Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving from ireland to uk..

Options
  • 27-11-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey,as the title says im seriously considering moving to the uk in search of some work..dont mind what part i go to,just wondering has anyone on here done it recently and how they got on with the job hunt?is it as bad over there as it is here?ive no trade or that as ive mostly been working in warehouses and a bit of courier work here and there,any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated,thanks..:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Don't think it is straight forward. Its a foreign country that has similarities to Ireland but is different on nearly every level.

Some of the northern cities are struggling so I would recommended staying to the south of the country. Personally I would recommend staying away from London due to the high living costs and the sheer size of the place meaning you are merely a number. I still visit London but for the fun parts. Plenty of other cities in the south with jobs.

If you want work here you will find work but be committed to treating the job search as a full time job. Also be prepared to deal with recruitment agencies that are a pain in the @rse. I had quite a slow start but after about three weeks I was turning down interviews and cheery picking what I wanted. Ended up with a full time contract in an industry I wised to work in.

Start looking at job sites such as www.reed.co.uk which I found to be very good. Figure out what city you would like to live in, try and find a work life balance.

Look up info on, availability of jobs, living costs, opening bank account, getting national Insurance number, learning the lingo, accepting that you cant find a good pint of Guinness etc...

Advertisement