As i came back towards the hill to start into my second 2.5km lap, I started to regret my earlier exuberance. I dropped to 4.04 for this km and towards the end of it I felt like walking..i just kept on focusing on the downhill to come.

4th km was 4.03 and I got passed by three Slaney Olympic runners.

Again my thoughts turned to walking. Thankfully I came into the home straight, which stopped my cowardly thoughts.

Last km i have down as 3.48, but again I didn't stop the Garmin in time.

I'm delighted with this result. It was my first 5km and my "start of year" target was to get close to 20 minutes. That is done and dusted now, so I need to look at getting under 19 mins next! Also, I really felt like I was running from memory for most of this race. I just had very little energy and no training, so hopefully there is more to come.

The problem for my next phase of training is that I feel that I have no firm base for the longer distances to come. So come tomorrow, time to start ramping up the long runs.

druss wrote: »
    Sunday 17 March - Davy Fortune Memorial 5km

Time: 19:21
    Avg Pace: 3:52 min/km

After my run on Thursday, I still didn't feel the urge for dinner on either Thursday or Friday. I decided not to run Friday or Saturday and just rest up and see if I was feeling a bit more energetic before deciding on the Sunday race.

As it happens, my appetite returned with a vengeance on Saturday so I figured it was safe enough to give the 5km a go. I obviously haven't done enough running or eating lately, but I'd paid for the race :cool: so off I went.

The course starts slightly around the corner from the Enniscorthy 10km starting point. There is a reasonable incline for almost a km, then an undulating bit, then a good downhill stretch before I needed to start climbing again. I would then return to the starting line at 2.5 km mark, then rinse and repeat.

What I should have learnt from the 10km in February was to go out a bit slower on the first km. I did not.

1st km was 3.53
    2nd was 3.41

In this period I passed a few people who I was fairly sure were running within themselves. Locals with a better idea of what was to come, as it transpired!

As i came back towards the hill to start into my second 2.5km lap, I started to regret my earlier exuberance. I dropped to 4.04 for this km and towards the end of it I felt like walking..i just kept on focusing on the downhill to come.

4th km was 4.03 and I got passed by three Slaney Olympic runners.

Again my thoughts turned to walking. Thankfully I came into the home straight, which stopped my cowardly thoughts.

Last km i have down as 3.48, but again I didn't stop the Garmin in time.

I'm delighted with this result. It was my first 5km and my "start of year" target was to get close to 20 minutes. That is done and dusted now, so I need to look at getting under 19 mins next! Also, I really felt like I was running from memory for most of this race. I just had very little energy and no training, so hopefully there is more to come.

The problem for my next phase of training is that I feel that I have no firm base for the longer distances to come. So come tomorrow, time to start ramping up the long runs.

Great racing. Well done on your time, it's well deserved given the work you have put in.

Thanks. Not near your recent 5k time yet!

But, like I commented on your pb, my result in this race does put some other targets into perspective. Even my recent 10 mile results look distinctly under-par. But I think it is mainly adding stamina to get me into better half marathon/10 Mile shape.

Edit: And just saw that you did it again! Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done druss - cracking running..

Advertisement