Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a set up for flying

Options
  • 27-11-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

so slowly but surely i'm getting my PC set up (SSD being installed this weekend!) just missing one final piece.

i want a joystick or similer for flying (helis mainly) what would people recommend?

I've been using keyboard for now but to say its not going well is an understatment and using the mouse just doesn't feel right.

Hence my current question, what do you suggest? is it even worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

danniemcq wrote: »
    so slowly but surely i'm getting my PC set up (SSD being installed this weekend!) just missing one final piece.

i want a joystick or similer for flying (helis mainly) what would people recommend?

I've been using keyboard for now but to say its not going well is an understatment and using the mouse just doesn't feel right.

Hence my current question, what do you suggest? is it even worth it?

(I assume this is for BF3)

I tried a joystick set up and it was not very effective, was using the cyborg fly stick and bf3 just had too many issues to make it compatible with the joystick, even when I got it working I still had issues with the joystick interfering with my infantry play.

If you dont like the feel of the mouse then try a wired 360 controller it's not perfect but much more compatible with bf3. It's very comfortable and rarely gets in the way of playing (though it might be best to turn vibrate off as it will make a racket when you get shot.)

It controls the jets perfectly well, though you'll never be on the same level as those who have perfected mouse control. The advantage though is with both jets and helicopters it has a much easier learning curve so it's easier not to lose control until you get use to the game and might want to move back to mouse/keyboard control.

Another option is to pick up a mouse with dpi sensitivity control (again I have the cyborg rat 3 which is the cheap gaming mouse entry) as this allows you to adjust the jets response to mouse movement making them a bit easier to control and also allowing you to pull off very tight turns when needed (quickly *up* the sensitivity pull the mouse in direction needed, then drop it back down).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Keyboard/mouse is your best bet. Bind pitch up and pitch down to buttons on your mouse if you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

joystick all the way :D
    You really feel part of the jet when you're flying with a joystick and makes it all look so realistic.
    Any of the latest logitech wingmans will work fine..myself I use a 7 year old Microsoft Force Feedback Sidewinder 2 (built like a brick and the best joystick ever made)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (the reason is it has a TWIST , which a lot of joysticks didn't come with, which is used for YAW )

I am/was a jet/chopper whore of the highest order in BF2 and BF3, trust me on this :D

I think I had a total of 500hrs combined , just in the Air :P

Also, the Joystick is used in conjunction with your keyboard, like a mouse/keyboard.
    It's better to use both, and have certain stuff configured to your keyboard.

Throttle is best used via Keyboard, having your joystick set in a neutral position, this is great for choppers because they will just hover, I have mine slightly below halfway so it will lose height very slowly, this way I can tap the throttle and pull of certain manouvers.
    Yaw is also used on keyboard, as well as joystick. Because its a strange movement on the wrist if you want to yaw right whilst banking left

Advertisement