Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo s60 Opinions

Options
  • 27-11-2012 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I am looking at Volvo S60's at the moment, around 2001-2003 year range.
    I want a pertol and a big comfortable car with a price range of about 2-3k. I am also very concerned with reliability.

Any opinions on the car?
    (something like this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4007942)
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭wandererz

Not a lot of info there. Also missing one key bit of information i.e. mileage.

Perhaps ask the guys at wheelspin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I had a S60 awesome car so comfortable with loads of power.

Id get one again in a flash. But it is thirsty about 30mpg. Go for a Diesel as they will also be able to resold more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭griffin100

Comfort wise an S60 is hard to beat. Mine's a diesel auto so not sure how they compare reliability wise to petrol engines but I've over 240k miles on mine and other than standard consumables the main thing to look out for is suspension issues. I live in the country and drive a lot of crap roads so I have to replace bushes and bits every year or so but other than that no big issues. Volvo parts can be expensive and sometimes spurious parts are hard to get but my local mechanic does all of my servicing cheap enough. Go for one with leather and a winter pack with heated seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have a look at the S80 too, they can be bought for similar money to the S60 and they have more space:

media?xwm=y&id=87d108e9-75ee-4bec-aa91-653c5bb28364&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volvo/S80/2.0-T/29413491782434310/

or this 2004 one:
    media?xwm=y&id=14169823&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volvo/S80/S80-2.0/201248211166545/

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

Thanks for the advice.
    >>Go for a Diesel as they will also be able to resold more easily.

I am currently driving an s40 2008 model, 1.6 diesel in lux spec. Very nice car. However, it's underpowered, and don't have a need for diesel anymore... Moved closer to work.
    I want to get something reliable, cheap and very comfortable. At least as good as my current s40 (but older).

Do you think s60 in diesel will live ok with me taking it on short trips? I've only about 15 km to work in city driving?

>>Have a look at the S80 too
    I am not a big fan of s80. I might be a bit too young to drive that car as well (24) :)

>>the main thing to look out for is suspension issues
    Yeah, I heard about that. My s40's suspension is also very stiff. Is s60 the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

php-fox wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.
    >>Go for a Diesel as they will also be able to resold more easily.

I am currently driving an s40 2008 model, 1.6 diesel in lux spec. Very nice car. However, it's underpowered, and don't have a need for diesel anymore... Moved closer to work.
    I want to get something reliable, cheap and very comfortable. At least as good as my current s40 (but older).

Do you think s60 in diesel will live ok with me taking it on short trips? I've only about 15 km to work in city driving?

>>Have a look at the S80 too
    I am not a big fan of s80. I might be a bit too young to drive that car as well (24) :)

>>the main thing to look out for is suspension issues
    Yeah, I heard about that. My s40's suspension is also very stiff. Is s60 the same?

Suspension on my S80 is great...soft when it needs to be and handles great in the corners.......Pretty reliable but there are some issues http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81909103 (look for my post)

If your only 24 you should check you insurance first as the S60 depending on model eg the *T5 2.3 Turbo 256BHP* *2.0 Turbo 180BHP is the smallest* can be in a high class ......Im with Aviva and they calss the S80 as a High Performance Saloon ;) so make sure and check! Any other company wanted a huge premium or be over 30 :rolleyes:

Some S40's came with a 2.0T pushing out 160bhp :D not slow by any means but still check your insurance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Mmm T5/D5 would be yummay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The S60 is a real unsung hero. Very reliable, decent looking, different, comfortable and pretty quick depending on the variant. They've got a lovely cabin too and beat the socks off a 9-3 in almost every department. Petrol are not great on fuel though but as they can be bought cheap that should not matter too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

What is the 2.4 diesel engine like in the S60? I'm driving a Saab 9-3 1.9tid 150bhp and absolutely love the engine, it's easily the best part of the car. But the car has it's flaws too, like a rattly interior (very common), very harsh ride especially on the 17" rims.

0-60 on both the Saab and Volvo are identical, the Volvo more bhp, and less economical. 40mpg vs 48mpg. The reason I bought the Saab was the road tax, and when I test drove it, just loved the engine. Didn't test drive it enough though, it's very, very crashy on poor surfaces. Almost regret not at least test driving an S60 and living with higher tax and extra fuel bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Diseased toe

Test drove this one, was impressed but was just outside my price range

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S60/S60-2.0-/201230209247478/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

What is the 2.4 diesel engine like in the S60? I'm driving a Saab 9-3 1.9tid 150bhp and absolutely love the engine, it's easily the best part of the car. But the car has it's flaws too, like a rattly interior (very common), very harsh ride especially on the 17" rims.

0-60 on both the Saab and Volvo are identical, the Volvo more bhp, and less economical. 40mpg vs 48mpg. The reason I bought the Saab was the road tax, and when I test drove it, just loved the engine. Didn't test drive it enough though, it's very, very crashy on poor surfaces. Almost regret not at least test driving an S60 and living with higher tax and extra fuel bills.
    Not a huge amount more torque than the 150 1.9, but it comes a lot lower. Less turbo lag, more power before the turbo spools up, sounds a lot nicer (5 cylinder induction roar). With a fairly standard remap you'll quite easily spin the wheels in the wet up to third, which can be quite scary at times.

The latter D5 engines with 182hp were absolutely shockingly poor on fuel.

Advertisement