Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Radio

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

That radio should be fine.

I found them very good and have bought two of them.

They are not well made though so no good for anyone all thumbs. I've them set up for my wife and we try not to touch it once working, receiving mass should be fine, the antenna extends which helps.

If however, you are not getting a satisfactory signal with this, and be advised that it is extremely sensitive and the mode selector works but not necessarily on the mark, but it does work and if it's not I'd not advise spending any money as you can be in a bad reception area and millions of Euro might not fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

gbee wrote: »
    That radio should be fine.

I found them very good and have bought two of them.

They are not well made though so no good for anyone all thumbs. I've them set up for my wife and we try not to touch it once working, receiving mass should be fine, the antenna extends which helps.

If however, you are not getting a satisfactory signal with this, and be advised that it is extremely sensitive and the mode selector works but not necessarily on the mark, but it does work and if it's not I'd not advise spending any money as you can be in a bad reception area and millions of Euro might not fix it.

The last part is a good point! I'd rather not spend a lot if it turns out that there is not just a good signal in the house!

I suppose the only way to do it would be to find someone who could loan me on for a couple of days? Or maybe buy one that has a good return policy (i.e. can return it even after using it)

Suggestions? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

i had a midland am fm cb before and i used to pick up mass on ch 7/9

i was told it came from maynooth, maybe theyve got a big mast there as i just had it on the car, and im half an hour from maynooth,
    cant remember now whether that was am/fm though,
    still, im sure someone could test it out,
    i picked it up in the evenings around 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

any update? have a look here as well http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otherelectronics/4483047 might be the answer for you

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Wotty

The mast in Maynooth probably had a really big ariel and an good afterburner to be able to copy them in your car at that distance!

• Advertisement

Wotty wrote: »
    The mast in Maynooth probably had a really big ariel and an good afterburner to be able to copy them in your car at that distance!

whats an afterburner?
    is that like a repeater or something along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭zg3409

It's slang for an amplifier to make the power out of the transmitter higher. They are illegal, but most mass broadcast systems use them to increase the range. Irish Churches can be heard all over the world, and I have had complaints from itallians of mass blocking out their conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Wotty

Tow, that's a nice powerful afterburner!

Goldenwonder, Zetagi make some really good ones with one valve in them. They also make some very good ones for use in your car. You can even get ones that boost your incomming signal if it is a bit weak or your ariel is a bit poor.

With an afterburner you can talk some very long distances and ragchew with a lot of alfa tango station which are all over the world. They even will send you a postcard sometimes if you give them you address, which is nice!

Without an afterburner you can still sometimes talk some long distances but its much more reliable with the afterburner and sometimes the booster for the incomming signal.

Nothing better than sitting in the armchair in front of the fire and having a copy with breakers from everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Tow

In my day (God I sound old), we just called them linear amplifiers or burners because they ran hot. I think I still have a 80W somewhere, I wonder if the local parish priest is interested.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

thatd be handy for the car if it allows you to sacrifice antenna size.
    sounds like youd need a fan or something to cool it.
    I think ive heard of them as linear amps, sorry,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Wotty wrote: »
    Zetagi

really good
    wow. never thought I'd see those words in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

Churches transmitting masses on VHF logged in the midwest of the country recently:

Ennis Cathedral, Co. Clare - 106.4 MHz
    Kilteely, east Co. Limerick - 106.5 MHz

Antenna wrote: »
    Ennis Cathedral, Co. Clare - 106.4 MHz

I see a mention of it here:
    http://www.ennisparish.com/publications/newsletter/13th_December_2009[2009-12-10].pdf
    Parish Radio:The Parish Radio broadcast was off the air last week due to fault. All the Liturgies from the Cathedral are once again broadcast. Apologies for inconvenience

and according to this they spent €9,000+ on the system:

http://www.ennisparish.com/publications/newsletter_quarterly/Parish_Link_Easter_2008[2009-11-17].pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

zg3409 wrote: »

9k - what the feck did they buy. A D&M 2kilowatt TX ?

FM ? These guys need to be told that they are not above the law. How many years ago were they told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

zg3409 wrote: »
    and according to this they spent €9,000+ on the system:

I think they were previously on a 27MHz setup before moving to VHF! I suspect much of that sum of money was probably the supply of free multiband radios to people that required them to receive the previous 27MHz transmissions. Apparently a number of churches in the West of Ireland moved from 27MHz systems to VHF in recent years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In Tullylease, Co. Cork today, I noticed FM transmissions of mass on the following frequencies

106.2MHz - stereo, after 11am
    106.4 - mono - before 11am
    108.0 - very weak, before 11am

Got no idea where they're from as I got no ID unfortuantely, but up there you can get quite a good few stations

marno21 wrote: »
    108.0 - very weak, before 11am
    Got no idea where they're from as I got no ID unfortuantely,

It might be tuam:
    http://tuamparish.com/information/parish-radio

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Unless it's high enough power, I don't think so. Clare FM from Killaloe doesn't have RDS so double the distance I'd doubt it.

One of them could've been Ennis but again distance is an issue, I'd more imagine Co. Limerick or more likely Central/East North Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mojo_Scot

Hi folks,
    I know I'm very late to your discussion but I wondered if you could advise me on how I could get to listen to Mass said in Randalstown?
    It might not seem like a big issue but I live in Kilwinning Scotland....

Someone mentioned earlier in the discussion that if you knew which church you could find the channel / frequency. Is this still the case?

Another question which might well be a stpid one but I'm going to ask anyway... Can you listen to long wave or cb radio on the internet???

Many thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TomasH

http://www.mcnmedia.tv/county/northern-ireland/ Have a list of web cam ones if that helps.

Thanks TomasH, but they are not that advanced yet.
    It's supposed to be for the sick and housebound but there's a specific preacher I'd like to hear.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Mojo_Scot wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I know I'm very late to your discussion but I wondered if you could advise me on how I could get to listen to Mass said in Randalstown?
    It might not seem like a big issue but I live in Kilwinning Scotland....

Someone mentioned earlier in the discussion that if you knew which church you could find the channel / frequency. Is this still the case?

Another question which might well be a stpid one but I'm going to ask anyway... Can you listen to long wave or cb radio on the internet???

Many thanks in advance

I haven't seen a list of NI church frequencies.
    I think Ofcom call them CADS. Community Audio Distrbution Service, using the CB band.
    Harri here lists all stations he has received and the frequency but I don't see Randalstown.
    http://www.parishradio.harriku.com/mycollection.htm

There is an online receiver in NI on the Global Tuners site but it only goes up to 20 MHz. It does cover LW.

Thank :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mriya

Buy an rtl-sdr receiver - it allows you to receive quite a wide spectre of frequencies (including CB channels).

Advertisement