Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom wont enable my line

Options
  • 27-11-2012 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi

I recently moved into a new house which previously had a phone installed but had been cancelled so there is a physical line coming into the house.
    Now I have ordered a broadband package from vodafone but after giving them the address they informed me that they were unable to connect it and that someone from eircom would have to call out and look at the line. An appointment was made but was cancelled at the last min by eircom. Now vodafone are telling me that eircom have informed them that they 'have no cable in the area' and that it will be February 14th 2013 before they will be able connect me. Now this is a load of ****. Both houses either side of me have a working landline (1 eircom, 1 vodafone) and I know the line is comin into my house it just needs to be enabled. Why are eircom refusing to enable the line and fobbing me off with an obviously false statement about cables???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

have you a dialtone and what happens if you dial 199000

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    have you a dialtone and what happens if you dial 199000

Hey spongebob

Just borrowed the neighbours phone there and ya dialtone there and that number gave me the line no. thanks. In fact I was able to dial another eircom line ok but not my mobile so looks as if the previous owner never canceled her eircom a/c and thats why vodafone couldn't activate it.

Have got back onto vodafone now and am waiting for a callback. So it defo looks like it was a bull**** couldn't be bothered answer from eircom.

You can't expect eircom or vodafone to cease service on a line when a contract is live with another person. Nor do you have the account number for that line.

Hopefully the previous customer have cancelled ( not done a runner) and eircom can release the line fully ....the old number accurately identifies the line to be reactiveatad.

If it is able to make a call there may be broadband on it as well so plug in a modem and see. Then when the DSL goes you know the line is finally cancelled, innit. :)

Ok so I plugged in an eircom modem but unfortunately no broadband so looks like the previous owner only had a phone package. Is there any way I can get Eircom to release the line? Surely they dont want me to have free phonecalls for however long? I mean I dont want the calls only broadband and even by going with vodafone they are still going to get the line rental.

See if Vodafone can provision a new service on the line, now you know the old number.

If not, like I said, the line may be in contract and with mobile calls blocked too which explains everything.

The eircom reps are in a bind. If say the line is in contract with vodafone they should recognise the number if it is one of their customers and may be able to help.

Run the number through this line checker to see if BB is provisionable > www.homevision.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Pete2k wrote: »
    Hey spongebob

Just borrowed the neighbours phone there and ya dialtone there and that number gave me the line no. thanks. In fact I was able to dial another eircom line ok but not my mobile so looks as if the previous owner never canceled her eircom a/c and thats why vodafone couldn't activate it.

Have got back onto vodafone now and am waiting for a callback. So it defo looks like it was a bull**** couldn't be bothered answer from eircom.

Hi Pete2k
    we would not be able to provide much information on this without the account number but if yu want to PM me the line number you recovered ( thanks to Sponge Bob's advice) I'll see what we can do..
    Tony

Hi Tony. PM Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Pete2k wrote: »
    Hi Tony. PM Sent.

We moved into a new house in October where the previous tenant did a runner and didn't pay any of their bills or cancel any of their utilities. We contacted eircom to arrange broadband and once we were able to email them a scan of the signed lease with all the details on it they cancelled the previous tenants account and signed us up. Even though we were signing up with Eircom they couldn't be bothered doing anything when they said they would and we had to call back several times to progress the issue but we got sorted in the end

We moved into a new house in October where the previous tenant did a runner and didn't pay any of their bills or cancel any of their utilities. We contacted eircom to arrange broadband and once we were able to email them a scan of the signed lease with all the details on it they cancelled the previous tenants account and signed us up. Even though we were signing up with Eircom they couldn't be bothered doing anything when they said they would and we had to call back several times to progress the issue but we got sorted in the end

Hi angeldelight
    Thanks for the advice, it just goes to show they are well able to cancel a previous a/c and release the line if they are pushed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

We had exactly the same issue. Eircom wanted a scanned copy of our lease agreement. Luckily UPC knocked on my door that week, so never bothered with Eircom landline at that address.

• Advertisement

I can't blame eircom for this, so many chancers have done a runner over the years that they need to confirm that you ARE new tenants not the old lot pretending to be new. The lease proves a new tenancy is in place and that the old 'contract' is irrelevant.

@eircomTony

I am now the legal owner of the house and can provide a letter from my solicitor stating this. Would this be enough for eircom to release the line or what else would you require?

If you have a solicitors letter showing the "closing date" that would help too Pete. Tony is an eminently sensible chap when he gets a bit of help. :)

If you have a solicitors letter showing the "closing date" that would help too Pete. Tony is an eminently sensible chap when he gets a bit of help. :)

Thanks again for all your advice Spongebob.

Ok Tony I have a letter here scanned which is dated Nov. 2nd from my solicitor which states that they have applied on my behalf to the Property Registration Authority for me to become the registered owner. Is this good enough and if so what email address can I send it to you on?

Take it to PMs Pete. :)

Take it to PMs Pete. :)

PM sent to tony since yesterday but still waiting for a response. Tony i see uv logged on here today so any update?

Still waiting for an update guys. And just so yere aware yesterday i got an automated call from eircom which was for the previous owner. It stated their bill was now due along with other personal info so by not doing anything you are knowingly allowing me access to one of your customers personal details. Surely it is in your interests to expedite this matter, what if the previous owner made a complaint for breach of data protection? Cmon guys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Pete2K

I have looked into this for you using the details sent via PM to Tony. I can confirm that there is indeed an active account at this premises. I have also contacted the account holder of this account to advise them on the charges they are occurring through line rental and that this is making it difficult for you to get a line but they have informed me that they do not wish to discuss the cancelation of this account and have requested for us not to call back again.

Unfortunately at this time we cannot close down an account without the account holders instruction or request. My best advice is to contact the account holder to discuss this further and if this cannot be agreed you also have the option of getting a new line to this premises.
    I do apologise that I cannot be more helpful regarding this issue but i would also like to advise you not to supply any account information to people you do not know over Boards.ie

Regards

Al

Hi Alan

Thanks for the update, knowing what I do of the account holder their attitude doesn't surprise me.

however as it happens one of your tech guys called out this morning and said he could set up a new line for me. So I now have a new number but its still the same physical line coming into the house. Given I have a new number now I assume I can set up a new account even tho the previous owner still has an active account at this address?

Hi Pete2k

It seems that yes you have a new account if you have a new working line but I cannot be sure of this unless you PM me the number and i shall get straight back to you?

Regards

Al

• Advertisement

Hi Pete2K

I have looked into this for you using the details sent via PM to Tony. I can confirm that there is indeed an active account at this premises. I have also contacted the account holder of this account to advise them on the charges they are occurring through line rental and that this is making it difficult for you to get a line but they have informed me that they do not wish to discuss the cancelation of this account and have requested for us not to call back again.

Unfortunately at this time we cannot close down an account without the account holders instruction or request. My best advice is to contact the account holder to discuss this further and if this cannot be agreed you also have the option of getting a new line to this premises.
    I do apologise that I cannot be more helpful regarding this issue but i would also like to advise you not to supply any account information to people you do not know over Boards.ie

Regards

Al

This is interesting - how were you able to do it in our case? If this is genuinely something that should not have been done I would be extremely interested in hearing how we currently have an eircom account...

Hi Alan

PM sent.

This is interesting - how were you able to do it in our case?

Read Post #4 Pete, if the previous account holder is being an asshole you may as well increase their final bill for them.

Read Post #4

When we rang Eircom first they told us the previous occupant hadn't cancelled account so we would need to contact them and ask them to do that first. We said we couldn't as they had done a runner and hasn't left any forwarding details so they said ok a signed copy of the lease would suffice...

Read Post #4 Pete, if the previous account holder is being an asshole you may as well increase their final bill for them.

Hey spongebob
    Ya trust me I was seriously tempted to ring up one of the babe station channels and leave it on for a good hour or more. Mite have made her think twice about being such a gob****e. Like who on earth would continue paying for a phone that they no longer have access to. No other reason than pure spite... Hopefully now theres a new no. this will be the end of it...

Hi Pete2k

PM sent

Regards

Al

Advertisement