Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow wireless speed

Options
  • 27-11-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

Hey guys need some help with my wireless. Just got updated to 150mb with upc and im not getting close to that speed over wifi.

On my 2.4Ghz I get about 27mb down 3mb up
    On My 5Ghz I get about 34mb down 6mb up

On wired I get the full speed no bother.

Now I know wifi kills speed and im not expecting 150 but 34mb seems very slow for wireless N. My router is a cisco e3000 and im using a Killer Wireless-N 1202 card in my laptop.

Any ideas what to try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you were a couple of metres away in a room fully screened from all RF interference you would probably achieve the specification.

Outside of that there are too many factors which affect the signal quality and strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

FSL wrote: »
    If you were a couple of metres away in a room fully screened from all RF interference you would probably achieve the specification.

Outside of that there are too many factors which affect the signal quality and strength.

Yeah I not saying I want to get full speeds rates we all know people will never get that kinda speed but when I'm like 100mb below the rated speed 'possible' I think there's something wrong even gettin 100mb over wifi I think would be great and that's what 40 odd mb under the spec.

Forgot to mention those tests done beside router and no walls or anything in between

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Isn't wireless async so just taking acknowledgements into account is going to reduce the throughput.

I would agree next to the router you should get at least 50% of the rated throughput.

The problem with testing the speed against an internet connection using a speed test is the duration of the test is relatively short and the speed of the internet connection is variable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You are doing quite well, wireless speeds are highly optimistic, only obtainable in perfect conditions in a lab with no interference and only a single device connecting. You also have the fact that wireless is half duplex, it will only transfer in one direction at a time (ie it uses the same medium in both directions so will only send or receive, not both), to a single device at a time where a cable does full duplex (send and receive at the same time). Data transfer is two way traffic, information is sent in batches (windowing) and must be acknowledged before more is sent.

BTW, what can you not do with the speeds you're getting? If you want to download faster use a cabled device. Also, any static devices in your house, PC's, Xboxes, PS3's, media players etc should be cabled so you make the most of your wireless (for mobility only)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

OP,
    How have you tested the upload speed?
    -Speedtest.net not the most reliable way.

A better way is to WIRE a PC to the e3000, and have it communicate over wifi to a 2nd PC. Then run iperf/jperf....handy test utility.

Wifi test is meaningful ONLY if

1 - all wifi devices in your home are turned OFF, except for the one you are testing with

2 - NO other utilities running on your test PC, which use the network connection. (No browser, no IM clients, etc)
    INSSIDER, for example is a handy wifi RF monitor - but, if running on your PC, it will cut throughput by 50% or more..

And, as Pog says, 34Mbits over wifi = basically grand....

-FoxT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

apologies for not replying sooner guys. I never knew was only have duplex that makes much more sense of the speeds. But I will definitely run a test with another laptop connected to the router to see what that pulls up.

Why am I looking more speed? Why not :D I dont have a dekstop pc so im always around the house on the laptop, would be nice to get better use of my broadband speed when downloading stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

When you in close proximity to the rounter what does it broadcast at speed wise... or in short what is windows networking telling you 150MB or 300MB? If you 150/130 then your channel width is 20mhz you will need to make it 40mhz

Advertisement