Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free postage to the North Pole no more....

• 27-11-2012 12:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

what a bunch of clowns an post are! :rolleyes:

26/11/2012 - 08:32:57
    An Post wants everyone to put 55c stamps on their Santa letters this year.

The company has been explaining that, while they normally take bags of post to the North Pole for free, the recession's effecting everyone equally.

An Post has also pointed out they are competing with other online Santa services that all charge for delivery to the big man.

If your letter does not have a stamp, An Post will still deliver it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

MidlandsM wrote: »

So it's a voluntary tax? What incentive is there to buy the 55c stamp if they'll still deliver it anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Problem solved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

An Post can suck my balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Where exactly do they deliver it to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

ArtyM wrote: »

a shredder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Deliver it where? A fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

To an inferno

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Porkchop McGee

Jaysus, 55c to have them chuck a letter into an incinerator, I'm in the wrong trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Do they still do the return letters from santa to the kids?

Anyone remember them?

a shredder
    Penn wrote: »
    Deliver it where? A fire?
    To an inferno

That's not how it is at all, lads. :)

They people in the post office all sit around reading out the letters, joylessly mocking the children's poor grammar and syntax, their sense of entitlement and ignorance of life's true capacity for the misery they will grow up into.

The laughter becomes more hollow with each letter as it dawns on the postpeople that they too had joy, expectations and hope in their lives once upon a time. Every crayon mark and every poorly drawn picture of a family pet all serve as reminders of what once was, and what could've been.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If you don't pay the 55c the letter is sent back to the child marked 'recipient deceased'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

They people in the post office all sit around reading out the letters, joylessly mocking the children's poor grammar and syntax, their sense of entitlement and ignorance of life's true capacity for the misery they will grow up into.

The laughter becomes more hollow with each letter as it dawns on the postpeople that they too had joy, expectations and hope in their lives once upon a time. Every crayon mark and every poorly drawn picture of a family pet all serve as reminders of what once was, and what could've been.

post people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Men..postmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I wouldn't mind having to pay something like a euro for a kid's Santa letter for the time that someone in the post office spends going through all the letters, noting down the kids names and addresses and sending out letters from Santa - a friend's mum works in a PO and has been assigned to doing that. I think it's so worthwhile as well when you see the kids' faces when Santa has written back! Paying for a stamp though - whose pockets is that going to? Better still, there could be some kind of Santa letter system whereby you pay and the money goes to a children's charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

When you go will you send back, a letter from America.

Greenland no more, Finland no more, Alaska no more, Lapland no more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I hate to break it to you lads, but Santa doesn't do all this for free. The big man demands payment. So why should An Post be subsidising his monopoly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I only see my postman once a year:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

post people

RIP :(

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Bollocks, bought a stamp every time I sent a letter to Satan er Santa back in the day.

Didn't know it was Freepost all along!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Are Skynet doing the tracking system again this year?

• Advertisement

Are Skynet doing the tracking system again this year?

I dunno about Skynet. I usually follow the NORAD one and they've done it since the beginning so I doubt they'd stop this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

In my day the folks would make me write my letter (read it so they would know what to get me) then we had a ritual where we put them in the fire and we, being stupid kids, believed that the letters flew up the chimney and went to Santa.

Hey it was on the snow man animation so that backed that up.

My neighbours were having trouble getting their son to actually pick what he wanted so the dad brought him out back, pointed to the north star, which he informed his son is the satellite watching him to make sure he's being good and that he had to shout up to the star what he wanted and he got one chance and one chance only. There was the poor fella screaming at the top of his lungs "I want a bmx, a leather football and I.. I... Want a ben ten walkie talkie and I've been reeeeeeaaaallllly good but I hit my sister but she started it, okay??
    Hilarious!

Fup that sending a stamped letter to nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Christmas Police haven't copped this thread yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭CillianL

Fedex, UPS and DHL must hate christmas eve, the one night of the year they lose all the package business to Santa Logistical Corporation which has no overheads from all that little elf slave labour.

CillianL wrote: »
    Fedex, UPS and DHL must hate christmas eve, the one night of the year they lose all the package business to Santa Logistical Corporation which has no overheads from all that little elf slave labour.

Those elfs need to unionise, to be honest. Santa's rolling in it from all the cheques left up the chimney, he needs to share the wealth. And they shouldn't just settle for less whipping, a proper profit-share needs to be setup. Maybe even stock options in Santa PLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I dunno about Skynet. I usually follow the NORAD one and they've done it since the beginning so I doubt they'd stop this year.

1955 was when they first started it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NORAD_Tracks_Santa

I know it's wiki but i've heard this from a couple of different sources too.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭CillianL

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Those elfs need to unionise, to be honest. Santa's rolling in it from all the cheques left up the chimney, he needs to share the wealth. And they shouldn't just settle for less whipping, a proper profit-share needs to be setup. Maybe even stock options in Santa PLC.

Maybe ICTU could do something useful for a change and extend their base to the the North Pole where Santa's monopolistic corporation has all those little elves destined to a life of 24/7 toy manufacturing with only candy cane wages while the evil capitalistic Santa Claus works one day a year and keeps all the profits.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The Cool wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind having to pay something like a euro for a kid's Santa letter for the time that someone in the post office spends going through all the letters, noting down the kids names and addresses and sending out letters from Santa - a friend's mum works in a PO and has been assigned to doing that. I think it's so worthwhile as well when you see the kids' faces when Santa has written back! Paying for a stamp though - whose pockets is that going to? Better still, there could be some kind of Santa letter system whereby you pay and the money goes to a children's charity.

What? :confused:

Santa never sent me any letters. :(

• Advertisement

CillianL wrote: »
    Maybe ICTU could do something useful for a change and extend their base to the the North Pole where Santa's monopolistic corporation has all those little elves destined to a life of 24/7 toy manufacturing with only candy cane wages while the evil capitalistic Santa Claus works one day a year and keeps all the profits.

The greedy bollix keeps them in line by saying he'd outsource to China where they'd happy to work for half a sugar cube. That's rubbish though because one of the biggest selling points in Santa Industries is their North Pole base in the Arctic. If he moves he's going to suffer a lot of publicity problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What? :confused:

Santa never sent me any letters. :(

You must've been bold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

So An Post will be responsible for children not getting presents off Santa all because they won't deliver the letters to the north pole with no stamps on them...b@stards :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

So An Post will be responsible for children not getting presents off Santa all because they won't deliver the letters to the north pole with no stamps on them...b@stards :pac:

I really hope the children dont hear this, upsetting their future customer base for a few greasy shekels wouldnt be the brightest move:eek:.

Valetta wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

why not just tweet santa?

'Giz a bike nd a supriz lol'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Tell your child santa doesn't exist and he'll be lucky to get the dark meat for Christmas dinner, then, when he see's the new pc you bought yourself on Christmas morning tell him he'll be allowed use it to play games on it, but obviously you'll never let him play games on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The notice in my local PO states if you put a 55 cent stamp on your santa letter he will reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/ChristmasChannel/Letters+to+Santa.htm

"Post your letter to: Santa Claus, North Pole (using a 55c stamp). Santa's helpers in An Post will make sure you receive a personal reply from the great man himself, just before Christmas."

Not bad for 55c, but you know...rabble, rabble, rabble and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Christ are people so mean they won't put a 55c stamp on their kids Santa letters.

You do know every single child who sends a letter to Santa through An Post gets a personal letter back addressed to them. I remember getting them & loved it, made my day.

Given the society we live in I think it is lovely An Post still do this and I bet it not cheap thing to do and An Post has been absorbing it for years so I think 55c is a small price to pay to see your child's excitment when santa writes back to them.

Reminds me of Homer Simpsons attitude toward the voluntary suggested donation to gain entry to museum he was bringing Lisa to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

...Santa's helpers in An Post...

Probably earning 30% more than private sector Santa's helpers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

libra02 wrote: »
    You do know every single child who sends a letter to Santa through An Post gets a personal letter back addressed to them. I remember getting them & loved it, made my day.

NO THEY DO NOT! :mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

Should it not be an 82 cent stamp, considering it is international mail??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Still have to sort the poxy santa letters!
    Should it not be an 82 cent stamp, considering it is international mail??

Shhhh... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Can Santa not do 'Postage paid by Addressee'. Reverse the charges to show good will to his customers, season that's in it. He could fix the Post Office people up then at the end of the month with a cheque.

If not - well then Fuck Santa Clause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just wait till old Nick starts charging the same rates as UPS to deliver your kids pressies !!! :rolleyes:

¢55 will seem cheap ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

What a wonderful opportunity to introduce children to austerity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/ChristmasChannel/Letters+to+Santa.htm

"Post your letter to: Santa Claus, North Pole (using a 55c stamp). Santa's helpers in An Post will make sure you receive a personal reply from the great man himself, just before Christmas."

Not bad for 55c, but you know...rabble, rabble, rabble and all that.
    libra02 wrote: »
    Christ are people so mean they won't put a 55c stamp on their kids Santa letters.

Given the society we live in I think it is lovely An Post still do this and I bet it not cheap thing to do and An Post has been absorbing it for years so I think 55c is a small price to pay to see your child's excitment when santa writes back to them.

Reminds me of Homer Simpsons attitude toward the voluntary suggested donation to gain entry to museum he was bringing Lisa to.

+1

I never knew An Post did this, I think it's great, can imagine how happy kids would be when they get a personal letter back from Santa.

Just googled Royal Mail there (I'm working in Britain at the moment) and they do similar but it's more expensive and you're not guaranteed to get a reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

NO THEY DO NOT! :mad::(

Yes they do. I know all my cousins n godchildren have received letters back for past 10 years. All over the country.
    Myself n my bro got one every year when we were writing and this was in 80's and early 90's.

There may have been one or two slip through cracks but I have never heard of children never receiving one.

Now if you send ones that were not put in an An Post postbox well that nothing to do with An Post.

For instance I know of a friend who child posted their letter through a certain shop Santa letter box and didnt get one.
    It was obvious the shop dumped letters n didnt put them through An Post.

So if you have kids stick a stamp on letter post it early and watch the letter from Santa arrive.
    We have to trust you to tell truth & admit that one came to the child. : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

They're not a charity, wtf should they not charge especially seeing they need all the money they can get with so much competition around.

However, they do need to up their game, but it would appear they have the Unions hanging round their necks supressing any 'can do, will do' capacity that might be in some young blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I never got a fecking letter from santa an post, i'm guessing Dad never posted my letters........and a little bit of my childhood dies.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement