Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords service

Options
  • 27-11-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Went to Halfords on Saturday afternoon to buy a hands free kit for my phone and a twin screen dvd player.
    I looked at the glass case where the products are shown and decided which I needed some more information on. I went to the counter and asked a young girl about more information, she responded “I have an awful headache so not thinking straight” She finally came down to the cabinet which was beside the radios one of which was playing, Again she turned to me and said “I have an awful headache today” in a really complaining manner while holding her head and she turned down the radio. I pointed to the Motorola unit and asked did it need to wired into the car, she responded “I wouldn’t know that”, she went and asked a young guy at the till and he said it did. I then asked her did the number calling come up on the screen, she shouted up to the till to the guy and asked whether the numbers came up, he shouted back an answer from the till. There was a gap on the shelf where the Super Tooth Buddy was advertised, I asked was it in stock, she stated very shortly, “if its not there its not in stock”, I asked if they would be getting it in, she replied “I wouldn’t know, we just accept what arrives in the shipment”, she didn’t even go off to see whether it may become available or ask for a number to call me back, instead she continued to look at me as if I was annoying her and as if she wanted me to leave to get back to nursing her headache. I stated she wasn’t of much assistance to my questions and left, not even bothering to enquire about the dvd player.
    It was one of the worst cases of customer service I have witnessed and shall not be back. In this climate there are lots of people who would be only too glad to have a job.
    Where else in Kilkenny can I buy a hands free “Super Tooth Buddy” car kit for my phone ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

She sounded hungover to be honest!
    Maybe try Walsh's on Walkin St.? Know what they are talking about over there, think they do Audio stuff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

At the same time if you wanted something to a degree you are at a loss

Would you not have said " If you are not well or don't know can you send down to me some one who can help"

To be honest when it comes to poor service it's her manager / the company you should be telling not boards.ie

I do agree though that some people working in shops really shouldn't be they have zero interest in customer satisfaction ( which I also have at my job some days but doesn't really impact any one :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

At the same time if you wanted something to a degree you are at a loss

Would you not have said " If you are not well or don't know can you send down to me some one who can help"

To be honest when it comes to poor service it's her manager / the company you should be telling not boards.ie

I do agree though that some people working in shops really shouldn't be they have zero interest in customer satisfaction ( which I also have at my job some days but doesn't really impact any one :) )

Hi, thanks for advice. I have already informed Halfords, I was wondering where I can buy these products locally as I am not from the area.
    Many thanks

I wouldn't totally blame the girl either. It sounds like the company need to train their staff a bit better on the products they stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Try Walshes on Walking Street or Top Parts off the ring road opposite the Woodies entrance.
    There is another place opposite the new Ford garage in Hebron Industrial estate.
    Argos on High street too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I'm afraid this is nothing new for Halfords.

They are grand for picking up cleaning stuff/oil when its on offer, or if you're stuck for something on a Sunday, but I wouldn't be asking them anything technical.

Apparently their bicycle guys are grand though.

By the way, here's your item on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supertooth-Buddy-Bluetooth%C2%AE-handsfree-SuperTooth/dp/B0039P1O4O/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354024025&sr=1-3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Halfords have people working for them who dont really know anything about cars,oils or anything like that in general and yeah the bikehut guys are ok but then again putting a bike together isnt exactly a hard thing to do. Before you go into Halfords do some research as to what you are looking for and you will ok then as the staff might not know themselves what you are exactly looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Must be something in the air in that industrial estate, the service is equally as bad in Woodies. They're the most disinterested staff I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You'll pay double or more in woodies what you'll pay anywhere else, their only advantage is being open at times when you're actually free to do DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

I had a bulb put in my car at halfords as i needed it that night and had'nt a screwdriver to get in at the back of lamp.
    Driving down the ring road after it heard sudden bang in the engine and something hit the road.
    Went around the roundabout to go back and see what it was turned out to be the inside light cover.
    Lucky for me no damage done to the engine.
    17 euro for the bulb and fitting never again.
    Got a bulb recently in another car part place for 5 euro and fitted it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Went to get a bulb changed....guy opened the packet but went out to car and couldn't put in the bulb becuase he couldn't get cover off. Because he had opened the packet I had to pay for them....so drove away with light still broken and a lighter wallet...totally my own fault for paying.

And as for woodies..I find bretts hardware very helpful. I have banned myself from woodies and while bretts has a lot less stock they will always give advice and tell you exactly what items you need to get and where to get it if they don't have it.

mick kk wrote: »
    Went to get a bulb changed....guy opened the packet but went out to car and couldn't put in the bulb becuase he couldn't get cover off. Because he had opened the packet I had to pay for them....so drove away with light still broken and a lighter wallet...totally my own fault for paying.

And as for woodies..I find bretts hardware very helpful. I have banned myself from woodies and while bretts has a lot less stock they will always give advice and tell you exactly what items you need to get and where to get it if they don't have it.

Thats a good one alright. You should'nt of paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I only buy Air Freshners or De-icer there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Santa bought a bike in Halfords last Christmas. It's spent the best part of three months in there getting fixed since. Their bloody cheap maintenance contract - it should say that for €12.50 for the year we fix your bike but it'll be in the bike hospital for at least a month. They make the Irish health system look wonderful. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

In all fairness the manager got in touch with me regarding the incident and the matter has been resolved amicably. thanks to Andy the manager for dealing with this professionally.

Glenalla wrote: »
    In all fairness the manager got in touch with me regarding the incident and the matter has been resolved amicably. thanks to Andy the manager for dealing with this professionally.

Had nothing to do with the posts on here i wonder:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I don't know how many times I have went in there and your waiting ages for some one to serve you at the till, I normally have to go down to the back of the shop only to be told that some one will be there soon. Last time there was a girl in uniform doing a stocktake on a row and waited until she had the row counted before she decided to put down the clipboard and serve, a good 5-10 minutes.

This isn't a once off but its a common occurrence, or it used to be because I don't bother going in there anymore to wait 5 minutes to be served.

Dymo wrote: »
    I don't know how many times I have went in there and your waiting ages for some one to serve you at the till, I normally have to go down to the back of the shop only to be told that some one will be there soon. Last time there was a girl in uniform doing a stocktake on a row and waited until she had the row counted before she decided to put down the clipboard and serve, a good 5-10 minutes.

This isn't a once off but its a common occurrence, or it used to be because I don't bother going in there anymore to wait 5 minutes to be served.

Same as. Left without buying anything last time, couldn't be arsed waiting.

I think Halfords problem is they employ shop staff, where as in a store like there's, staff need to have at least some technical knowledge as well. And that's no disrespect to anyone who works in a shop by the way, tough job at the best time dealing with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

More Halfrauds nonsense in Kilkenny today.
    I picked a litre of gear oil off the shelf which said €11.99 on the shelf, when I got to the counter the price had risen to €13.49. The girl went on to tell me that there is a little 5 digit code on the price lable and if it doesn't match a code on the product then it's the wrong price, as if the general public are going to go around checking codes on lables FFS:mad:
    I suppose the idea is you'll have forgotten the price when you get to the counter.
    Its illegal to charge any price other than that displayed afaik.
    Top Parts are just across the road, I'd advise everybody to use them instead of this lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

hi5 wrote: »

No it's not. If it's a genuine error it is OK.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

More Halfrauds nonsense in Kilkenny today.
    I picked a litre of gear oil off the shelf which said €11.99 on the shelf, when I got to the counter the price had risen to €13.49. The girl went on to tell me that there is a little 5 digit code on the price lable and if it doesn't match a code on the product then it's the wrong price, as if the general public are going to go around checking codes on lables FFS:mad:
    I suppose the idea is you'll have forgotten the price when you get to the counter.
    Top Parts are just across the road, I'd advise everybody to use them instead of this lot.

You don't shop in many supermarkets do you? It happens frequently in many shops. It's a simple mistake, perhaps you read the wrong label, perhaps they stocked the wrong shelf? The price on the label is only an invitation to treat and is not binding but it is illegal to intentionally set out to deceive the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Here we go!, someone willing to take to the internet shouting their rights when their wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I like Halfords, they at least know about claying a car, when i asked at a place i shall not mention they looked at me as if i was off my topper.
    Captain Havoc is right, the sale takes place at the checkout, it is up to you to decide whether or not to proceed.
    Supermarkets are a nightmare for putting wrong stock, but hang on customers can be frequently seen popping things back on a shelf without checking to see if it is the right place for the item.
    So it is not always down to the shop, Happy christmas Halfords and everyone else, always look on the brightside of life.

Advertisement