Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PHONE SCAM!!!

• 27-11-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

HERES ONE YOU COULD EASILY FALL FOR!

We have been advised by Vodafone to alert users to a scam that has been brought to their attention:
    >
    > If you receive a phone call on your mobile from any person, saying that he or she is a company engineer, or telling that they're checking your mobile line, and you have to press #90 or #09 or any other number, end this call immediately without pressing any numbers.
    >
    > There is a fraud company using a device that once you press #90or #09 they can access your 'SIM' card and make calls at your expense.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Worth googling these things first.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/xalan-hoax.html
    Mobile Phone Misinformation - XALAN and #90 Hoax

Outline
    Email warning claims that a scammer can take over your mobile phone if you key in #90. The message also claims that a phone virus is circulating that can erase the SIM card of the infected mobile phone.
    Brief Analysis
    This warning is a hoax with no basis in fact. None of the information provided in the email is valid for mobile phone users and the message should not be forwarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

If you fall for that you deserve to be scammed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

So the info about a hoax, is also a hoax?
    Life is confusing enough! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I have no credit on my phone anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Also if a man announces himself as the wallet inspector be sure to ask for ID first before handing over your wallet. There are plenty of fake wallet inspectors out there these days so be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Godsentme wrote: »
    HERES ONE YOU COULD EASILY FALL FOR!

You just did!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

winston82 wrote: »
    If you fall for that you deserve to be scammed.

I posted in good faith.I didn't hear of it before. But it was worth it to get the link above fromJayKay74

ANd by the way kenny - I didn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

**Looks at OP username**

Makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some kid that started that hoax is now laughing his ass off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

If a well dressed man knocks on your door and tells you he's an 'arse inspector' and wishes to inspect your arse, close your door immediately and do not show him your bum.

I wish someone had posted this advise yesterday afternoon.

I feel cheap and used now.:mad:

Advertisement