Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iMac available to buy on November 30th

• 27-11-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Apple just announced that the new iMac (eight generation) announced last month will be available on Friday (November 30th) just making the deadline they gave of 'November'. At first only the 21.5" model will be shipping and the 27" model will be available in December. Probably just making it in time for Christmas I'd say.
    new-imac.jpg

Full details from Apple.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

About time. My five year old imac needs replacing badly. I hope the shipping times aren't too long. Want it before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

jakdublin wrote: »
    About time. My five year old imac needs replacing badly. I hope the shipping times aren't too long. Want it before Christmas.

I expect they will be. Tim Cook said supply will be very constrained especially outside the US. Could be very long wait times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Whats wrong with it or is it just too slow for your needs?

I have a white late 2006 iMac and its still used everyday. I did have to replace the hard drive but apart from that its been fault free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 macfan35

want 21.5 mac. can't wait any longer!! will they be available in store on limited supply this Friday 30th November or is that just the date you can order for delivery. I'm guessing a couple of weeks by the time you receive?!!

macfan35 wrote: »
    want 21.5 mac. can't wait any longer!! will they be available in store on limited supply this Friday 30th November or is that just the date you can order for delivery. I'm guessing a couple of weeks by the time you receive?!!

Maybe drop into one of the Apple resellers like CompuB and ask will they be getting any stock. Probably the best chance will be online though.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Whats wrong with it or is it just too slow for your needs?

I have a white late 2006 iMac and its still used everyday. I did have to replace the hard drive but apart from that its been fault free.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it as such, it's just too slow for what I need it for. I had to replace the hard drive on mine too but that's all.

I've been using my Mrs Macbook Air more and more recently and realised how slow my iMac was in comparison. I'll be stripping my old iMac down and re-installing the software from scratch so it'll be interesting to see how it performs then. I want to pass it onto my dad as his is ten years old at this stage.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Maybe drop into one of the Apple resellers like CompuB and ask will they be getting any stock. Probably the best chance will be online though.

I need to get mine online as I'm going for that fuzion drive. It's only available as an add-on with the higher spec 21 inch model. Not available with the lower spec one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it as such, it's just too slow for what I need it for. I had to replace the hard drive on mine too but that's all.

I've been using my Mrs Macbook Air more and more recently and realised how slow my iMac was in comparison. I'll be stripping my old iMac down and re-installing the software from scratch so it'll be interesting to see how it performs then. I want to pass it onto my dad as his is ten years old at this stage.

The SSD in the Air would make a huge difference.

The SSD in the Air would make a huge difference.

Yes, now I know why everybody raves about it. It really does make a huge difference. That's also why I'm opting for the Fusion drive on the new iMac.

I need to get mine online as I'm going for that fuzion drive. It's only available as an add-on with the higher spec 21 inch model. Not available with the lower spec one.

If it's BTO then you'll almost definitely have to order from the Apple online store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

DubDJ wrote: »
    If it's BTO then you'll almost definitely have to order from the Apple online store.
    BTO machines can be ordered in Compu b stores

BTO machines can be ordered in Compu b stores

But it will have to be ordered still? The OP won't be able to pick it up in the shop on launch day. Eg they won't have different BTO configurations on the day.

Ordered mine online just now. Delivery between December 13-18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

This might seem a stupid question, but can you install your own RAM in the new iMacs? It's just the way the new bodies are designed, I'm wondering if it can be as easily installed as it was in the previous models. Apple's fairly expensive for RAM, so I want to save some money by buying it elsewhere.

humanji wrote: »
    This might seem a stupid question, but can you install your own RAM in the new iMacs? It's just the way the new bodies are designed, I'm wondering if it can be as easily installed as it was in the previous models. Apple's fairly expensive for RAM, so I want to save some money by buying it elsewhere.

iFixit usually has a tear down and repairability score pretty fast with Apple stuff. Keep your eye on their site and see what they have to say. I've a feeling it'll be difficult if not impossible. Apple could have changed it like the Retina Pro's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

In a similar boat. Buying a machine for work. Going for the upgrade to 16GB RAM (2 x 8GB) for an extra €200 - couldn't possible justify 32GB for €599.

Hope, though bearing in mind DubDJ's caveats, that I can slot in another 2 x 8GB later at a more reasonable price.

Just as a little extra discount for anybody ordering. Use http://store.apple.com/ie-edu for the education discount. No proof is needed and it should save €150+ depending on what configuration you order.

I was a student when I ordered mine but I've ordered since and never needed proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Early teardown up: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11/21-imac-teardown-shows-newly-rearranged-innards/

Difficult to replace but not soldered to motherboard, it appears.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

humanji wrote: »
    27 inch, yes. 21 inch, no.

Thanks Dubdj and SP. Cancelled my order, added on the extra RAM and got the student discount. Hate buying RAM from apple and was going to buy more later but it wouldn't be worth it if you had to drag it to a Mac shop to get it done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement