Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why isn't any club open at 4 in the morning?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I hate the "people can't handle it" bullsh!t argument. If someone's causing fights or whatever arrest them, leave everyone else alone. Repeat offenders get a drinking ban for x amount of time, violation of this results in jail.

Btw though, some places in Dublin do in fact stay open well after 4 *coughcoughCopperscoughcoughGardaiBlindSpotcoughcough*

Hmmm.. been meaning to head up to Dublin for a tear and staying with a few mates in a while now but I always heard coppers was a shithole, that's probably still true but it makes the place more appealing anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Technically there is no such thing as a nightclub in Ireland, all they are is pubs that have applied for a late licence so they can serve drink till 2am on Fri and Sat night instead of 12.30am. Costs clubs €440 roughly per night for a late licence which is why a lot of pubs don't do it.
    €440 a night? Seriously?
    That's madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Maybe it's a good thing they close at half 2 otherwise I wouldn't have a pot to piss in.

It's a bit unfair to the rest of us though because you can't cut yourself off. I work in a pub and there's many a night I finish my shift I'd like to have a few pints but there is no where open or if there is it's the local night club where I can't be dealing with sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

They're open much too late as it is. If pubs and nightclubs closed earlier there woud be more people in them.

Plus if people went out early and came home early they would be much more productive and boost our economy.

Where To wrote: »
    They're open much too late as it is. If pubs and nightclubs closed earlier there woud be more people in them.

Plus if people went out early and came home early they would be much more productive and boost our economy.

To the unpopular opinions thread with ya! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If they closed a 12 everyone would want a houseparty after. 3am is a good time because it leaves a window to get food but not enough to go elsewhere on the drink. The best solution would be no cut-off time because you go home when you feel its right and not pass out trying to last to kickout time or get in a fight because you're waiting for a kebab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

3 or half 3 is a grand time I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I'd love a club that opened really late but unfortunately it would attract all the d ickheads who can't handle drink, and would result in some seriously messy scenes. Having said that, it might be worth a try to see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Because it's a nanny state and apparently it's a better idea to send everyone out onto the street, pissed up, to fight in takeaways or for taxis at the exact same time as one another.
    Here's an idea, leave a little early... The nanny state doesn't force you all to stay until closing time.

Letting places stay open longer just means that everyone that can't control their drinking just get drunker and even more prone to idiocy.

In Spain and similar places they manage their drinking and have places that are open until 6am.
    It's Irish and Brits that moan about drinking hours and then fight in the chip shops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Why isn't any club open at 4 in the morning?

Short answer: Because of the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Because the privilege would be abused rather than appreciated.

Aidric wrote: »

That's not for anyone else to decide, but the person drinking.

You have no right to tell someone how much alcohol to consume and at what hour they can consume it. If they break the law while intoxicated, into jail for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Aidric wrote: »

How is drinking when I see fit to drink a privilege?

I actually think that staying open to 3AM would be a lot better and then to have a few places open later at 1AM and stay open until much later in the morning instead of none at all.

You could bitch about people not being able to handle their drink fecming everything up but that happens enough as it is with the current times.

At least this way it'd break up the 2AM rush a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Copper Face Jacks is open at 4am!!
    I know this because I left it at 4.30am a few weeks ago and it was still in full swing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

D2 stays open longer too. I've never left a club at 2 :L dunno where you's are going :L

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭omega666

K3lso wrote: »

That's not for anyone else to decide, but the person drinking.

You have no right to tell someone how much alcohol to consume and at what hour they can consume it. If they break the law while intoxicated, into jail for them.

I think thats the whole point. People dont know when to stop so it needs to be decided for them. The hospitals are already bulging every weekend with alchol related injurys, can you imagine the increase if there was no closing time. People would just keep drinking till they drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Pubs / clubs should be allowed to stay open 24 hours on a test basis for 1 week only, one county at a time.

The same goes for driving on the right hand side of the road. Anything that makes us more more European.

Vote yes for jobs ! Hiiiiiiiic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I remember clubbing in France, leaving at around 4 or 5. Going into some random shop in an alleyway and buying a few (over-priced) heineys and some lemon tasting ****e. followed by a few kebabs around 6.

Feckin' Europe and their ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

To those who say people would abuse it.
    Well i would expect that they would be stopped at the door.
    and if any hassle happens inside/people get too messy, Well they would be kicked out.
    If there's security on there should be no more problems than a club being open until 2am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I agree they should be open but the Irish and the British clubbers have a different style of drinking to those over in mainland Europe.

Many 17 to 25 year olds can't go out without getting pissed and ending up getting sick on the street or you will have some weedy little 18 year old thinking he is Mike Tyson.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Coppers most definitely does not close before 2.30am.:D Last night I was there I didn't get home til around 5am. I know it has a reputation but if you want a long night of dancing and drinking, it can be great fun! (not that I expect to convince any of you) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I agree they should be open but the Irish and the British clubbers have a different style of drinking to those over in mainland Europe.

Many 17 to 25 year olds can't go out without getting pissed and ending up getting sick on the street or you will have some weedy little 18 year old thinking he is Mike Tyson.
    There's plenty in yhe 25-85 age bracket like that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There's plenty in yhe 25-85 age bracket like that too.

There will always be a few that never learn but usually as people reach their 30s they know their limits and the amount they are able to drink.

omega666 wrote: »
    I think thats the whole point. People dont know when to stop so it needs to be decided for them. The hospitals are already bulging every weekend with alchol related injurys, can you imagine the increase if there was no closing time. People would just keep drinking till they drop.

Then let them.

Why on earth you deem it justifiable dictating to fully grown and consenting adults whether or not they're permitted to consume whatever it is they want is evidence enough of this nanny state of ours. It's high time people took some personal responsibility for their own lives - something people spend much time trying to avoid. If someone ends up in A&E, then let them pay for their own hospital bills because there isn't a greater deterrent than when it hits these people in their own pockets. That's the way you cut back on binge drinking, not closing bars and clubs early and ruining it for everyone else because a few children don't know when they've had enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

People dont know when to stop so it needs to be decided for them.
    oh? really? some people watch to much tv, should the government decide how much they can watch? some people stay in bed for a long time when off work, should the government decide how much time they can spend in bed? i can go on, also my to much can be different to yours or somebody elsess to much, its these restrictions that have caused the problem of binge drinking in the first place and it has gone from generation to generation. and i hardly think the government are qualified to decide how much grown adults can spend drinking or whatever.
    The hospitals are already bulging every weekend with alchol related injurys, can you imagine the increase if there was no closing time.
    it wouldn't be much of an increase.
    People would just keep drinking till they drop.
    all ready happening, theirs no logical reason to shut the clubs at all, let them open and close when they see fit, binge drinking is a way of life, had we always had the clubs open 24 hours we may not be having the problems were having, you restrict, people abuse whatever is being restricted, thats one thing i have learned over the years.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I realise there's less of a '' get it down you '' culture over there, but it's great to wander into a cafe in Brussels or Berlin with no doormen, decent beers, no loud music, no door charges and no troublemakers at 2am for a few civilised beers.

Another rant is how so much of nightlife in the UK & Ireland is 18-30 orientated, your tacitly expected to be babysitting or smoking a pipe if you're over 30 or 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

D2 and coppers close at 4 not half 2. There's definitely a wine bar near them that is open until 6.

How is this possible? I have heard Coppers stays open late because a Gard owns it - anyone know if this is true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I say people should be able to drink when ever they want, but the Irish drinking times do annoy me. Why go out at 10/11pm and stay out till 5am? Why not finish work at 5/6pm head out at 7pm, have a good night and head home at midnight-2am. At-least you can get a nights sleep and not be fúcked for the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

How is this possible? I have heard Coppers stays open late because a Gard owns it - anyone know if this is true?
    Nope
    Just your every day run of the mill arsehole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I always figured Ireland should have 24hr pubs. I can understand peoples hesitations towards it but I think it would actually curb some amount of anti-social behavior in places. Dublin city for instance. Knowing the amount of bollox that goes on in the city center on a weekend night, how much would it change if everyone was not going home at the same hour?

Yes I can see a bit of chaos for the first while. People being over zealous thinking they can stay out from 8pm until 6am drinking without a bother but that would settle after the fancy of not having to chug back 4 pints at 2.30am comes in.

Early house, schmearley house. give us 24 hour pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

A site called Give Us The Night has drawn up suggestions for staggered closing. It hasn't been updated recently, but this is what they suggest:

Staggered Closing

We believe that there should be a nationwide system of sequential closing times in place with regard to pubs and nightclubs.

We feel that the main cause for public order and alcohol-related offences at night in Irish cities, towns and other urban centres is linked to the simultaneous closing of pubs, late bars and nightclubs.

This results in large numbers of people being on the streets at the same time, all looking for the same taxis, public transport services and fast food facilities and in turn putting the Gardai, services industries and emergency services under great pressure.

Give Us The Night recommends changing the current closing times, which we believe indirectly encourage binge drinking. Pubs, bars and nightclubs could close at agreed, staggered times throughout the night, thereby encouraging a safer environment in cities, towns and other urban centres at night.

This sequential closing time system would mean that there would be less people on the streets at any one time. Consequently, it would make it easier for the Gardai to manage and the services / transport industries and emergency services to accommodate these people.

With co-operation from public providers, transport can be co-coordinated in such a way that Nitelink buses meet the gradual flow of people onto the streets at optimum times, while timetables for early buses can be scheduled to meet the final flow.

The sequenced/staggered closing time system could be agreed in consultation with the Gardai, local authorities or any other interested party (such as a local residents).

The system of sequenced/staggered closing times for licensed premises has proved to be beneficial in New Zealand, Australia and Canada. It facilitates the steady and orderly flow of people leaving licensed establishments throughout the night. We feel that it is time to implement this system in Ireland.

The UK has recently embraced twenty four-hour opening. Given the cultural similarities, attitudes to alcohol and record of late night public order offences shared by the UK and Ireland, it should be possible for Ireland to follow the precedent set by the UK and extend nightclub closing times so as to reduce public order offences and benefit tourism.

Sequenced closing times means that pubs, restaurants, late bars and nightclubs all close progressively later than each other.

Example:

Pubs - stop serving alcohol 12 am
    Close completely at 12.30 am
    Late Bars - stop serving alcohol at 1.30 am
    Close completely at 2 am
    Nightclub Type 1
    Stop serving alcohol at 3 am, close completely at 4 am
    Nightclub Type 2
    Stop serving alcohol at 4.30 am, close completely at 5.30 am

These are suggested guidelines and are only intended to give an outline of what we are proposing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

I'm a night owl, always have been, always will be.
    Tend to go out at 11pm or 12am, find a good bar where the craic is, drinking ensues.

In Canada this is not a problem. I get tanked, hang out in the bar, head to the nearest After Hours and more drinking ensues.

In Ireland? What the ****ing ****.

I know no-one here anymore. So I go out, get drunk, pub closes at 2am and I'm out on my rear. I could pull and go back to 'his gaff', but why the hell should I? Shouldn't it be my ungodly right to be as drunk as I choose to be without being a hindrance to the public, I.E in an ungodly pub / club instead of out on the street harassing the locals at whatever hour I choose?

This is why I cannot live in Ireland. This is why this desperate 'Coppers 1.45am' culture exists whereby one must pull 'someone, anyone' within a very narrow timeframe, thus ensuring a 'she'll do' culture that will leave me mopping up tears for weeks to come, because some random lad that my friend fell in love with decided to get his hole with someone he wouldn't ordinarily look sideways at out of sheer panic and fear that he may be the last man standing. (My friends are all too good for you btw)

Why must there be such a cold war between the sexes? Why must one (male) be absolutely hammered beyond all forensic recognition before he chooses to approach a girl, any girl, to make sure he saves face in front of his mates and doesn't go home alone?

BTW some guy approached me with the chat up line, 'I bet you have a fair bit of frontage alright, har har har' this evening. Yes gentlemen, I have a pair of breasts. Well mother****ing done for noticing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

tomthetank wrote: »
    I'm a night owl, always have been, always will be.
    Tend to go out at 11pm or 12am, find a good bar where the craic is, drinking ensues.

In Canada this is not a problem. I get tanked, hang out in the bar, head to the nearest After Hours and more drinking ensues.

In Ireland? What the ****ing ****.

I know no-one here anymore. So I go out, get drunk, pub closes at 2am and I'm out on my rear. I could pull and go back to 'his gaff', but why the hell should I? Shouldn't it be my ungodly right to be as drunk as I choose to be without being a hindrance to the public, I.E in an ungodly pub / club instead of out on the street harassing the locals at whatever hour I choose?

This is why I cannot live in Ireland. This is why this desperate 'Coppers 1.45am' culture exists whereby one must pull 'someone, anyone' within a very narrow timeframe, thus ensuring a 'she'll do' culture that will leave me mopping up tears for weeks to come, because some random lad that my friend fell in love with decided to get his hole with someone he wouldn't ordinarily look sideways at out of sheer panic and fear that he may be the last man standing. (My friends are all too good for you btw)

Why must there be such a cold war between the sexes? Why must one (male) be absolutely hammered beyond all forensic recognition before he chooses to approach a girl, any girl, to make sure he saves face in front of his mates and doesn't go home alone?

BTW some guy approached me with the chat up line, 'I bet you have a fair bit of frontage alright, har har har' this evening. Yes gentlemen,I have a pair of breasts. Well mother****ing done for noticing.

You have what now? Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

There are places in Dublin that you can dance your ass off until 7 in the morning. No alcohol license which may put off your Coppers crowd ( no loss there ), but you are free to BYOB. I've certainly never seen any violent behaviour at them and people tend to drift off home when they feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

There are places in Dublin that you can dance your ass off until 7 in the morning. No alcohol license which may put off your Coppers crowd ( no loss there ), but you are free to BYOB. I've certainly never seen any violent behaviour at them and people tend to drift off home when they feel like it.
    Any clues as to where these places are? Sounds good to me

Advertisement