Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Eve Thurles

Options
  • 27-11-2012 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Thinking of heading down there for New Years - something random. Can any locals tell me if there will be any pubs / clubs throwing parties? cheers

Comments

Moved from After Hours
    Tipperary forum now applies, please read before posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Any Tipp folk out there who can pursuade me and friends to come down and spend some cash in the local economy?

Comordha wrote: »
    Any Tipp folk out there who can pursuade me and friends to come down and spend some cash in the local economy?

Have only been to Thurles once or twice in the last few years but just off the square on Parnell St, you have Lar Corbetts @ Coppingers, Noel Ryans and Jim Kennedy's is a good spot as well (Probably the best of those 3 when it has a good crowd).

On the square you have the County bar. In terms of niteclubs, Hayes is all thats there afaik thats worth venturing to. Not sure if the old Dwans brewery on the Slievenamon road is anything these days but that was an alright spot in its time.

Ive always had a good night out in Thurles tbh but there is a few places on the square that can be dodge afaik.

Hope you enjoy it anyhow. Maybe you could also ask in the Tippinst forum in the boards Education section. Few students might give you pointers although granted most go home for the weekends where towns can look a whole lot different in their absense

That's enough for me. Sounds like quite a few pubs and a square, sure that's all one needs for New Years. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Thurles has the same share or scrotes that every place has ... but they are fairly easy to spot with the white socks over the bottom of the trackies, Oh and the fact they are outside on the street when everyone else is inside as they are barred from everywhere.

Aside from those, Thurles can be a good place for a night out.

On New Years Eve just about any of the places mentioned above, plus The Arch Bar on the Square, should be worth a visit.

Enjoy.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

Mickey Bowes best pub in Thurles. Quiet during the day but at night is great craic

Cheers lads, appreciate all the tips. Was down in Corbett's bar a few months back and had a great old night upstairs. Thurles is a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

Jim Kennedy's in Parnell Street has lost its late licence. There used to be live music there until after 1 o' clock at the weekends and the place was hopping but I heard it's gone quiet for the past few weeks.
    The Brewery/HQ nightclub just off the Square on Slievenamon Road has apparently reopened under new management - I saw a bouncer outside the door when I drove past last night. I never liked the place and you would need a massive crowd to fill it and generate a bit of craic.
    Rumour has it Lar Corbett is reopening the pub beside Supermacs (was last open as Chancers Bar) which has been shut for a couple of years, but as he is on honeymoon that's not likely to happen before NYE. I would avoid Lar Corbett's @ Coppingers, not a nice place.
    The Castle Tavern, The Arch Bar, The County Bar and Skehans, all on the Square, are decent pubs but quieter and apart from The County would have an older clientel.
    Thurles is like any town of its size. There will be a crowd around on NYE but Dec 31st is always hit and miss no matter where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Jim Kennedy's in Parnell Street has lost its late licence. There used to be live music there until after 1 o' clock at the weekends and the place was hopping but I heard it's gone quiet for the past few weeks.

It appealed and got its late licence back, should be one of the better spots over christmas.

Well the day has arrived.

We expect an update bright and early tomorrow.

:D

• Advertisement

A great night was had. Sampled almost all the bars listed. Also had a delicious Indian on the Cork Road just off the square. Went to Corbett's bar then after New Years rang through. Got a few snaps taken with himself and Noel McGrath, sound lads. Walked around the corner then to some place that was open late, think it was called Kennedy's. Back to the Anner Hotel then for the residents bar. One thing though, Thurles needs more taxis.

A great night was had. Sampled almost all the bars listed. Also had a delicious Indian on the Cork Road just off the square. Went to Corbett's bar then after New Years rang through. Got a few snaps taken with himself and Noel McGrath, sound lads. Walked around the corner then to some place that was open late, think it was called Kennedy's. Back to the Anner Hotel then for the residents bar. One thing though, Thurles needs more taxis.

Good to hear you had a good night. What indian did you visit? I know Shimla on Friar St does cracking food normally

..... What indian did you visit? .....
    ..... Also had a delicious Indian on the Cork Road just off the square.....

That'd be the one on The Mall.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭aca101

Fact....impossible to get taxis in Thurles. Spent 1.5 hours trying to get one on New Years Eve!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

aca101 wrote: »
    Fact....impossible to get taxis in Thurles. Spent 1.5 hours trying to get one on New Years Eve!

You spent 90 minutes on one of the BUSIEST nights of the year looking for a taxi, you got one, but you'd sooner have an extra 2000+ taxis waiting around for the other 364 days just because YOU can't wait for 90 minutes or be bothered to book a taxi....

UN-BE-LIEVABLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Good to hear you had a good night. What indian did you visit? I know Shimla on Friar St does cracking food normally

Sound like Stars of India on Slievenamon Road.
    The Shimla is good but I think the Stars of India is at least as good as any other Indian you will find in Ireland.

Advertisement