Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church Road to the M50, which way?

Options
  • 27-11-2012 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I'm never too sure which is quicker, via Windgates and the southern cross road or via Mill/Glen road and up the N11 to the M50.
    So, if you find yourself coming out of Supervalu in the middle of the day, do you go left or right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Left towards the Southern Cross , Bray at that time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Left towards the Southern Cross , Bray at that time of day.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Hmmm....I wonder. Your talking about 14km left and 16km right. However, 6kms on the right are on the N11 while you would be going over bray head to the left.

Sounds like a good topgear race....well maybe not:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

From Supervalu to the end of the slip road at Enniskerry, which is where you'd join the N11 if you went via Southern Cross, Google says 8.8km/11 mins via Windgates/Southern Cross and 11.6km/12 mins via Mill/Glen Roads. I don't know how Google works out it's timings, but given those distances, the times don't sound right to me ... I reckon the route via Mill/Glen Roads would be quicker personally despite the extra distance, depending on the time of day.

The OP said middle of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Personally, I take the delgany/N11 option as you have 6 km of that marginally longer trip on the N11, but as Robertr says until I time it both ways, we shall never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Surely you're talking about saving about 3 minutes max no matter which way is quicker.
    Having said that, I would probably go towards the Southern Cross. You're through the worst of the Greystones village traffic by Super Valu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Stuck at the lights at Blacklion, stuck at the lights at Lidl, stuck behind and 84 going up Windgates.

Straight run to Delgany junction, foot down extra time negated. No contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ChoosySuzie

Delgany every time - 2 lanes of traffic and no busses / tractors to be stuck behind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

AA route planner threw up interesting results:

Church Road to Cherrywood via Delgany - 20 mins, 18.18km, €2.90 in fuel
    Church Road to Cherrywood via Southern Cross - 20 mins, 15.93km, €2.43 in fuel (had to enter via Southern Cross Route, Bray to get the result)

The Delgany route came up as the preferred route although more is spent on fuel with a similar time. So in essence, it really depends on traffic but is cheaper to go the Windgates route, again traffic dependant...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

astrofluff wrote: »
    AA route planner threw up interesting results:

Church Road to Cherrywood via Delgany - 20 mins, 18.18km, €2.90 in fuel
    Church Road to Cherrywood via Southern Cross - 20 mins, 15.93km, €2.43 in fuel (had to enter via Southern Cross Route, Bray to get the result)

The Delgany route came up as the preferred route although more is spent on fuel with a similar time. So in essence, it really depends on traffic but is cheaper to go the Windgates route, again traffic dependant...

Wonder does it take the climb over Bray head into consideration for those Fuel figures?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Stuck at the lights at Blacklion, stuck at the lights at Lidl, stuck behind and 84 going up Windgates.

Straight run to Delgany junction, foot down extra time negated. No contest.

And believe me there are plenty of people that think the 60km is 6km, that the crawler lane up towards Windgates is not for them!

I'd be taking the Delgany route every time if I didn't live near Lidl :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

And believe me there are plenty of people that think the 60km is 6km, that the crawler lane up towards Windgates is not for them!

:(
    Yes, and many more who think the slow lane is for overtaking irrespective of the speed limit. :mad:

Cerco wrote: »
    Yes, and many more who think the slow lane is for overtaking irrespective of the speed limit. :mad:

Just because some drivers are driving at the allowed speed limit doesn't mean they should stay in the overtaking/fast lane.
    I have tried both routes today and the Windgates choice was the quicker by 2 minutes. Time was between 12.30 and 14.00

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Just because some drivers are driving at the allowed speed limit doesn't mean they should stay in the overtaking/fast lane.

I am aware of the ROR. However the section of the road in question does not have an overtaking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Cerco wrote: »
    I am aware of the ROR. However the section of the road in question does not have an overtaking lane.

ROR?

The section of road from Lidl / Blacklion towards Windgates DOES have 2 lanes up the hill, the idea being slow moving vehicles keep left and allow faster vehicles to safely overtake.

Sadly not every driver of a slow moving vehicle moves over, so people are tempted to undertake or overtake further along the road in frustration.

It's the luck of the draw going via Windgates, lovely road when it's empty, terrible when you are stuck behind Mildred doing 20 km/hr in her Micra, or Pat in his 1981 overloaded van.

ROR?

The section of road from Lidl / Blacklion towards Windgates DOES have 2 lanes up the hill, the idea being slow moving vehicles keep left and allow faster vehicles to safely overtake.

ROR = Rules of the Road.
    If you consult same you will see that that section of road has normal lane and a climbing lane, as you say, for slow moving vehicles. Slow moving vehicles does not mean those who adhere to the speed limit.
    The climbing lane is not provided for overtaking and it is an offence to do so.
    Rant over!
    Anyway this is off topic so I will not comment further.

I prefer the Blacklion/Southern Cross route to the Delgany option although delays can occur at school times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

I always use the Farrankelly Rd. It's a bit longer but safer and probably quicker.

Advertisement