Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a set of O'Neills jerseys?

• 27-11-2012 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm sure this has been asked here before but I am wondering if anyone can help me out. I am wondering if anyone here knows off hand roughly how much you are talking for a new set of jerseys for a mens senior team? With club crest, sponsor, in club colours etc, about 25-30 of them

Couldn't be arsed with the whole rigmaroll of going through an O'Neills rep, just wondering if someone here knows that can give me a quick simple answer.

Also, I suppose it doesn't have to be O'Neills either

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't have the exact numbers but I can tell you that if you are willing to shop around you can get it a lot cheaper. Masita did us jerseys a few years ago that were under a grand. We have bought from O'Neills and it is a fair amount more than that. But make sure to clarify with the rep whether the price he quotes you includes taxes. If he is anyway coy about the answer then he is trying to evade you on the matter so don't take any guff. Obviously the price will vary as well depending on how many you get, and your own bargaining techniques. Some people will get a good deal that others can't.

If you are thinking of getting the player fit, have a good honest think about it first: are your players "player fit" material? It's sometimes a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

O'Neills jerseys may be dearer, but they last in the long run

That is the experience in our club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

O'neils charge €50 a jersey €20 for shorts and €10 for socks as far as i remember.got our mens team fittedout about 2 years ago.that includes sponsor on jersey and crest etc.

Super hoop wrote: »
    O'neils charge €50 a jersey €20 for shorts and €10 for socks as far as i remember.got our mens team fittedout about 2 years ago.that includes sponsor on jersey and crest etc.

That sounds quite high per jersey. Nearly certain that we were able to get the O'Neills ones for our own use at the time we were ordering the actual team kit and they were cheaper than that (paid something more like 40 a jersey, and that was including a small mark up to make a few quid for the club). But that may have been an order for about 60 jerseys, so probably buying in bulk made it cheaper. The price for shorts and socks sounds high as well given that they are about the same in Elverys, but I suppose with the club details that changes things.

Regarding quality the O'Neills ones are good but we got three years out of the Masita, which was not bad considering that was about 20 matches a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 barrymacca85

Cheers for the input guys.

Our jerseys are 3 or 4 years old now and getting a bit tattered.

The committee don't seem too fussed with getting the team new gear, they have bigger fish to fry in their eyes, and that's fair enough, but myself and a few of the other players are thinking of taking it on ourselves to try and do something.

We initially considered approaching a few businesses in the area asking for e50 sponsorship, putting all the names into a hat, and whoever comes out gets their names on the jerseys, however we are thinking of maybe expanding that, say asking sponsors for either e25 to be in a draw to sponsor kitbags, e40 to be in a draw to sponsor training tops, or e60 to be in a draw to sponsor the jerseys, or alternatively they can sponsor e100 to be in all three draws.

There are pros and cons to this though obviously, we will need to approach quite a few businesses, and how best to do that? If we need to approach them all personally then that will require a great deal of time and effort, but if done right we could end up with a profit that the players themselves can then decide what to do with.

So any advice from anyone that has been in similar situations would be much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Cheers for the input guys.

Our jerseys are 3 or 4 years old now and getting a bit tattered.

The committee don't seem too fussed with getting the team new gear, they have bigger fish to fry in their eyes, and that's fair enough, but myself and a few of the other players are thinking of taking it on ourselves to try and do something.

We initially considered approaching a few businesses in the area asking for e50 sponsorship, putting all the names into a hat, and whoever comes out gets their names on the jerseys, however we are thinking of maybe expanding that, say asking sponsors for either e25 to be in a draw to sponsor kitbags, e40 to be in a draw to sponsor training tops, or e60 to be in a draw to sponsor the jerseys, or alternatively they can sponsor e100 to be in all three draws.

There are pros and cons to this though obviously, we will need to approach quite a few businesses, and how best to do that? If we need to approach them all personally then that will require a great deal of time and effort, but if done right we could end up with a profit that the players themselves can then decide what to do with.

So any advice from anyone that has been in similar situations would be much appreciated!

get all the players to run a 5k run. all players get a sponsorship card.
    split the proceeds between a charity and new set of jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Seriously consider Azzuri. I don't do the purchasing in my club, but we've been using them for probably 10 years now. As far as I'm aware they are priced cheaper, and I'm certain that their service is much better. They've a very good turnaround if you need gear for a county final etc.

Regarding sponsership, good idea with the draw, but possibly offer those who don't win something also. If you have a club notes section in the local newspaper, or match reports on a club website, you could mention all the companies that participated on a weekly basis.

I.e. "this weeks match report was brought to you by boards.ie", or Walsh's Hardware Store or whatever. It would create more goodwill and some extra value on the cost of the ticket.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Seriously consider Azzuri. I don't do the purchasing in my club, but we've been using them for probably 10 years now. As far as I'm aware they are priced cheaper, and I'm certain that their service is much better. They've a very good turnaround if you need gear for a county final etc.

Regarding sponsership, good idea with the draw, but possibly offer those who don't win something also. If you have a club notes section in the local newspaper, or match reports on a club website, you could mention all the companies that participated on a weekly basis.

I.e. "this weeks match report was brought to you by boards.ie", or Walsh's Hardware Store or whatever. It would create more goodwill and some extra value on the cost of the ticket.

Yeah i am going to have a look at Azzurri now to see what they are like, price etc.

Good idea about what we can offer those that ultimately don't win the draw, if we have one, we will try to think of a few more examples like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Azzurri and Masita are terrible jerseys...awaful design. Cant understand how people could spend money on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

O' Neills jerseys are 40 quid each. You can design your own ones as well on their site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

closeline wrote: »
    Azzurri and Masita are terrible jerseys...awaful design. Cant understand how people could spend money on them.

I wore one of the first sets of Azzurri kits made, which was for one of the Waterford county teams. At the time they weren't great, but they've got much better at time has gone on.

While I had complaints myself with the quality initially, I'd have no problem at all with them now. I think that is reflected by the amount of clubs you see around the place wearing them. The material is very different and so is the fit.

Get samples, get quotes from everyone.

THFC wrote: »
    O' Neills jerseys are 40 quid each. You can design your own ones as well on their site.

So the personalised ones you can make on their website are e40 each? No hidden charges or anything like that? Have you used the icreate tool on their page for your gear? And were you happy with what you got? And also, were they the tight fit or normal?

Disagree with this, I think the designs from Masita are very nice. Azzurri ones seem ok. Of course that's all subjective. In terms of the quality of the material, I dunno if the difference between them all is much of anything at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭SQ2

Most of the fabrics used by the companies should be almost the same at this stage, the O'Neills ones have historically very good quality and items 4 or 5 years old almost look like new still. I'd prefer the O'Neills designs, but having seen the Kukri stuff (they've only got the ladies license at the moment for some reason) I'd prefer their gear altogether. If you go to O'Neills to talk to them make sure you have the cad designs from Azzuri and whoever else in your folder (accidently obviously!) for the rep to "notice". Hopefully they'll know you've done your homework and are aware of other prices. I think O'Neills tend to give equipment as a sweetener (free balls etc) rather than reduce the cost of a kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭thesultan

O'Neills would add to add a continous hoop to jersey like Tipp and Clare instead of current ones.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Kukri are decent enough as well, pity they haven't got the mens license - the gear they produced for the Cork ladies was nice, and wears well.

the list of approved suppliers is here http://gaa.ie/tickets-and-merchandise/approved-suppliers/ couple you would not have heard about - best thing is to get a quote from all of them, and ask for samples of gear to see the quality if not readily available, like O Neills and azzurri - be careful about being caught for VAT as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

hardybuck wrote: »

agree with this....ibought a set of minor jerseys in late 2009 for i think 28e each from azzurri....the service was excellent and they were very helpful with mixing sizes (for different size lads) and designs etc. in contrast Oneills were anything but helpful.....rep was kinda interested i'd say in selling me a full set of 30 jerseys but once i asked about anything out of the ordinary he lost interest ....pissed me about for a few days calling him before i copped on and went to azzurri. jerseys have gotten 3 hard years now at u16 and minor level and appear to have held up well......while in the early days the material and designs were sh1te i don't think this is the case anymore.

Re: the draw.....a neighbouring club did this recently.....100E in and winner got names on jerseys. There is a big sign on the way into their grounds detailing names of everyone who paid into the draw and i also saw all their names on the clubs notes. Seems a good idea to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭whocares86

at the start of the year i got a set of jerseys for the senior team. rang all the suppliers , oneills were the best priced 30 jerseys for €1K inc VAT but were a pain to deal with , well just one rep in particular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

So the personalised ones you can make on their website are e40 each? No hidden charges or anything like that? Have you used the icreate tool on their page for your gear? And were you happy with what you got? And also, were they the tight fit or normal?
    No, 40 each is what we paid. Last year we got tight fit large and we weren't quite big enough ;) so thus year we got the tight fit medium and they're excellent. Don't know if it was the icreate as I myself didn't actually design them but yer man did it on the o' Neills website anyway and they're top notch. Excellent quality, nice fit and they look the part. Worth the money imo anyway.

Anybody ever have any dealings with this company, KC Sports?

Seen them on the GAA approved suppliers site, seem to have some nice gear and at reasonable prices

http://www.kcsports.ie/holding_files/GAA%20County%20Finals%202012.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,720 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Seen them on the GAA approved suppliers site, seem to have some nice gear and at reasonable prices

Our club had some of their windbreakers, jackets and polo's at one stage. They were quite basic design wise as opposed to the O'Neills, but they were good enough quality, I still have one of the polo's from nearly 4 years ago, it's still in great nick.

I'd suggest Malley sports, they're competitive price wise and the gear is quite nice. Used them with the school and a few clubs use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ya we also got polos hoodies and t-shirts here over the last few years....designs as said are a little plain but to each his own. Service and prices were excellent though and quick turnabout in particular on one occasion when we needed them fast . I found them good to deal with and would recommend them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

stetyrrell wrote: »

Our club had some of their windbreakers, jackets and polo's at one stage. They were quite basic design wise as opposed to the O'Neills, but they were good enough quality, I still have one of the polo's from nearly 4 years ago, it's still in great nick.

I'd suggest Malley sports, they're competitive price wise and the gear is quite nice. Used them with the school and a few clubs use them.
    i would steer well clear of malley sports.we delt with em 2 years back.took 6,YES 6 MONTHS to get our order.sample sizes didn't match the finished product.the gear bags where the only item that was delivered as per the sample.o'neils might be a bit more expensive,but they deliver what they promise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Might be no harm to try PerformSportsgear based in Armagh. Very nice jerseys, and good to deal with. Jersey designs are savage, and the managing director was an employee of O'Neills for 20 years and was responsible for the designs and product development within the company before the designs went to ****. They dont have the licence to use the GAA logo, but in fairness, who really cares if it has the GAA logo or not, you're wearing them playing hurling or football so i dont think it'll be a mystery to know you're a GAA head. Because of this then you'll save a fortune and they do packages including training tops.

http://www.performsportsgear.co.uk

Connorzee wrote: »
    Might be no harm to try PerformSportsgear based in Armagh. Very nice jerseys, and good to deal with. Jersey designs are savage, and the managing director was an employee of O'Neills for 20 years and was responsible for the designs and product development within the company before the designs went to ****. They dont have the licence to use the GAA logo, but in fairness, who really cares if it has the GAA logo or not, you're wearing them playing hurling or football so i dont think it'll be a mystery to know you're a GAA head. Because of this then you'll save a fortune and they do packages including training tops.

http://www.performsportsgear.co.uk

Yeah but if you got an uppity referee, or if you are playing at a level with any profile at all, it can come to the attention of the powers that be. You can't play without the officially licensed gear, is my understanding. It's stupid that they have these rules, but they are rules. Probably you'd be grand, but would you chance it when if you get caught you'd have to fork out for new jerseys all over again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Yeah but if you got an uppity referee, or if you are playing at a level with any profile at all, it can come to the attention of the powers that be. You can't play without the officially licensed gear, is my understanding. It's stupid that they have these rules, but they are rules. Probably you'd be grand, but would you chance it when if you get caught you'd have to fork out for new jerseys all over again?

Good point. I wasn't aware u had to have officially licensed jerseys. If that's the case then that is a bit of a bollo^ks alright. Just goes to show how much extra the other companies have to sell at to be able to use the GAA logo.

Might give KC Sports a shout then so.

How do you go about getting samples? Do you just ask for them? How much do they generally cost? Real novice here!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

Never heard of KC, but some of those jerseys are very smart.

O'Neills might need to cop themselves on a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I disagree. We were sent samples of Azzurri and Masita and went with Masita, the Masita stuff is actually quality. They're similar to these http://masita.ie/cladagh-page.html and fit well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Might give KC Sports a shout then so.

How do you go about getting samples? Do you just ask for them? How much do they generally cost? Real novice here!

I think you contact them and they will send them out to you, not sure about the cost as we got ours for free but not sure if that is the norm. I know at my club O'Neills wouldn't send samples for whatever reason - I think they said that you could see the stuff on their site but maybe the club just didn't want to pay, not sure tbh.

Advertisement