Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotline Miami 2

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

It was. There's a jibe at the player in the tutorial from the hobo about how his instructions are worthless, as you'll just screw it up or forget anyway(might just have been in the PC version, don't remember seeing it on my PS3). I duly forgot to use the lock on once when I first cleared the game.

It often works against you, because you've locked onto the closest enemy and a guy further away blows your brains out.

• There is lock on!? I have been playing the whole time without it. Was it in Hotline 1?

Also the soundtrack is godlike. Listen to it while i play League

Yep,

Hard mode in Hotline Miami 2 disables this.

I think I'm on the last level;
    Level in a prison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yep,

Hard mode in Hotline Miami 2 disables this.

I think I'm on the last level;
    Level in a prison
    You're close. There is a surprise or two ahead of you yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Finally finished it last night, I thought the soundtrack was even better than the first and have the vinyls already ordered, I enjoyed it as much as its predecessor and hoping for a 3rd.

• Xenji wrote: »
    Finally finished it last night, I thought the soundtrack was even better than the first and have the vinyls already ordered, I enjoyed it as much as its predecessor and hoping for a 3rd.

Same as, soundtrack amazing, gameplay amazing.

Loved every minute of it...on to hard mode!!

Would be nice to be able to discuss the ending...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are we playing the same game here? This is utter, utter sh1t, as in no exaggeration its one of the worst games Ive ever played. And I did give it a chance, collected 7 or 8 masks and got all A's and B's before I quit and deleted, if it was released 10 years ago on the PSX it would still be a steaming turd of a game. I actually checked Youtube to see if what I was playing was some Chinese torture version the devs had slipped in to mess with pirates but its the real deal :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Thargor wrote: »
    Are we playing the same game here? This is utter, utter sh1t, as in no exaggeration its one of the worst games Ive ever played. And I did give it a chance, collected 7 or 8 masks and got all A's and B's before I quit and deleted, if it was released 10 years ago on the PSX it would still be a steaming turd of a game. I actually checked Youtube to see if what I was playing was some Chinese torture version the devs had slipped in to mess with pirates but its the real deal :confused:
    I haven't played two but one was a great game but sad to say I've never completed it, it's on my todo list, I'm guessing your not much into indie games or something? I tortured myself on the same level over and over on the first one but really enjoyed it. One of the main features is the soundtrack, now that is top notch!

Have you played the original?

Nope, is it a worse version of this turd as Youtube implies?

Nope, is it a worse version of this turd as Youtube implies?

Just wondering if I should ignore your opinion or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

What do you not like about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You've never played this then Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Enjoyed the first game but I could actually only play for about 30 minutes before my eyes began to hurt because of the visual style of it.

Thought it was just me at first but it seems like a common enough problem after doing some googling.

You've never played this then Thargor
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Enjoyed the first game but I could actually only play for about 30 minutes before my eyes began to hurt because of the visual style of it.

Thought it was just me at first but it seems like a common enough problem after doing some googling.
    Thats what Im talking about, it seems to be one of those joke flash games some devs release as a joke where the goal is to see how long you can stand it, it really is mind boggling reading the reviews of this game, Ive never had such a disconnect between critical and public reception and my own opinions of a game.

And people like the soundtrack! Its like something they'd use in Guantanoma to keep prisoners awake...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

It's definitely nowhere near as good as the first game. Lots of frustrating level design that means melee combat is a lot more difficult than maybe it should be...you have to do a lot of peeking in and out of doors to lure the hordes of gun wielders towards you.

Soundtrack isn't a patch on the first game either, with a fair few irritating songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thats what Im talking about, it seems to be one of those joke flash games some devs release as a joke where the goal is to see how long you can stand it, it really is mind boggling reading the reviews of this game, Ive never had such a disconnect between critical and public reception and my own opinions of a game.

And people like the soundtrack! Its like something they'd use in Guantanoma to keep prisoners awake...

Well each to their own, but it was probably one of the most successful indie titles of last year, and for a good reason; it's a brilliant game.

Everything you say seems to make sense. It could pass for a flash game.

For me it was a delightfully simple game with an excellent soundtrack and unique style. It was short and sweet. I don't care for epic AAA graphics anymore. Single player fps games bore me to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

It's definitely nowhere near as good as the first game. Lots of frustrating level design that means melee combat is a lot more difficult than maybe it should be...you have to do a lot of peeking in and out of doors to lure the hordes of gun wielders towards you.

Soundtrack isn't a patch on the first game either, with a fair few irritating songs.

Unfortunately I definitely agree with you. There's a lot of levels where I get killed just because I can't see far enough and it then becomes very trial and error. Just bad level design really. Nor is the soundtrack as good.
    Still enjoying it though, but if it was as good as the original I'd have finished it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

It's more complex than the first game. It demands more from the player. It's harder. Levels are bigger. Preferences will differ over all of these things. Personally I think it's a fantastic sequel. Sequels should build and expand on what's gone before and this game does that. Thematically as well as in gameplay. I think the soundtrack blows the first one out of the water too. No repeating tracks on different levels, and a broader range to the soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I rarely used guns in the first game, I've had to learn to use them in this game. Was annoying at first, but I am enjoying it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Ive never had such a disconnect between critical and public reception and my own opinions of a game.

it's ok man, just take it easy. What you have there is cognitive dissonance happening, basically your close mind is opening. Just try to refrain from your opinion for a moment, and enjoy the game. It's truly great.

I know we live in this hard world where companies like EA constantly pushes COD types of **** on our brains as ultimate gaming, but you need to be beyond that!

I haven't touched a CoD since giving up on III back in the day, thanks though.

You really need to pick a less repetitive and primitive game to make smug post like that about, there really isn't a whole lot to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

People on the internet having different opinions..... well I never

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I haven't touched a CoD since giving up on III back in the day, thanks though.

You really need to pick a less repetitive and primitive game to make smug post like that about, there really isn't a whole lot to this one.

That's the point. It's pretty bare because it's supposed to be - the art style and design is just a hommage to the 80s/90s which most of the target audience grew up in, but the real star of the show is the game play. It's completely twitch based which very few games are. Very few games test your hand eye coordination anymore like games used to - that's why this and OlliOlli are so popular, it is gaming at it's rawest form, it harks back to days of old when you used to load an arcade machine with 50p coins and actually be good and reactive with the controls otherwise your 50p was gone and you're back to the start of the game....

Continue? Oh go on, you temptress.

Advertisement