Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malnoursihed Puppies

• 27-11-2012 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Ok our family was given to 4 month old puppies that were taken off a bad owner, the thing is even though they are four months old they are tiny as in 5 week old tiny, they are pure labs so they should be alot bigger.
    The reason we were given them is weve always had dogs and generally know how to take care of pups, but these ones have huge bellys and there legs are pushed out making me think they have ricketts.
    has anyone had any experience with this in the past theyd like to share with me, like they have lovely temerpments it would be a shame to have to euthinise them.
    just me personally ive never had anything like this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Have they been treated for worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

As above, a good worming based on bodyweight (or lack of) and whats always worked for us to build up undersize pups is readybrek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

The huge bellys would suggest they have a pretty severe case of worms which would contribute to the lack of body weight.

Best thing to do is take them to the vet who can confirm if it is worms and then start them on a suitable worming treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please bring them to the vet asap!!

They will be able to best guide you and give the best and qualified advice for these puppies. They need serious expert attention by the sounds of things so a vet as soon as you can!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

You definitely need to contact a vet. They will be able to advise you on what you need to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Please OP, take these pups to the vet. Even if it's something as straightforward as a heavy worm burden, you have to be really careful how you go about treating them... Weak pups can die very quickly if not wormed according to the heaviness of their worm burden.
    If they have other problems related to malnutrition, you need a vet to help you. There is absolutely no point in surmising whether they have ricketts, or any other condition: they need to expert help, straight away.
    That notwithstanding, kudos to you for taking them in.

Mod hat on: Because I think this is so important, and that I don't feel this is an apporpriate place to seek help with such ill pups, I'm going to close this thread now, in the hope that you get them all to the vet OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement