Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Connection rip-off

Options
  • 27-11-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I bought a coat recently in FC Dundrum. Huge price difference between UK and ROI prices. This coat is £175 (€217) in the UK stores while it retails in Dundrum for €260:

http://www.frenchconnection.com/product/Man+Collections+Coats+And+Jackets/504Z3/Restrain+Wool+Military+Coat.htm

I asked for a discount at the till and got it for €221 which is reasonably close. But their ROI pricing is such a rip-off.

They seem to be using an exchange rate of around 1.5 which hasn't been anywhere near that for many many years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kelzer wrote: »
    They seem to be using an exchange rate of around 1.5 which hasn't been anywhere near that for many many years.
    They are not using an exchange rate -but you seem to be, it seems to be XE's rate which nobody can get.

Any manager in an international company that simply set prices based on XE rates would be committed to a lunatic asylum fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urbane4u

coat for €221..hmm, you seem to be doing well :).
    On a different note, there is a offer going on:

http://www.blanchardstowncentre.ie/news/?nID=395

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

€40 off for no reason? That is crazy for a shop that's obviously not doing well. Not that there is anything wrong per se with asking for a discount, I am moreso surprised. Worth bearing in mind at all times over mental exchange rates, of which there are many culprits, that the prices are set usually in the UK and nobody in the shop has any control or say. Many shops would outright refuse discounts also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i'd say it was anything but a rip-off you got there, a proper bargain more like, with the cost of living here compared to uk etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

Yeah was surprised I got a discount. She said she'd give me the student discount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

probably about 10% over the UK price - not the worst (check debenhams)

Bank exchange rate is about 1.265 at present, vat is 3% higher. Staff wages are about 30% higher. (about 15% of a retailer.s cost) commercial rates are more than twice the UK level.

Basically if you were doing the same job in the UK as you do here, you would have to work longer to earn the after tax amount to buy that coat there than what length of time you work here. (otherwise known as the big Mac index by the Economist magazine)

Advertisement