Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who offers best trade in?

Options
  • 27-11-2012 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Considering trading in my PS3, & looking maybe into getting a Super Slim. My original is a 60GB launch model, fully boxed & has never given any trouble. Reads discs perfectly etc.

How much should I expect to get for it when trading in, & who offers the best deal? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Sell it on adverts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sell it on adverts

Yeah I have it listed alright, but given the console is 'special', its probably priced out of the water. Its on firmware 3.55 & this adds to the value a fair bit, people in the know will know why.

No sign of it moving though so I just figured I'd ask what I'm likely to get in a store, pittens no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Greyian

Well, you say it's priced out of the water because it's special, but that "added value" isn't going to be taken into account by any shop accepting trade-ins I don't think. I also don't think the fact that it is backwards compatible will be worth much (or anything at all) anymore in shops. I think HMV are giving something like €140 or €160 (credit) for the 250GB PS3 Slim now, but I'm not 100% sure on that. To be honest, the trade in value on an original PS3 is probably pretty woeful.

As Eddie said, your best bet will almost certainly be Adverts (or any sort of private sale really).

Out of interest, why would you be trading in the original, BC PS3 for a super slim?

Greyian wrote: »
    Well, you say it's priced out of the water because it's special, but that "added value" isn't going to be taken into account by any shop accepting trade-ins I don't think. I also don't think the fact that it is backwards compatible will be worth much (or anything at all) anymore in shops. I think HMV are giving something like €140 or €160 (credit) for the 250GB PS3 Slim now, but I'm not 100% sure on that. To be honest, the trade in value on an original PS3 is probably pretty woeful.

As Eddie said, your best bet will almost certainly be Adverts (or any sort of private sale really).

Out of interest, why would you be trading in the original, BC PS3 for a super slim?

Aye yeah, any added value it may have by being on 3.55 will no doubt be negated in a shop as it'll mean nothing to them. The PS2 compatibility comes secondary really to what else it can do if someone decides to install a cfw on it, but again, only those in the know would see the additional value there.

As regards why I'd trade it in/sell it, few reasons really. There were a load of reports of consoles {older Phat type} that decided to stop working when the 3.61 update came out...so I'd be reluctant to install any further official firmware on it for fear of it doing the same. Also consoles on this firmware are fairly hard to come by, I'd rather get a new console & leave this one as is...most people are now looking for hardware flashers to get back to this firmware, an expensive & tricky job to downgrade.

So it'd prob be a really poor offer by a shop by all accounts, if they're ofering that for a Slim?

Cheers for the input lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

EnterNow wrote: »
    Aye yeah, any added value it may have by being on 3.55 will no doubt be negated in a shop as it'll mean nothing to them. The PS2 compatibility comes secondary really to what else it can do if someone decides to install a cfw on it, but again, only those in the know would see the additional value there.

As regards why I'd trade it in/sell it, few reasons really. There were a load of reports of consoles {older Phat type} that decided to stop working when the 3.61 update came out...so I'd be reluctant to install any further official firmware on it for fear of it doing the same. Also consoles on this firmware are fairly hard to come by, I'd rather get a new console & leave this one as is...most people are now looking for hardware flashers to get back to this firmware, an expensive & tricky job to downgrade.

So it'd prob be a really poor offer by a shop by all accounts, if they're ofering that for a Slim?

Cheers for the input lads

It's very, very low in gamestop. My friend recently got offered 30 euro for his 40gb :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Very few stores take the pre slim consoles now, CEX will give you a minimum of €92 cash or €123 credit for your PS3.

http://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SPS3PS3E002

cloud493 wrote: »
    It's very, very low in gamestop. My friend recently got offered 30 euro for his 40gb :eek:

Holy crap, thats mental!

Aye it is, don't think HMV are much better. I traded my 160gb slim in there recently to get a super slim, only got 130.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

GameStop, I rekon

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Is that for real, I was thinking of going to gamestop with my 40gb, but if thats all you get I'll keep it.

• Advertisement

GameStop, I rekon

Missed the CEX link above I take it?

Sold this in the end for quite a bit more than the cex trade in price, the firmware version really does make all the difference!

Now, what to do with the proceeds! I do have a PS3 shaped hole in my collection now, but my gut is telling me to wait a while before getting a new one. €300 is still pretty dear for the super slim 500GB, a console thats likely in the last year of its shelf life

But the best PS3 games are out next year!

But the best PS3 games are out next year!

Yep, I've heard that good things are on the way so I do wanna get a PS3 again, I'm just not sure about buying one now, or in the xmas sales, or to even wait another year. €300 is a bit steep for me to spend on a 6 year old product, though I don't wanna buy 2nd hand either

That is a steep price, but you'll get one cheaper than that, and the PS3 has a least a year left in it :p

and the PS3 has a least a year left in it :p

Of course, but once the next incarnation comes along then it'll drop massively in value...& considering thats likely to be only a year or so away, I don't really wanna pay full price for one now.

What I meant by in the last year of its shelf life, is by being a current gen console. Once its not, expect them much cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Of course, but once the next incarnation comes along then it'll drop massively in value...& considering thats likely to be only a year or so away, I don't really wanna pay full price for one now.

What I meant by in the last year of its shelf life, is by being a current gen console. Once its not, expect them much cheaper

I'd say Sony are more than likely to increase HDD size or bundle something while keeping the lower price points. The PS2 was at €150 for a long time before it dropped to €99 or less, if sales remain high even with a PS4 it'll be a good while before a price drop.

Amazon uk had the super slim up for £138.74 it's a tiny bit more with the extra for Irish vat and depending on the exchange rate it could be €170-180. I think the HDD mount (should be free to order even if it's not included) cost under a tenner and I would assume you'd have a few HDD around the place.

Still not point in buying one until you want to use it.

Varik wrote: »
    I'd say Sony are more than likely to increase HDD size or bundle something while keeping the lower price points. The PS2 was at €150 for a long time before it dropped to €99 or less, if sales remain high even with a PS4 it'll be a good while before a price drop.

Yeah true, but €150 seems a damn sight more attractive than €300. I know there's a super slim 12GB, but again you buy a decent sized hdd etc there's prob not much in the difference.
    Amazon uk had the super slim up for £138.74 it's a tiny bit more with the extra for Irish vat and depending on the exchange rate it could be €170-180. I think the HDD mount (should be free to order even if it's not included) cost under a tenner and I would assume you'd have a few HDD around the place.

I take it thats the 12GB model? If you buy the mount, can it accomodate the hdd internally, or is it a bolt on exterior jobbie?
    Still not point in buying one until you want to use it.

Well I kinda do, I wanna play through all the Uncharted games, the God of War HD stuff & a few others like Journey etc. I just can't justify 300 bones though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Yeah true, but €150 seems a damn sight more attractive than €300. I know there's a super slim 12GB, but again you buy a decent sized hdd etc there's prob not much in the difference.

Depends, a HDD can be gotten very cheaply. You're paying for the HDD when you buy a PS3, it might be cheaper/better in the long run to get the smallest/cheapest and buy your own drive.
    I take it thats the 12GB model? If you buy the mount, can it accomodate the hdd internally, or is it a bolt on exterior jobbie?

Yes, it's the 12GB

Internal, pretty much the same as mount that's used in the older PS3s but just different enough to not work with an older one. It's just a little metal bracket that screws on the sides of the drive which then you slot the whole lot into the PS3.

Varik wrote: »
    Depends, a HDD can be gotten very cheaply. You're paying for the HDD when you buy a PS3, it might be cheaper/better in the long run to get the smallest/cheapest and buy your own drive.

Yes, it's the 12GB

Internal, pretty much the same as mount that's used in the older PS3s but just different enough to not work with an older one. It's just a little metal bracket that screws on the sides of the drive which then you slot the whole lot into the PS3.

Cheers for the info, that changes the game somewhat. Might be worth looking at the 12GB model & sticking a hdd in thats lying spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Advertisement