Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forest schools/outdoor creche - article in the Irish Times

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It sounds brilliant!

We were always outdoors as children. Wellies, anoraks, snowsuits, or whatever the weather required, I was a happy but mucky kid. I'd love to have my son experience that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would love that, I find it hard to bring the kids out in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I looked over the article very quickly today but it sounds fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ah no...its freezing outside! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Bring back there hedge schools eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I went to a conference in UCC over 2 years ago and this was promoted and it showed how toddlers/children spend a lot of time outdoors in freezing conditions in Norway and also from around the world.

The message was they dress for the weather in weather appropriate clothes and are used to it so they don't get the same amount of colds etc as they're hardened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

in county kildare the steiner school is similar, they have a kindergarten and primary school where there is a lot of outdoor time.
    The pre-school my daughter goes to make sure the chilrden are outdoors pretty much everyday, hail rain or snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

deisemum wrote: »
    I went to a conference in UCC over 2 years ago and this was promoted and it showed how toddlers/children spend a lot of time outdoors in freezing conditions in Norway and also from around the world.

The message was they dress for the weather in weather appropriate clothes and are used to it so they don't get the same amount of colds etc as they're hardened to it.

They get more vitamin D probably. :D

I think it's great for them to be outside, it was something I wanted in a creche when I was looking at them, a lot of outdoor space where the toddlers are out most of the time. The place I chose does have that, a great sandpit, lots of grass for chasing, and some slides, but they don't go out in the lashing rain.

I wouldn't be mad about having a splash pool in a creche though. You'd need eyes in the back of your head to make sure no-one drowned.

But jaysus, the thunder, lightning, torrential rain and high winds last week would have been a bit scary for them. It was scary for me! They have some indoor space as well thank goodness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Bumping for an update on this - are there any forest schools currently operating in south Dublin or north Wicklow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

My children's play school (Highscope model) went and visited this place in Donegal several years ago. Then they came back invigorated with ideas and changed the way they did things. From then on our children were outside most of the time. There was amongst other things a tree house, mud pool, forested type of area with tyre swings and hidden trails. An area with a cover that they had play kitchens and benches for sitting to do work, football. They went in to school in waterproof coats and trousers with wellies for the rain or muck, or shorts and suncream for sunshade. And there was an indoor area for the really unsuitable days too. It was just brilliant and they loved it. The school has since gone on to win various well deserved awards for their innovation.
    My family finished up there three years ago but I would just thoroughly recommend this type of place for anyone considering options wrt preschool choices. This place is in Dunboyne (no affiliation with the school or teachers) so not really suitable for you in Wicklow I know, but good luck with your search. I hope you find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

There's one in Ardgillan...I think it's a creche in Skerries that does it.North co.Dublin.They use the castle if the weather is really awful but otherwise they're out in demesne of the castle, woods and open green areas.I think it's a creche and after school care.
    I'm all for it, I know my little one is in much better form when she's had a blast of fresh air every day....unless it's torrential rain, we get out and about.We both need it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

RainyDay wrote: »
    Bumping for an update on this - are there any forest schools currently operating in south Dublin or north Wicklow?
    Rainy day did you look at the one in bray.

Millem wrote: »
    Rainy day did you look at the one in bray.

Tell me more - any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Mac0783

I would love something like this for my little one, her crèche is fantastic and she loves it. But I think for children to be out more when they're small exploring is so good for them, does anyone know of anything like this in the midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Tell me more - any links?

It's run by Park Academy in the grounds of kilruddery. I know friends who have their babies in the normal park academy in bray have their names down for the nature kindergarten from 9 months old so I'd say you need to get in there early.

Thanks for all the responses so far - very interesting.

Just to be clear, I'm actually looking for a school, not a pre-school/creche. Is there any such thing as a Forest primary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks for all the responses so far - very interesting.

Just to be clear, I'm actually looking for a school, not a pre-school/creche. Is there any such thing as a Forest primary school?

Sorry rainy day I thought you meant a 2-5 years set up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My son's school do this, they don't get much of a chance to use it at the moment with the weather being so bad but I'm hoping they can get some use of it in the spring and summer. Its a great idea and hopefully more schools will be able to do something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I live in Denmark where these forest kindergardens are the norm. We plan on moving home to ireland this year but if we were to stay I would be definitely signing our kids up to a fores kindergarden. The local one here is in such high demand, theres a waiting list, but it looks fantastic. They have their own animals which the kids help to rear and feed. They grow their own veg and again, the kids help out there too. They're outdoors nearly all day, every day. I know my son would love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

NextSteps wrote:
    This idea - of letting 2-5 year-olds spend most of their day outdoors - sounds fantastic to me. I wonder if there's anything like it elsewhere in the country (this one's in Donegal)?

I would love that for my son but when Irish water fcuks up your water and I can't bath or even wash my son at the sink is incredibly irateatung. Hes always in the park though. I always bring him or on days out :)

Advertisement