Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help, very strange bb speed problem, possibly software related

Options
  • 27-11-2012 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

If the problem wasn't with my own PC I'd happily put this down to user error, its a bit all over the place sorry, alot of it seems inconsistent, irrelevant or wrong, but I have no answers, I haven't installed anything and have killed processes one by one. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be thankfull.

I am running win 7 64 bit, have 3Mb Broadband, connected wirelessly but have changed routers, reinstalled network card drivers and graphics card drivers (nvidia gtx 580), no other machines affected.

To check the speed I use a rainmeter gadget, but makes no difference if rainmeter is running.

Downloads - Doesn't matter if its a file in a browser, utorrent, jdownloader, steam or speedtest.net.

So everything now downloads at 20 to 80 kbs instead of 300 kbs, but the speed goes up to 300 (normal) if certain things are maximised/full screen e.g. steam, vlc, the screensaver or hovering over the show desktop button. If other things like itunes or a normal explorer window are maximised then speed stays slow. If vlc is running (and the active window) but not maximised then speed stays slow, if screen is turned off then speed stays slow.

This happens for all traffic, when loading a webpage I hover over the show desktop button and stop when the speed hits 0, otherwise it takes ages. Youtube is very slow to load but vids buffer fine.

I hope I've explained clearly, at a total loss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

If the problem wasn't with my own PC I'd happily put this down to user error, its a bit all over the place sorry, alot of it seems inconsistent, irrelevant or wrong, but I have no answers, I haven't installed anything and have killed processes one by one. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be thankfull.

I am running win 7 64 bit, have 3Mb Broadband, connected wirelessly but have changed routers, reinstalled network card drivers and graphics card drivers (nvidia gtx 580), no other machines affected.

To check the speed I use a rainmeter gadget, but makes no difference if rainmeter is running.

Downloads - Doesn't matter if its a file in a browser, utorrent, jdownloader, steam or speedtest.net.

So everything now downloads at 20 to 80 kbs instead of 300 kbs, but the speed goes up to 300 (normal) if certain things are maximised/full screen e.g. steam, vlc, the screensaver or hovering over the show desktop button. If other things like itunes or a normal explorer window are maximised then speed stays slow. If vlc is running (and the active window) but not maximised then speed stays slow, if screen is turned off then speed stays slow.

This happens for all traffic, when loading a webpage I hover over the show desktop button and stop when the speed hits 0, otherwise it takes ages. Youtube is very slow to load but vids buffer fine.

I hope I've explained clearly, at a total loss.

did you check all your dsl filters are fitted right and are working?

do you have a skybox plugged into the phoneline without a dsl filter on it? a skybox with no filter on it will screw up your line speeds... the gf had her skybox plugged in with no filter and the best speeds she got was 4mb/s after i put a filter on it she gets 8mb/s (which is what she is paying for)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

did you check all your dsl filters are fitted right and are working?

do you have a skybox plugged into the phoneline without a dsl filter on it? a skybox with no filter on it will screw up your line speeds... the gf had her skybox plugged in with no filter and the best speeds she got was 4mb/s after i put a filter on it she gets 8mb/s (which is what she is paying for)

Thanks for the reply, I think maybe I wasn't clear in the op. Phoneline is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

What speed do you get when downloading a big file from ftp.heanet.ie?
    That's the real life speed test.

Test here - the file is over a 1GB

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

I put in a new wireless card, which has sorted it! No idea what was going on with the fullscreen stuff. Thanks anyway.

Advertisement