Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Advice

Options
  • 27-11-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Its been a few years since my last upgrade and planning over December/January to get a little more up to speed. Currently I have a Q6600, 4GB DDR2 and GTX260, so the plan is for CPU/MB/RAM/Graphics upgrade.

1. What is your budget? [€600 (may push to 650/700 depending)]
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Standard use, Video Editing, Gaming - depends on the day of the week, I would prefer to have the ability to play any game, doesn't have to be always at High settings, but would be nice]
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Yes, will be keeping the case (CM Stacker), 5 HDD's, regular fans]
    5. Do you need a monitor? [No]
    5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [22inch widescreen LG HD] [1920x1080] [No]
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]
    8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card]
    9. When are you purchasing? [over next 2 months]

So far this is what I am looking at:

item|cost|
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€209.08|
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9|€35.93|
    ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP, Sockel 1155, ATX|€79.79|
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€89.24|
    Shipping|€18.99|
    Total|€433.03

So where I am a bit stuck is with the graphics card. I was thinking about Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 2GB for €182.69 which would keep me on budget.

I also want to keep the HDD in there as I am running low on some space, would prefer the 3TB but it pushes the budget too much. Would also love an SSD but again, budget. The reason there is no aftermarker cooler as of yet, is all depending on budget, so opinions welcome, but might not get it this time round. So any opinons out there how I might get the best bang for buck here?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The Sapphire is out for stock, with no due back date so maybe the MSI instead for nearly the same price. I am pretty sure you get a extra year warranty with MSI as well (3 rather than 2)

A HD7850 would be fine for playing just about anything you can throw at it at that resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Cheers marco_polo, I guessed that was my best option. On the availaibility, there were a few when I posted. Will keep the MSI in mind.

Advertisement