Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD help

Options
  • 27-11-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

I just got a Crucial M4 128gb yesterday with the intention to install an OS on this eventually and duel boot. I installed the SSD and booted up Win 7. The drive was not picked up in my computer. I went into disk management and no sign either so booted into the bios and it wasn't there either. I tried connecting the drive up to different SATA ports but still the same results. I downloaded a firmware update tool from the crucial site and that doesn't detect the drive either, also the power cycle that crucial recommend doesn't work either. Is the drive a dud or have I missed something obvious. My motherboard is an Asus rampage formula. I've never updated the bios on it or changed any settings other boot orders. Is there settings in the bios that need to be changed in order to get these drives working?

Comments

Have you got another way to test the drive? A laptop, a friends computer, 2.5" SATA caddy/enclosure etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Have you got another way to test the drive? A laptop, a friends computer, 2.5" SATA caddy/enclosure etc
    Not really. I have a netbook but don't really want to start messing with that. might see if I can pick up a usb-sata connection if I have no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Try a linux livecd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Did you change the drive settings to AHCI in BIOS?

[Quot;81955781]Did you change the drive settings to AHCI in BIOS?[/Quote]

No I didn't change that setting. Will changing to ACHI change how my normal drives work especially since one drive has my OS on it?
    Also thanks PrzemoF. Never though to try that. I have gparted so I'll give that a bash as well as setting to AHCI when I get home. Really hope one of these suggestions work as I don't want to go through the hassle of returning it to Komplett.

• Advertisement

After trying both suggestions from above. Even in gparted the drive isn't showing up. When I set the bios to AHCI windows wont boot, just blue screens and restarts. Reckon the drive is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Is the drive recognised in the BIOS, if not Windows / Gparted / Linux LiveCD wont see it.

Is the SATA port turned on post a screenshot of the bios settings if you are unsure.

hearny wrote: »
    Is the drive recognised in the BIOS, if not Windows / Gparted / Linux LiveCD wont see it.

Is the SATA port turned on post a screenshot of the bios settings if you are unsure.

No it's not showing up in the bios. I've tried it connected to a few different ports which are running hard drives so I'm assuming they should be ok

Sounds like it could be a dud but I would want to connect it to another machine to make sure.

Have you tried a different power connection just incase thats the issue.

I can post you a sata to usb cable if you cant access another pc.

hearny wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be a dud but I would want to connect it to another machine to make sure.

Have you tried a different power connection just incase thats the issue.

I can post you a sata to usb cable if you cant access another pc.

Thanks so much for the offer, I really appreciate the offer but I'm sure I could pick one up in Maplins or Peats. Probably handy to have one. I'll try connecting it to every sata and power port then I give up. Think I'm just unlucky with this one.

• Advertisement

aaronm13 wrote: »

Thanks so much for the offer, I really appreciate the offer but I'm sure I could pick one up in Maplins or Peats. Probably handy to have one. I'll try connecting it to every sata and power port then I give up. Think I'm just unlucky with this one.

Seems to be a common enough problem. Have a look at
    http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65215

I would try that before returning to komplett.

Pm me your address if you want me to post the cable I have about 5 of them from Samsung 830 SSD laptop kits they are just cables no case.

Advertisement