Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2012 Boards forecast contest

Options
  • 27-11-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭

(not to be confused with winter forecast contest in a separate thread)

We have the usual five questions and a bonus in the very exciting end of year "decider" in what seems to be a close race as I review the November likely scores.

1. Predict the IMT for December, the 1981-2010 average was 5.7 C -- data thanks to Deep Easterly.

2. Predict the maximum temperature for December at any met.ie station as reported in the Monthly Summary.

3. Predict the minimum temperature for December at any met.ie station as reported in the Monthly Summary.

4. Predict the rainfall as percentage of normal values, as reported for eleven met-ie stations in the Monthly Summary.

5. Predict the sunshine as percentage of normal values, as reported for however many (seems to be holding at six) met-ie stations in the Monthly Summary.

6. Bonus question. It's the usual Christmas forecast question .... predict the max and min for Christmas Day (25th, no kidding) at Dublin Airport. As you know, the order is really the min and max, usually, but give them as max then min (as reported for the 24h calendar day). And we always award three extra bonus points if you correctly predict (yes or no) a white Christmas as defined by most bookmakers, falling snow, at any of the official weather stations run by Met-E (not Boards posters at their homes in Greenland etc).

Here's a template, we may have a form in the thread too, so as long as you submit a forecast one way or the other, and the form will be the only way to enter come January. So get used to that, but this month you can do it the old-fashioned way if you wish.

TEMPLATE ...

IMT ... MAX ... MIN ... PRC ... SUN ... DUB 25th MAX/MIN ... Y/N

Note if you get max and min out of order, we'll switch it to the right order.

Deadlines as per usual, on time to 0300h Sunday 2nd, but new penalties now apply, it's just 10 points per day regardless of what you score, days run from 0300 to 0300. I will clarify that by counting them down, not much point in entering by 5th but this takes away that problem of being too late, now it's more like too bad than too late. :)

Good luck and don't forget to enter the seasonal contest too.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We Have a form.

You may directly enter the data into an entry spreadsheet through this form

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?pli=1&formkey=dElyZTJQeUJzVjdnQ1JBcThYdHpCSEE6MQ#gid=0

You may see PREVIOUS entries via the form at any time. Click Here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtUtXLdGJb5dElyZTJQeUJzVjdnQ1JBcThYdHpCSEE&pli=1#gid=0

Once you enter through the form post "Done" in this thread so we know its you.

If you change your mind before closing time reenter through the form again, in full, and post "Done Again" so we know it is still you. No restriction on changes of mind. :)

People who enter manually by posting values in the thread will have those entries added to the spreadsheet later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

IMT 5.1
    MAX 11.6
    MIN -5.2
    PRC 95%
    SUN 105%
    DUB 25th - MAX 8.5 /MIN -3.2
    NO :-(

(the no is a win win IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

5.1 ... 12.7 ... -6.1 ... 104 ... 105 ... 11/6 ... N

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

4.0.... 11.2.... -11.7.... 99.... 112.... 3.9/-4.5.... Y

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

3.5....13....-13.5....68....180...2.5/-10.5...Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    We Have a form.

You may directly enter the data into an entry spreadsheet through this form

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?pli=1&formkey=dElyZTJQeUJzVjdnQ1JBcThYdHpCSEE6MQ#gid=0

You may see PREVIOUS entries via the form at any time. Click Here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtUtXLdGJb5dElyZTJQeUJzVjdnQ1JBcThYdHpCSEE&pli=1#gid=0

Once you enter through the form post "Done" in this thread so we know its you.

If you change your mind before closing time reenter through the form again, in full, and post "Done Again" so we know it is still you. No restriction on changes of mind. :)

People who enter manually by posting values in the thread will have those entries added to the spreadsheet later on.

Problem is, there is no security.
    I think I'll submit for MT!
    But we're an honorable lot.
    Aren't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Done

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tae laidir wrote: »
    Problem is, there is no security.
    I think I'll submit for MT! But we're an honorable lot. Aren't we?

Eh??? The "Done" validates the entry. A form entry with no corresponding "done" is simply discarded once entries close.

Google spreadsheets also have a full revision history (visible to editors in file menu) so every single change is fully tracked. You can view the spreadsheet at any time but the only way for a non editor to add data is via the entry form and there is no way to change data. Anybody may download the data at any time and mess around with it in Excel themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

Done,

been lurking here for long enough that I may as well give this a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Done. Haven't a clue how to forecast but I read regularly so may as well guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

5.6...12.8....-6.8...129...75...7.8..-2.9

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

3.9...13....-10.5....68....160...2.5/-8.5...Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jostef

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

First of all, here's my forecast ...

5.0 ... 12.5 ... -7.3 ... 100 ... 105 ... 8.5..2.3 .. No

Now, a clarification of the contest structure for 2013, for your information and interest:

We will run the two existing contests just the same way as before, your best ten scores in 2013 and your total score for 2013 will qualify you in the Boards and the MTC Award categories.

A new contest structure is now added, the Seasonal competition, which will also generate an annual champion. This will run from the current month (Dec 2012) to Nov 2013. The points for this contest will be generated as follows:

1. Each season will be scored by total points but to qualify, an entrant must have entered all three months.

2. The annual "seasonal contest -- Weather forum Award" with free postal service within Donegal (details to be confirmed) :) will be based on a ranking system that is quite simple, ten points for first, seven for second, five for third and then so on down to one point for seventh to tenth inclusive. The annual winner will be the person whose total ranking score is the highest on this basis, regardless of how many seasons he or she qualifies to score.

This seasonal contest will add a bit of spice to the stew and give those who may feel that they are out of the main contest by summer something to play for besides pride (especially if they mail a lot of letters to Letterkenny).

As usual, I have only a slight idea what I am saying, but as long as you do then we're good.

2 go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

4.9 ... 11.5 ... -5.9 ... 100 ... 100 ... 9.5/4.5 ... N

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

DONE

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

5.3....12.6....-6.8....90....110....5.4,-3.4,Y
    Done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

done

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭dasa29

Done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭rameire

Done,
    hopefully December will be a better month than November has been for me, soooo close.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

3.9, 10, -6.5, 100, 95, 2/-3, yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Done..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement