Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Taoism say about the world being an illusion?

Options
  • 27-11-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭

What does Taoism say about the world being an illusion?

I am exploring if the Taoist belief system is close to that of Buddhism or "A Course In Miracles" which do hold this physical world to be an illusion.

Your help in researching the question would be helpful and very much appreciated.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭strawdog

I'm by no means an expert on Taoism, it's something I've just had a passing interest in over the years. My understanding is that it doesn't really compare with the Buddhist idea of the world being illusion or maya. Again my limited understanding is that in Buddhism this illusion is something that must be circumvented or transcended through methods such as meditation and concentration in order to find a true self (which is a kind of lack of self).

The closest similarity in Taoism is perhaps in Chuang Tzu who sees the world as having dream like properties (probably the most famous illustration being the story of dreaming he is a butterfly - am i Chuang Tzu dreaming I'm a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming I'm Chuang Tzu). The crucial difference as I see it is that Chuang Tzu sees this dream-like quality in life as something that can't be avoided and should be flowed along with. Its not something to transcend. Buddhism seems to suggest withdrawal from the dream or illusion, then perhaps only after enlightenment returning to the world as bodhisattva, ie half in, half out.

More generally I see Taoism as being more accepting of illusion as it sees it as part of human nature and ultimately in Taoism, nature is what should be accorded with. Don't know if that's any help, I'm sure google can give a more comprehensive and academic answers!

Advertisement