Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Putting on weight

• 27-11-2012 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

I have always been thin, but it has got much worse recently when I was in hospital I lost close to 2 stone in a few weeks. I've been trying to put on weight but its a slow process. I am 20 and now weigh just under 9 stone. I am 5' 10"

The problem is I find it very difficult to eat so foods that 'go down easy' would be really helpful. If anyone has any tips it would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You could try drinking milk. An extra 2L a day will increase your calories by about ~650 which should help with the process. 1 Pint at Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Night. Pretty easy way to get in the extra kcal's.

Are you lifting weights or doing any resistance exercise? If not then the majority of the weight you put on will be fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

eggs are wonderful.
    seperate them and eat the whites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    eggs are wonderful.
    Not eating the yokes makes no sense, especially when trying to put on weight.
    Whites on there own won't contribute much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Mellor wrote: »
    Not eating the yokes makes no sense, especially when trying to put on weight.
    Whites on there own won't contribute much.

protein?
    I'll bow to your superior knowledge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

protein?
    I'll bow to your superior knowledge
    The white is basically only protein, and it does have more protein than the yoke. But only 1g more in a large egg.
    The yoke also has lots of vitamins and the extra calories - very important for weight gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Sweet potatoes!!! I eat a kilo of these at a time and still want more after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Why in God's name would you want to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Some peanut butter licked off a spoon maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

cosmic wrote: »
    Some peanut butter licked off a spoon maybe?

mmmmm peanut butter, I put it on everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Thanks for the advice. I'll stock up on eggs, milk and peanut butter. I've heard nuts are good aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I'll stock up on eggs, milk and peanut butter. I've heard nuts are good aswell?

Yeah nuts are great. I always buy bags of whole almonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

OPTIMUM NUTRITION PRO COMPLEX GAINER. good stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

I'm in the same boat O.P. I am 5ft 6' and weight 8st. I have done from the age of 16.

I work in the hospitality Industry and have found in the past that I tend to skip meals dues to always being on the run. I know I have got into a bad habit of going without food and then eating loads when I am not at work. I was also not eating the right things.

So, this year I decided to get myself together and sort myself out.

An example of my diet now would be:

Breakfast -

2 poached eggs
    2 slices of wholemeal bread
    1 high fibre yoghurt
    1 banana
    1 weight gain shake

Lunch-

1 tin of tuna
    1 large baked potato
    1 apple
    1 pint of milk

Dinner-

2 grilled chicken fillets
    wholegrain pasta
    3 servings of veg

Snack-

peanut butter sandwiches on wholemeal bread
    nuts

I also go to the gym 6 times a week and will take another shake after my session.

I'm finding it pretty tough to eat everything I assign myself but I'm forcing myself to get it all down. I have only been doing this for two weeks and have already put on half a stone. I'm no expert in this field so I might be doing this all wrong but we'll see as time goes on. Good luck with the weight gain!

Advertisement