Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW 14 - Match day thread

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Well now i know not to express an opinion on here, we'll all get on swimmingly, those roughs on the soccer forum must be dreadful fellows altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

SlickRic wrote: »

anyone who captained Tevez but VC'd RVP deserves a swift kick in the nuts for that kind of luck. fúckers.

if you captained Tevez, and didn't have Bale or Fellaini VC'd then you could argue you were unlucky, but they should've been VC'd, so my sympathy lessens.

if you captained Tevez, and didn't have the likes of VP, Bale, Fellaini, Michu etc at all, then I have no sympathy as you're not paying attention and your team isn't good enough.

all in all, anyone who captained Tevez, you're a lucky bunch of bastards, but I could've easily been in the same boat :pac:

I captained tevez and had routledge as my first sub!

I was due a bit of luck though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Well now i know not to express an opinion on here, we'll all get on swimmingly, those roughs on the soccer forum must be dreadful fellows altogether.

Your opinions are very welcome Swiper. We all know you are a new player on these forums and you will find that people are very willing to help each other out. And granted, it's a great laugh to have a bit of banter between friends. But look at this forum like a classroom and the friends banter as a pub. We are all here to critique each other teams, learn from mistakes, make our teams better and debate who could be the next player that could help us steal a march on our rivals. It ain't the place to laugh at peoples misfortunes like another poster is doing (who you backed up).

I like giving advice to people here, and I'd like to think that my advice is appreciated and trusted. But I only have X amount of time to spend on such posts and I am more likely to help people that are here for the classroom and not for the pub, nightclub, banter and mcdonalds afterwards. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It seems to me that the difference between those who did well last night and those who didn't was Van Persie who scored a lucky enough goal, didn't play terribly well and got 3 bonus points. None of the other big guns did too well outside of Bale and Fellaini and neither will be captain in many teams.
    I think I will have to bite the bullet and get Van Persie in now, I'm not 100% sure how the bonus points work but it appears he doesn't need to do much to get them.
    Anyway from now on I will gratefully accept them, he will be part of my team on saturday, I think I will make Suarez captain this week though.

This was my first post, I merely expressed my opinion that VP's goal was the difference between a good week and a mediocre/bad week for many, nothing too controversial, just my opinion. The fact that there was an element of luck to the actual goal itself was interesting to me in the circumstances, It was not meant as a wind up, just an observation(genuinely), I've been getting sucked into these debates/arguments far too easily, I do believe in this case much of what I have said has been taken out of context, I repeat Robin VanPersie is a fantastic player and doesn't need luck to score goals, he may have benefitted from a little luck last night with the deflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Guys, guys, stop being so serious. the fact is anyone who capt'd RVP were jammy feckers :pac: :pac: :pac:

Finished on 60 myself, not at all bad considering i had Fletch as captain. Roll on, roll on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

manual_man wrote: »
    Guys, guys, stop being so serious. the fact is anyone who capt'd RVP were jammy feckers :pac: :pac: :pac:

Finished on 60 myself, not at all bad considering i had Fletch as captain. Roll on, roll on

MODZ lock pleez!!! GW14 is so out of fashion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

FutureGuy wrote: »

80% luck.

I'd actually say 40% luck, 60% knowledge of the game.

Those who don't know their stuff are generally caught out come the end of the season.

Watching games or at least highlights is hugely important. I've seen people on here post hundreds of word synopsis' on two different players chronicling stats per minute etc. yet they don't once comment what they've noticed from actually watching the players themselves.

Stats often don't tell the full story. You need to be watching the game and reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'd actually say 40% luck, 60% knowledge of the game.

Those who don't know their stuff are generally caught out come the end of the season.

Watching games or at least highlights is hugely important. I've seen people on here post hundreds of word synopsis' on two different players chronicling stats per minute etc. yet they don't once comment what they've noticed from actually watching the players themselves.

Stats often don't tell the full story. You need to be watching the game and reading it.

No way is it only 40% luck! like i said i agree there is a certain amount of knowledge needed but no knowledge can prepare you for a week where all your big hitters fail to get off the mark or you suddenly get plagued with injuries. Captain choice is also a major factor and at the end of the day 9 times out of ten that is luck! As the argument about RVP between a few seems to point out right now! I had him Captain for 3 weeks with little return but he was still the right choice some say, but tell that to the players who risked it on a midfielder and reaped the benefits the last few gameweeks!

Its the same with gambling, most weeks i will throw a few quid on an accumulator and its always one of the big teams who lets me down! Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal! I refuse to back Liverpool because were poor enough without me jinxing it! But the always let you down against a side that you would expect them to do well against!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Its the same with gambling, most weeks i will throw a few quid on an accumulator and its always one of the big teams who lets me down! Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal! I refuse to back Liverpool because were poor enough without me jinxing it! But the always let you down against a side that you would expect them to do well against!

This is nothing to do with luck and more to do with accums being a mugs bet

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

51pts this Gameweek. Bonus points for RVP (c), Fellaini and Michu.

Mixture of Green/Red/Grey arrows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Delighted with my score of 71 after the farce at the weekend.

Moves me up to 18,000th overall. Extremely happy to be up this high so early in the season. I'd have been happy with 100k at Christmas.

The 3 BPs for Bale and Fellaini were very welcome. Ended up with 15 in total.

Annoyed about Mata's 28 minute cameo. Had Hughes as my first sub. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

53, mostly green arrows so cant complain. Im one of the people ye same to hate this week, I captained Tevez and vice captained Van Persie :p Its nice when you get a bit of luck in this game, it was the difference between an above or below average week for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Got 70 points and could have had more as Nelsen was my 2nd sub and remained on the bench. I'm now just outside the top 50,000 in the overall standings, the season's going far better than I expected so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Got 55 points. Pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

KevIRL wrote: »

Maybe so.. but i won over 700 quid on one a few weeks back! Didnt feel like a mug that day i tell ya!;) haven't won feck all since tho to be fair!1 a season i reckon ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

KevIRL wrote: »

You should know it's a more nuanced subject than this Kev!

lol at including the likes of United/Arsenal/Chelsea at appallingly short odds in accumulators though obv.

Advertisement