Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old creditcard debt Question

Options
  • 27-11-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey there, To make a long story short, I have an outstanding debt of about 1000 Euros from a BOI mastercard from 06, I have been abroad since then only returning in the last few weeks. I do plan on paying it of but at the moment it's not possible.

Questions

1.will other banks allow me to open an account?

2.Some one mentioned this debt might be written off.. Is this true?

Thank you people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hey there, To make a long story short, I have an outstanding debt of about 1000 Euros from a BOI mastercard from 06, I have been abroad since then only returning in the last few weeks. I do plan on paying it of but at the moment it's not possible.

Questions

1.will other banks allow me to open an account?

2.Some one mentioned this debt might be written off.. Is this true?

Thank you people

Your ICB record may have impact on your ability to open an account. Some will say its gone off the ICB as older than 5 years. However its 5 years from completion of the debt so could still be there in theory. Probably not. It probably will be on ICB for 5 years from write off.

This brings us to write off. Its more than likely this has been written off due to the age of it. However this doesnt mean you dont own it. It just means the bank have marked the debt down as good chance of not getting it back. THis is often done when banks commence legal action or recovery of debt through collection agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 keithkeith111

Thanks for the input Chirs.

So basically I just have to hit and hope?

Can I be refused a bank account because i have an outstanding debt wiht another bank?

Thanks for the input Chirs.

So basically I just have to hit and hope?

Can I be refused a bank account because i have an outstanding debt wiht another bank?

You can be refused a bank account for any reason the bank want really. Realistically they are doing ICB checks on new accounts and if there are bad history with debts you can most certainly be refused a new account with the bank.

I suggest you get a copy of your ICB report from www.icb.ie. Costs about €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 keithkeith111

So what happens to a person if the banks just refuse to open an account for them? How can one get a job or a place ot live, or even lodge a socail welfare cheque?

Surely the goverment must have some provision for this?

So what happens to a person if the banks just refuse to open an account for them? How can one get a job or a place ot live, or even lodge a socail welfare cheque?

Surely the goverment must have some provision for this?

A bank may consider this regular income from a job or SW and open an account for you to use. This would be most likely from the bank where you have the CC debt owing if you agree to make some payments off it. Its in the banks interest to get you an account so you can get paying off the CC.

Any other bank would not see a lot good to taken you on as you would most likely be eligible for their credit products (loans, CC's, overdraft) and since banks dont really make much, or often a loss, on current account then not good to take you on as a customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sungem

Banks do not carry out ICB checks on customers to open an account however if you request a credit facility an ICB check will then be carried out.

sungem wrote: »
    Banks do not carry out ICB checks on customers to open an account however if you request a credit facility an ICB check will then be carried out.

yes they do. They started doing it in the last few years. Most banks are anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sungem

I work in one of the 'pillar' banks :o and we don't carry out credit checks for new customers, however if a customer who had previously left an unpaid debt in the bank tried to open a new a/c, that info would still be there regardless of the length of time..

sungem wrote: »
    I work in one of the 'pillar' banks :o and we don't carry out credit checks for new customers, however if a customer who had previously left an unpaid debt in the bank tried to open a new a/c, that info would still be there regardless of the length of time..

Maybe your banks arent. fair enough.

Advertisement