Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A life without races is a life half logged

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Tuesday 19 March - Fartlek
    Distance: 9.13 km
    Time: 48:58
    Avg Pace: 5:22 min/km

Wednesday 20 March - Medium Long Run
    Distance: 13.85 km
    Time: 1:12:04
    Avg Pace: 5:13 min/km

Not entirely logical, but i did my longer run at a fair pace faster than my fartlek session yesterday. Just not paying that much attention to the Garmin.

Yesterdays weather was rubbish and I already knew that football was cancelled today, so I played a game of chicken with the weather gods hoping today would be better. I lost badly. It is totally horrible outside.

Nevertheless, I thought that I'd go for a time trial for the hell of it.

Friday 22 March - 3km Time Trial session

Distance: 3.00 km
    Time: 11:56
    Avg Pace: 3:58 min/km

Laps were 3.40, 4.06 and 4.07. Very windy and my imaginary olympic stadium track was carrying some water, so not too bad. Another 4.5 km to warm up and down.

Monday 25 March - Circuit Run

Distance: 10.00 km
    Time: 48:44
    Avg Pace: 4:52 min/km

Another weekend with no long runs. However I plan on putting that right tomorrow. These runs need to be done if I want to have any hope of doing a reasonable half marathon in 4 weeks.

Nice and crisp out there today. For the first time ever I combined leggings, base layer and gloves and didn't feel like a complete wimp.

I'm kind of out of programme at the moment, so I've given myself a sort of mid-term review.

For starters I typed up all my "competitive runs" in excel to keep them in a format outside of the Garmin website. Gun and chip times, Vdot, average pace, finishing position etc. I put in also put in a percentage analysis of my finishing position which is fairly meaningless, but hey, I love pointless stats. And yes, I know that running is about your own personal journey..but still.ac:

When I look back at these runs, I remain unimpressed with my long distance efforts. But then I knew that anyway.

Vdot
    Ferns 4 Mile (September 2012) = 43.623
    Wexford Faythe Harrier 10km (September 2012) = 45.7
    Ferrycarrig 5 Mile (January 2013) = 48.305
    Dungarvan 10 Mile (January 2013) = 47.2889
    Enniscorthy 10k (February 2013) = 48:104
    Ballycotton 10 Mile (March 2013) = 46.62
    Davy Fortune 5km (March 2013)= 51.8

So I'm better at the short stuff and I need to do more long distance stuff.

Updated targets
    I said I wanted to do something close to 40 mins for 10km. I'll leave that goal in place, with a view to breaking under 40 later in the year.

I targeted "close to 20 mins" in the 5km. That is well exceeded. So the new goal is to get under 19. I may only get one chance to do that this year, so that might be a challenge too far.

I don't think I will do another 10 mile this year. My target was to go under 1 hour and 15 mins. That was done. I still think that my PB is quite soft, so I will put in 1 hour 5 mins as my new target. (McMillan gives me 1 hour and 7 mins, based on my 5km time. I'm going to assume massive strides made in training :P )

I will do my first half marathon in April. I aimed for 1 hour 40 mins in my first post in the thread. I'm revising that to 1 hour 35 mins.

Next races:
    I might do the Rosslare 10k on 1 April. Just to keep busy.
    If not, it'll be a clear break until the Wexford Half Marathon on the 21 April.
    Then the Taghmon 10k on 6 May, maybe the Strawberry 5 Mile at the end of the month.
    Kilmore Quay 5km on 6 July.
    Kilmore 10km on 14 September.

Other bits and pieces as they occur to me.

Tuesday 26 March - Medium Long Run

Distance: 13.2 km
    Time: 1:10:14
    Avg Pace: 5:19 min/km

Meh.

I thought that I would get up this morning and do an almost 2 hour run to work. My ingenious plan had two connected flaws. I had left sufficient wardrobe in my office, but I hadn't left a coat there. And it was snowing.

So I wimped out and did a less lengthy run at lunchtime instead. This run had a deliberately slow second half to try and ensure that I stayed on my feet for over an hour.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 27 March - 5km Reps

Straight forward enough. Did my warm up out to the racecourse track in town and set the Garmin to 5 * 1000m with 2 mins 30 seconds recovery between each.

Km splits were 3.48, 3.52, 3.50, 3.57, and 3.33. Not fantastic.

Some of my recovery jogs degenerated into walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

druss wrote: »
    Thursday 27 March - 5km Reps

Some of my recovery jogs degenerated into walking.

I walk half of each recovery, then run into the next rep. Walking is ok!

I walk half of each recovery, then run into the next rep. Walking is ok!

Thanks for the feedback! Beforehand I had this idea that I could glide along before upping my pace again. I would love to try this exercise on a proper track to see what the times would be like.

The ambulance track on Wexford racecourse is a very handy facility for me, but it is not so ideal for windsprints and reps.

Thursday 27 March - Fartlek
    Distance: 7.90 km
    Time: 39:19
    Avg Pace: 4:59 min/km

Had my days messed up earlier in the week. I don't think that I've run four days in a row in a while. And I may make it five tomorrow, depending on how things go. If I did the long run, I could take a break and give the Rosslare 10 k a go on Monday. Tempted, but it is probably a bad idea, longer term.

Monday 1 April - Long Run

Distance: 21.09 km
    Time: 1:54:01
    Avg Pace: 5:24 min/km

I still have a vague sense of regret for not having a go at the Rosslare 10k, but I really needed to do a long run. And do another few over the next few weeks.

One down.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 2 April - Indoor Football

Distance: 2.86 km
    Time: 46:50
    Avg Pace: 16:23 min/km

I feel absolutely crocked today. Aching all over and a bit of a cold coming on. My options today were 1) fartlek, 2) game of football or 3) nothing.

Tempting and all as option 3 was, I went for a game of football in the hope that it might loosen me up a bit. I stretched more than usual, but for the first 10 minutes I was completely leaden footed. I only got going in the last third of the game.

Wednesday 3 April - Fartlek

Distance: 7.48 km
    Time: 39:43
    Avg Pace: 5:19 min/km

Went out for a run with a club in town. Nice bunch.

I felt fine after my day off for football. I probably should have done a bit more distance today but I suppose I can work that in tomorrow.

Thursday 4 April - Medium Long Run

Distance: 13.0 km
    Time: 1:09:20
    Avg Pace: 5:20 min/km

I hoped to stay out a bit longer today and to make this closer to 10 miles. I didn't get out as soon as I wanted to though.

In self justification mode, it might be best not to go too haywire in building my mileage back up too.

Friday 5 April - 5k Reps (Wipeout)

I wasn't supposed to run today. My plan was to either play football, if it went ahead, or to rest up. In either case, I wanted to move my long run to Saturday. However when football was cancelled I half-heartedly thought that I could do some speed work. I don't think you can really be half-hearted about this kind of training though! My failure today is down to laziness rather than absolute exhaustion. That and I was just really hungry.:o

I warmed up and the plan was do 5 x 1km with recovery walks. (thanks RunningKing!). First km was 3:30, second was 3:24 and then I just wimped out and did my warmdown.

I still think I should try for the long run tomorrow and then rest on Sunday. That way I can set out for a club session on Monday in a more refreshed state. And next week I will have a proper lash at 5k reps!

Sunday 7 April - Long Run

Distance: 22.01 km
    Time: 2:02:30
    Avg Pace: 5:34 min/km

I put on the HRM today. I find wearing it irritating and I don't like the information it gives me, so I go with the "see no evil" approach.

Today, for instance, it reports that I averaged 146 bpm. It should be lower for this type of run surely? It has a huge spike for the first 15-20 mins, and then calms down to 140s. I felt under no pressure throughout?!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Sunday 7 April - Long Run

Distance: 22.01 km
    Time: 2:02:30
    Avg Pace: 5:34 min/km

I put on the HRM today. I find wearing it irritating and I don't like the information it gives me, so I go with the "see no evil" approach.

Today, for instance, it reports that I averaged 146 bpm. It should be lower for this type of run surely? It has a huge spike for the first 15-20 mins, and then calms down to 140s. I felt under no pressure throughout?!

146 sounds about right to me.

The dirty data at the start is annoying, but it happens.

Thanks. I wasn't sure about it.

Given that i am closing in on 40, the number seemed to me to be at the high end of the scale for what should be a relatively unchallenging effort. I'd be happier with sub-140. And i'd hate to see what a race bpm reading would look like!

Monday 8 April - Fartlek

Distance: 9.57 km
    Time: 49:11
    Avg Pace: 5:08 min/km

Not as stiff and sore as I thought I might be, post long run.

Wednesday 10 April - Fartlek

Distance: 9.74 km
    Time: 48:12
    Avg Pace: 4:57 min/km

A club run.

Friday 11 April - 5km Technology fail

My Garmin started the day by warning me that battery was low. It also took an age to find the satellite.

When it did, I struck off on a 2km warm up. I did some stretching and set the watch up for my 5km session. 1st lap was 3:27, 2nd lap was 3:32, 3rd lap lost the satellite signal and swore at the Garmin gods.

Maybe it is satellite related, maybe its because its low on juice, or maybe its time to clear the data.

In any case, I refused to do a stop watch time trial on guesstimated distances. I jogged along grumpily for another 10 minutes and quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Might need a soft reset, seems to give them a bit of a bump.

• Advertisement

Sunday 14 April - Out and Back

Distance: 10.79 km
    Time: 55:41
    Avg Pace: 5:09 min/km

I am on the wind down pre-Wexford half so I went out aiming for between 10 and 12km. A very small part of this was on the route for next weeks race. I can only hope that it is less windy next weekend.

On my club run last week I had asked the lads about where the club track was as training nights move out there for the summer. I'd never seen it before so I ran out towards where that was to have a look. And it looks nice.

I have never run on any sort of measured track before, so I thought i should give this a go seeing as I was there. (Yes, I know this is a very stupid idea on a quasi LSR and in the countdown to a supposed goal race. But I am stupid).

I ran onto the track and reset my garmin. My first thought was to have a go at a mile. Did I mention that I have never been on a track before? Suffice to say that my maths are a bit off. I had the pace completely wrong and was suffering at 400m (1 min 8 seconds). I careered on for a bit, but a second, third and fourth lap wasn't going to happen. I am intrigued though. I want to have a go at 800, at the mile etc etc.

But for now i have a half marathon in my way. I reset the garmin and did the 5 and a bit km back home.

Monday 15 April - Club Run

Distance: 7.59 km
    Time: 35:58
    Avg Pace: 4:44 min/km

I did a warm up km to the meeting point and a warm down km back home after this run.

I was talking about the Rotterdam marathon and about how I'd heard that conditions over there were very tough. Totally shocked later to read about the Boston marathon.

On the run itself. Windy. Rainy. But I felt much better for having done it.

Tuesday 16 April - Indoor football

In the middle of this game I accidentally (I swear!) caught an opponent on the back of the leg. He had to go into goals for the rest of the game and was still limping a bit after. I thought about how annoyed I would have been with myself if the roles had been reversed. I won't play on Friday.

I was also feeling pain in a whole new set of muscles for the rest of the day and into Wednesday.

Wednesday 17 April - Club Run

Distance: 10.00 km
    Time: 53:34
    Avg Pace: 5:21 min/km

Still a bit ring rusty after football, but loosened up after a bit. I planned on holding back the pace a bit with the half marathon to come on Sunday. No problems on that score. I felt like the wind was just going to pick me up and chuck me into the sea. If the weather is the same in town on Sunday....:eek:

Thursday 18 April - Tempo Run
    Distance: 6.50 km
    Time: 32:21
    Avg Pace: 4:57 min/km

A quick enough session. I wanted to do 5k at a theoretical race pace of 4:30 mins per km. However, despite the sunshine, it is still really gusty out there.

I did a warm up km and then 4 laps of 4:21, 4:19, 4:41 and 4:42. In the first two laps I was really fighting into the wind. You can see in the last two that i'd given up!

I'll say it again, if it is like this on Sunday my targets will be gone with the wind. I'll just settle in and enjoy the views!

I'll say it again, if it is like this on Sunday my targets will be gone with the wind. I'll just settle in and enjoy the views!

What are you aiming for?

I had a disappointing half last weekend. The wind sowed seeds of doubt in my head and I ended up leaving something behind and marginally missing my target time. In retrospect I think I feared what the wind and hills would do to my time too much. So stay positive :)

Gambas wrote: »
    What are you aiming for?

I had a disappointing half last weekend. The wind sowed seeds of doubt in my head and I ended up leaving something behind and marginally missing my target time. In retrospect I think I feared what the wind and hills would do to my time too much. So stay positive :)

I revised my target recently enough down 1:35, based on a time from my "better" 10 mile race in January and hoping to improve slightly. So i'd need to be averaging 4:30 mins per km. I haven't raced a half before, so lots of unknowns.

I take your point about staying positive though! Which half did you do?

I revised my target recently enough down 1:35, based on a time from my "better" 10 mile race in January and hoping to improve slightly. So i'd need to be averaging 4:30 mins per km. I haven't raced a half before, so lots of unknowns.

Edinburgh Rock'n'Roll. Only thing that rocked and rolled were the rows of portaloo's which were blown over during the race:) I missed my target time by less than a minute. I'd given up on hitting it about half way through because of the weather and anticipation of hills. Pretty sure I could have done it now if I'd had a bit more belief. Anyway, it's a lesson learned. Moral of the story, nevermind the wind and you'll do it!

Gambas wrote: »
    Edinburgh Rock'n'Roll. Only thing that rocked and rolled were the rows of portaloo's which were blown over during the race:) I missed my target time by less than a minute. I'd given up on hitting it about half way through because of the weather and anticipation of hills. Pretty sure I could have done it now if I'd had a bit more belief. Anyway, it's a lesson learned. Moral of the story, nevermind the wind and you'll do it!

As soon as I hear "Edinburgh" I am anticipating some hills anyway! Never mind wind-assisted portaloos! Sounds like a tough one to PB on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

Reading your log with interest. Your story PB and times are around mine. This is my first half also and hoping to do it around 1.35. Most of my running buddies did Great Ireland that I missed so looking for a group to run similar goal.

• Advertisement

Carlow2011 wrote: »
    Reading your log with interest. Your story PB and times are around mine. This is my first half also and hoping to do it around 1.35. Most of my running buddies did Great Ireland that I missed so looking for a group to run similar goal.

Dunno if i could recommend myself as any kind of a pacer! I'm thinking of trying to go out at 4.20-ish for the first km or so to keep options open for a crack at closer to 1:30 if things miraculously go my way later on.

Then its a climb for a bit, so I think that would probably mean dropping back on the pace a bit. Then around Johnstown Castle the pace should probably pick up again. Will probably chuck on the boards top for a change if you want to meet up and go for it?

Advertisement