Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian 2nd work visa queries.

Options
  • 27-11-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I went to Australia in 2009 for 3 months and had to come home early from my 1 year working holiday visa for personal reasons. I emailed the embassy and asked if i could continue my visa at a later date but they said I cant. My girlfriend is going to Oz early next year and I'd like to join her for the year and work. Does anyone know how I can obtain a 2nd year visa. From what I heard you have to carry out 3 months fruit picking/farm work to be granted the 2nd year visa. As I am currently outside of Australia, how is this possible? I have a friend over there who runs his own company, can he sponsor me for a visa? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 eoindoyle_syd

clearodara wrote: »
    Hi,
    I went to Australia in 2009 for 3 months and had to come home early from my 1 year working holiday visa for personal reasons. I emailed the embassy and asked if i could continue my visa at a later date but they said I cant. My girlfriend is going to Oz early next year and I'd like to join her for the year and work. Does anyone know how I can obtain a 2nd year visa. From what I heard you have to carry out 3 months fruit picking/farm work to be granted the 2nd year visa. As I am currently outside of Australia, how is this possible? I have a friend over there who runs his own company, can he sponsor me for a visa? Any help would be greatly appreciated

You cannot get a second working holiday visa. It is only possible if you did seasonal (farm) work on your 1st work holiday.

You can travel on an ETA visitor (3 months, no work) or a Tourist Visa (up to 12 months, no work, likely you would need good savings)
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676

If you wish to work, a student visa would be a possibility and you can work 20hrs per week and attend a vocational course (from as little as 2 days per week for a CERT III or IV). Courses are quite expensive however.

Your friend could sponsor you on a 457 visa....IF you have the skills and suitable occupation. This route is expensive and you will probably need a trade and uni qualification.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

Could also consider a NZ working holiday. Amazing country and easier to travel around than OZ. Wages are relatively poor however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You should do a search on boards as this exact scenario seems to crop up at least every 2 months, same as for your friend sponsoring if his company meets the criteria to be able to sponsor, the job meets the criteria and you meet the criteria it's possible. It's all explained in earlier threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod As the guys said, all this info is available if you search. Your friend can't just sponsor you, he needs to meet a big criteria list before he can even sponsor anyone.
    the student visa will cost ya in the region of 6k a year.

I'll leave this open, but suggest you do a search and read the stickys

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Your friend could sponsor you on a 457 visa....IF you have the skills and suitable occupation. This route is expensive and you will probably need a trade and uni qualification.
    A 457 isn't expensive. It's a few hundred.
    On a Cost/Time basis its even cheaper than a WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 eoindoyle_syd

Mellor wrote: »
    A 457 isn't expensive. It's a few hundred.
    On a Cost/Time basis its even cheaper than a WHV.

I guess the 457 doesn't have to be expensive in the right situation.......but it can be! Minimum application fees are $855 + agent fees of $3000+ (if you use one) = potentially $4000+

That $4000+ visa lasted me a brief 10 months! So from personal experience it was quite expensive (thought company did pay agent fees).

I get the point though. A lot cheaper than PR visa.
    OP/ Clearodara
    Here's a link to the FAQ section fyi:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170937

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

.....agent fees of $3000+

:eek::eek:

457 is very simple and they can charge that???

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I guess the 457 doesn't have to be expensive in the right situation.......but it can be! Minimum application fees are $855 + agent fees of $3000+ (if you use one) = potentially $4000+
    That $4000+ visa lasted me a brief 10 months! So from personal experience it was quite expensive (thought company did pay agent fees).

I get the point though. A lot cheaper than PR visa.
    The visa fee is $350. That's for up to 4 years. Per year a lot cheaper than a WHV.
    The other fees are supposed to be for the company, not for you. Even if you offer to pay the $855 its still cheaper than a WHV per year. In terms of value for money, I think its probably the best visa. Expensive is the last way I'd describe it.

There's no reason to choose to get an agent.
    If the company insist, then they should pay imo. They can be had for less than $3k.

It's unfortunate that you only had 10 months on it, whatever the reason. But that's not really to do with the value of a 457. If somebody goes home on a WHV after a month, it doesn't mean that it's an expensive visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Are you entitled to British passport, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Cat see why that would make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Can someone link that Border Security footage where the Irishman travelling with his brother and friend gets kicked out because he had already been to Oz on an Irish Passport then thought he would be "Super Smart" and try it on the British passport, I'm to lazy to look for it.

I love the line "It's my brothers first time away from home " like he is the village idiot who needs someone to hold his hand :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement