Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 TB portable USB 3.0 for £56.37 delivered

• 27-11-2012 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

I was just checking my daily deals and noticed Groupon had a 1TB portable HDD delivered for €84.99 which I thought was a good price.

So I checked around for better prices, as everyone should before buying of Groupon (bunch of ripoffs :) ) and I found the exact same model on Amazon for £56.37 (after Irish VAT is applied) which converts to €69.60 on xe.com (although your credit card company will probably charge you a little extra for the conversion). Amazon will charge you €72.33 if you pay in Euro.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006DZKEAW
    Hitachi Touro Mobile MX3 1TB External Hard Drive - Black
    by Hitachi
    4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (49 customer reviews) Like (17)
    RRP: £122.56
    Price: £54.99 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
    You Save: £67.57 (55%)

Technical Details
    • External USB Storage
    • Host Powered
    • 1tb

Product details
    • Product Dimensions: 12.6 x 8 x 1.5 cm ; 200 g
    • Boxed-product Weight: 699 g

The only problem with it is, it doesn't look like it uses a generic USB connection so you'll need to keep hold of the cable it comes with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's USB3, which is a standard connection - cables can be bought easily (and they're not too expensive)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Acomputers%2Ck%3Ausb+3+cable&keywords=usb+3+cable&ie=UTF8&qid=1354005713

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

D'oh... I didn't realise they changed the connection on USB 3 devices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

How do you get it shipped to Ireland? When I put in my address as Dublin it says its invalid......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I went through the process up until placing my order and I had no problems. I don't actually need one at the moment so I didn't place the order, but I got to the very last step.

Actually, just checked it. It's now out of stock from Amazon.
    230552.png

The one that appears on the link now is not supplied by Amazon and may not ship to Ireland.
    You'll probably have to use Parcel Motel to get it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Your link now goes to one that is £65 from Photo Deals, who also dont seem to ship to Ireland. There is a 500GB one directly from Amazon that does though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Use Parcel Motel ....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Says 62 available now. Would this work on a usb 2.0 laptop? Is it just that it wont be as efficient as a 3.0?

Ok stopped being a lazy git and looked it up and it's as said above works fine just at usb 2.0 speed however as i progress through the purchase price goes from 52-59 sterling still with free postage. any idea why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

d31b0y wrote: »
    Actually, just checked it. It's now out of stock from Amazon.

Same happened to me. Had it in my basket with 3 other items and by the time I had paid for it they were all gone! I got an email yesterday morning telling me they were expecting stock around 5th-6th Dec, then got a second email that evening telling me it had dispatched! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

amazon has it back in stock.......tempting hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I know this thread is a bit old, but just to warn people the drive is NOT a Hitachi drive. Its a western digital (according to the negative reviews).

Might not matter to some people but it did to me. I still have my eye on it since its a good price though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

rubadub wrote: »
    I know this thread is a bit old, but just to warn people the drive is NOT a Hitachi drive. Its a western digital (according to the negative reviews).

Might not matter to some people but it did to me.

WD bought out Hitachi's hard drive arm back in 2011. WD, Seagate, and Toshiba are the only hard drive manufacturers left.

Cheers, very interesting, looking on wiki it says there were 200+ over time, seems weird there are only 3 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

rubadub wrote: »

Might not matter to some people but it did to me. I still have my eye on it since its a good price though.

Why would it being WD be bad? I though WD were reliable? I got it when it was Hitachi and I was thinking of getting a second if the price goes back down a few pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

WD drives are OK - only ever experienced 1 or 2 fail over the years. Now if it was a Maxtor... they're pure sh!te!

For consumer level drives I would look to WD first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

If anyone is thinking of getting one of these I got mine a few weeks ago & it's working pretty well. Occasionally my laptop doesn't recognise it but if I unplug it & try again it's fine (that could be a problem with the laptop itself as it's quite old). Transfers to & from (on USB 2.0 connection) seem to be fairly fast. Overall fairly happy with it.

BroLo wrote: »
    Why would it being WD be bad? I though WD were reliable?
    It is more the fact it is not as advertised -sort of like the horse burgers! It might upset some, while some might value them even more.

I am not saying WD are crap. My mate is looking for a new HD and had mentioned hitachi. I had heard of them being very good too.

Though WD bought them, they might be a different quality of drive, be it better or worse.
    http://www.hgst.com/company/background/background
    Although HGST joined the Western Digital Corporation family of companies in March 2012, we continue to independently market and sell HGST products. We continue to invest in growing our business through expanded research, product roadmaps and attracting and retaining top talent to help the company achieve its business objectives. Both HGST and our parent Western Digital Corporation remain committed to preserving the unique value HGST brings to our customers and the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Dogre

Another option from Amazon.co.uk, a samsung 1TB priced at £59.97 and free supersaver delivery

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008PABFX8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

as the original is now priced at £59.53

Advertisement