Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google now uses

• 27-11-2012 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering uf anyone else uses Google now and what they find it useful for. I've been playing around with it and so far I haven't been able to find much use for it. Aside from giving weather updates and time to get home it doesn't seem to do much else.

Does anyone know how you would go about programming it to your local cinema, get Irish rail updates or even put in flight information for planes to catch?

It seems like a handy feature if I could get it to do a bit more .

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's more useful in other places, traffic news, public transport, weather reports, local attractions etc. I found I was getting much more use out of it when I was in the USA last month compared to here. Lately they've added calendar integration, it reminds me in time to leave for my next appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭knick_knack

Ah I see. So it's more a case of my location being the issue rather than my phone skills. Good to know. Heading over to the UK this afternoon so might try it over there and see how it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

If i'm away from home around lunchtime it brings up nearby restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭knick_knack

Chet T16 wrote: »
    If i'm away from home around lunchtime it brings up nearby restaurants

Really. That's pretty cool. Might see if I can search for restaurants to help it along :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Try searching for a flight id - will alert you on any changes to arrival time
    Search for sports results for a specific team and you start getting alerts on that too
    etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Again when I went away it was very good, suggesting places to visit, pubs restaurants, putting an option of translating right there in front of me as we as having the exchange rate and the time at home always there.

Thanks to the new update (if you allow it) then it should also track parcels for you if the tracking number gets sent to your email address, though I haven't actually tried that out myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's more useful in other places, traffic news, public transport, weather reports, local attractions etc. I found I was getting much more use out of it when I was in the USA last month compared to here. Lately they've added calendar integration, it reminds me in time to leave for my next appointment.

I get the traffic updates in dublin from it.
    It tagged my office and home locations and now it offers me traffic updates around the time i usualy leave work every evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

it uses information from here and tries to predict when you need the information.

it gives me traffic reports to my house in Dublin every evening from work, but on a Friday evening it gives me traffic reports to Leitrim since it worked out i travel down most weekends.

big_show wrote: »
    it uses information from here and tries to predict when you need the information.

it gives me traffic reports to my house in Dublin every evening from work, but on a Friday evening it gives me traffic reports to Leitrim since it worked out i travel down most weekends.

Seems i don't have a history :(

During the summer when i wasn't in college it copped on to my month sign on in the dole office and called it work :D

I have to go into settings on the page and click the save button for it to work, it was already set to enable.

• Advertisement

Holy **** it goes back to July sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

big_show wrote: »

Scary! But great for someone like me with a bad memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Ive had it notify me of appointments with a you must leave now to make it to x location by y time. Traffic is light/heavy. And brings up google navigation of route also.

Need to have time and location on calander entry though.

Advertisement