Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardened steel screws?

• 27-11-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'd appreciate some help for the following...

I have an old style city bike that is quite heavy (about 19kg). The bike stand is attached by two screws (to the best of my knowledge, they're M5 x 20 BZP). The problem is that the screw material simply isn't strong enough and with time the screws bend under the weight of the bike rendering the stand useless.

Is there a stronger material screw that I could use? Like hardened steel or something even stronger? So far I've tried steel screws (I think stainless). I'd really appreciate a link to any options, I'm finding searching for screws very difficult :o

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get some grade 8 socket head cap screws, and loctite them in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Call into these guy's they will have what you need http://www.allmetalfasteners.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi all,

I'd appreciate some help for the following...

I have an old style city bike that is quite heavy (about 19kg). The bike stand is attached by two screws (to the best of my knowledge, they're M5 x 20 BZP). The problem is that the screw material simply isn't strong enough and with time the screws bend under the weight of the bike rendering the stand useless.

Is there a stronger material screw that I could use? Like hardened steel or something even stronger? So far I've tried steel screws (I think stainless). I'd really appreciate a link to any options, I'm finding searching for screws very difficult :o

Thanks!

M8 anchor bolts or galvanized concrete screws from any builders providers.

Drill a hole in the wall,tap in the anchor bolt,and then screw in the hex head bolt with a ratchet and socket.

Same with the concrete screw,drill a hole,and then use a ratchet and socket to screw the concrete crews into the hole.

The screw cuts its own grooves in the hole of the concrete,and will not come loose.:)

This will hold any amount of weight up on a wall

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Cheers lads, I'll give the above a shot.

Advertisement