Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a shower light

Options
  • 27-11-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I am connecting a shower light and am using the center light in the bathroom to use as my connection and I have run into a problem hope somebody can help me here.
    I will attach a picture and basically in it I have on the left 2 blue (N)which are looped to next light and so on, and in the center a switch wire brown from the switch outside the bathroom, the light that they were connected to is fine and working no problems.
    Now I ran the 2 core and earth from the connector to a transformer connecting the 3 blues and the 2 brown and not connecting the earth as there is no earth connections in the transformer or the center light. The new light is not working after I put it all together but the center light is. I have screwdriver phase tested the new light and the power is coming to it and have tried a couple of different bulbs and still nothing.
    Have I missed something before I start to strip it all back again

Hugh
    IMG_1004.jpg

Comments

hughowen wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I am connecting a shower light and am using the center light in the bathroom to use as my connection and I have run into a problem hope somebody can help me here.
    I will attach a picture and basically in it I have on the left 2 blue (N)which are looped to next light and so on, and in the center a switch wire brown from the switch outside the bathroom, the light that they were connected to is fine and working no problems.
    Now I ran the 2 core and earth from the connector to a transformer connecting the 3 blues and the 2 brown and not connecting the earth as there is no earth connections in the transformer or the center light. The new light is not working after I put it all together but the center light is. I have screwdriver phase tested the new light and the power is coming to it and have tried a couple of different bulbs and still nothing.
    Have I missed something before I start to strip it all back again

Hugh
    IMG_1004.jpg

Can you throw up a picture of the new fitting? Sounds like your wiring is ok but i'd double check the terminations on the old fitting if I were you. Something could have come loose. A normal phase tester will tell you if the brown is live whether a neutral is connected or not. Check the connector block with the 3 neutrals for any sign of a loose connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hughowen

I refitted the old light back on as well as a new light in the shower, checked the 3 blue and they were fine.

I used the connector block and used the wires (L&N) that were going in to the transformer and fitted the light to that end (with the connector in the middle) and the light worked but it seems it won't work going through the transformer for some reason, it is too late,dark now to try any more tests but as long as I know the blue were correct I will work away tomorrow, maybe trying a new transformer or a different light after the transformer

Will let you know tomorrow and post other pics and thanks for help

Hugh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

hughowen wrote: »
    I refitted the old light back on as well as a new light in the shower, checked the 3 blue and they were fine.

I used the connector block and used the wires (L&N) that were going in to the transformer and fitted the light to that end (with the connector in the middle) and the light worked but it seems it won't work going through the transformer for some reason, it is too late,dark now to try any more tests but as long as I know the blue were correct I will work away tomorrow, maybe trying a new transformer or a different light after the transformer

Will let you know tomorrow and post other pics and thanks for help

Hugh

are you sure you connected into primary (input)side of transformer
    simple mistake(although tripswitch should have activated)

other than that check the output connections and make sure you have low voltage bulbs

Definitely connected the input way as it was one of the B&Q easy fits, just to connect the Live and Neutral to one side and the other is already set just to connect the bulbs to the pre wired holders.
    Will put up pictures tomorrow

Hugh

I changed the transformer as I was thinking that it was the problem, but it makes no difference as the light still does not work. I again bypassed the transformer and the light will work, but put back on the transformer it stops again.
    p.s the brown wire with the black tape is a Neutral, I ran a whole new set of wires to the transformer.
    I have almost the same system in another bathroom which I fitted years ago and works no problem with the same config of wires so I am going to take that out and refit it to this bathroom, and if that don't work, time to call the pros

any other ideas ??

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

• Advertisement

make sure bulbholder is ok
    other than that the bulb

you could connect power to transformer and connect bulb directly to transformer(make sure its low voltage side)
    just push the tips of the bulb directly onto transformer connections without actually connecting it to holder

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

First off I recommend that you do not buy this light fittings in B & Q, Woodies or similar "DIY" type outlets. They generally sell overpriced crap. If the item is good quality it is probably available at less than half the price in a proper electrical wholesalers (and yes they will sell to the general public).

However you could put a 13A plug top onto the transformer and simply plug it into a socket. If it works then the light & traffo are good. If not it is a simple process of elimination. Either the traffo, lamp or lamp holder is faulty or the connections are poor.

2011 wrote: »

However you could put a 13A plug top onto the transformer and simply plug it into a socket. If it works then the light & traffo are good. If not it is a simple process of elimination. Either the traffo, lamp or lamp holder is faulty or the connections are poor.

its always the simple solution that gets results
    this is the way op

Okay, my panic is over and the solution was to get a transformer from somewhere else and that worked, the other transformers were not working for some reason. Went back to shop and they tested and agreed with me and refunded me.
    So thanks for helping me, till next time
    Hugh

Advertisement